Ngakpa International - Vajrayana Training

Sonam Wangchug

Re: Ngakpa International - Vajrayana Training

Post by Sonam Wangchug »

Lhasa wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:10 am
Sonam Wangchug wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:07 am
Lhasa wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:55 am

What does the word 'support' mean in this case? Garchen RInpoche just recently showed a poster like print he created, for Vajrakilaya practice and he called it a 'support'. What does this mean?
A support for ones practice, as it aids ones practice, for example in making offerings, or in helping one to visualize.
Or creating a portal for the deity to manifest?
Yes, like the many practice supports which have spoken, issued prophecies, given teachings, etc.

The White Tara thangka of Jamyang khyentse wangpo, for example.
"To have confidence in the teacher is the ultimate refuge." -Rigzin Jigme Lingpa
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

Sonam Wangchug wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:16 am
Lhasa wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:10 am
Sonam Wangchug wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:07 am

A support for ones practice, as it aids ones practice, for example in making offerings, or in helping one to visualize.
Or creating a portal for the deity to manifest?
Yes, like the many practice supports which have spoken, issued prophecies, given teachings, etc.

The White Tara thangka of Jamyang khyentse wangpo, for example.
So printing out the Vajrakilaya support from Garchen Rinpoche, and placing a phurba to stand on top of it during practice, would be acceptable?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:49 amAnd yet, even so, there are still lamas who think ChNN is totally wrong and not qualified.
And there are people that think the Pope is infallible. So what?

The point is that he was recognised by the head of a lineage and received traditional training from members of recognised lineages.

The point is that YOU chose your teachers on the basis of these types of qualifiers, yet here it seems you are telling people that these qualifiers are not actually valid. You are tacitly advocating that people ignore valid qualifiers and follow whoever they feel is fit.

That's pretty rich coming from an Acharya.

The fact that people choose unqualified teachers merely underlines the need for reliance on lineage. It does not annul it.

Seems to me you are arguing merely to satisfy a need to be right, than to actually prove a valid point.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Anders

Post by Anders »

I can dig Malcolm's argument up to a point. Credentials are nice to have, but not all who have them are accomplished. And conversely not all who are accomplished will have credentials. While it is something I would never entirely ignore, and think should always be valid to ask why a given teacher might lack them, ultimately our discernment of a teacher ought to be on deeper criteria than this.

At the end of the day, however deluded sentient beings as we may be, and however the credentials chain is supposed to be the seal of approval of other realised beings, we have to take our own responsibility as students seriously and back our own judgement of the person in front of us. Picking a teacher, like practice, isn't something others can do for us
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

She is close to this Chodpa. Does this give her some legitimation?

Btw that is the Chodpa that did Chöd practice at Lama Dawa Chödak Rinpoches funeral, Chodpa Kunzang Dorjee.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Tiago Simões wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:32 amShe is close to this Chodpa. Does this give her some legitimation?

Btw that is the Chodpa that did Chöd practice at Lama Dawa Chödak Rinpoches funeral, Chodpa Kunzang Dorjee.
No, not necessarily. I am pretty close to Loppon Ogyan Tanzin and have photos on my Facebook page together with him, what legitimacy does that afford me?

Let me answer: ZERO

He has not authorised me to teach. He has not recognised me as a lineage holder. He certainly did not enthrone me as a tulku and would probably kick my ass if I even mentioned something like that to him.

These guys were pretty tight too, reckon HHDL's presence lends our now dearly departed friend Ashara any credibility? No, I am not comparing her to Ashara, just making a point.

asahara-dalai-lama.png
asahara-dalai-lama.png (72.19 KiB) Viewed 3410 times

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Forrestyogi wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:42 amThis person you are harassing has a PhD in Tibetan Buddhism...
A what???
has been enthroned as a tulku in a public ceremony...
By whom?
Lion’s roar markets her. Lamas market her. Her students market her. Retreat centers market her. Her own dharma centers market her. Conferences market her. Friends market her.
So she is good at marketing. So what?

Shambala were pretty good at marketing too, look where that got them.

It is not cyber bullying to ask a teacher for their credentials. Not in the slightest.

So, you seem to know a lot about her: Who enthroned her as a tulku? Who recognised her as a lineage holder for the Kagyu and Nyingmapa?

Look: for the sake of her students I sincerely hope that she is a lineage holder, that she is a tulku and that she displays rainbow body upon her Parinirvana.

So far though, there has been a distinct lack of concrete evidence.

Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

Grigoris wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:13 am It is not cyber bullying to ask a teacher for their credentials. Not in the slightest.
Although I agree, I also wonder if it is necessarily a requirement for teachers to go around publicly advertising their gurus?

I mean Sogyal advertised that he was jamyang khyentse chökyi lodrös disciple, did that give him legitimacy?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Tiago Simões wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:35 amI mean Sogyal advertised that he was jamyang khyentse chökyi lodrös disciple, did that give him legitimacy?
As a teacher or as a sex offender?

Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

Grigoris wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:40 am
Tiago Simões wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:35 amI mean Sogyal advertised that he was jamyang khyentse chökyi lodrös disciple, did that give him legitimacy?
As a teacher or as a sex offender?
My point being that advertising ones teachers publicly doesn't make one an authentic guru.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Tiago Simões wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:51 amMy point being that advertising ones teachers publicly doesn't make one an authentic guru.
I agree BUT:

There are specific claims being made. For these claims to be validated some questions need to be answered.

If you don't make claims, then people generally will not ask questions.

Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

I find this position that everything is relative so lets not care about rules, quite boring. Yes, rules are relative, but lets be honest they work in quite a huge number of times. How many of us can actually say we can see someones spiritual relization? Not many. For us who do not see it these rules are a pretty good thing to use when choosing a teacher. Yes mistakes are made, but that is why we have our own common sense to go by and we have to use it before making big commitments with the teacher.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Tiago Simões wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:32 am Image

Is this the same lady?
https://www.pemakhandro.org/pema-khandr ... biography/
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

amanitamusc wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:04 am
Tiago Simões wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:32 am Image

Is this the same lady?
Yes.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

amanitamusc wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:04 amIs this the same lady?
Yup. Good find. Thank you.

Here is the full article on her recognition and enthronement: https://www.pemakhandro.org/pema-khandros-recognition/

Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

Forrestyogi wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:42 am Hey did you know this is just a continuation of cyberbullying?
No, we did not know that, because it isn't. Claims are made - we want confirmation. That's normal.

It's failing to do due diligence that let Sogyal Lakar get away with things for so long. Recognized as a third, late, tulku of Terton Sogyal? Rather unlikely in fact. Trained in his younger life in Buddhist traditions? Scarcely. Is it cyber-bullying to raise these points? I don't think so.

Not that I remotely want to suggest that Pema Khandro is anything like S Lakar. My gut feeling is that she is a far superior person, not that I would know.

I don't believe many people would find "marketing herself" inappropriate in the light of her web presence over the years. It's not that awful a claim, anyway.

The rest oi your long piece about cyberbullying is simply irrelevant, as there is no such thing going on here. Read the way questions are also asked about possibly fake male would-be gurus here, and you will see that she is not being given an unusually tough ride.

People are just asking for answers to clear and legitimate questions. If you are going to take the hump about that, it suggests that there may indeed be something (or an absence of something) to hide.
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

What is weird, is that all this time the groupies did not just post the links to the pages with the information, but instead engaged in all sorts of mental gymnastics, straw men and smoke screens

Tongnyid Dorje

Post by Tongnyid Dorje »

so, now we know about formal recognition, ok. But anyway, I noticed her before, when she was calling herself "Troma Rinpoche" if Im remebering correctly. In those times who gave her this title? Before she was someone else and if Im not wrong, she started with some hindu name...

There was one old yogi at Tso Pema caves, living in retreat for decades. Once appeared there HH 16th Karmapa and asked him to come out of retreat and start to teach. He simply replied "How can I teach? Only when my realization will be equal to Buddha Sakyamuni,I can teach others!" and he stayed in cave.

That should be example for everyone who has strong desire to be a lama, or Rinpoche...

But who knows, may be she have some qualities and we are insulting a real bodhisattva here.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Pema Khandro received a recognition and enthronement by the head of the 900 year old Druk Tashi Dhargey Chokor Dechenling Monastery in Tibet, His Eminence Gyaldak Rinpoche. She was recognized as the present reincarnation (tulku) of a nineteenth-century yogini. She was given the title Pema Khandro Rinpoche when she received the lineage of this nineteenth century yogini who practiced in the Nyingma and Kagyu lineages in Eastern Tibet. She continues the legacy of those teachings focusing on Dzogchen, Chod and the Six Yogas. Gyaldak Rinpoche encouraged her to spread the esoteric teachings of Buddhism in North America and throughout the world.
Anyone got that lama’s WeChat?
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)

Return to “Nyingma”