Chatral Rinpoche's passing

tingdzin

Chatral Rinpoche's passing

Post by tingdzin »

I have just heard that Chatral Rinpoche, probably the last of the traditional Nyingmapa masters from Old Tibet, has just passed away.
Palzang Jangchub

Re: Chatral Rinpoche's passing

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

There aren't words for how sad this is. First Taklung Tsetrul Rinpoche, and now Kyabje Chatral Rinpoche. May this serve as a stark reminder of impermanence and the other common foundations, and instill loving-kindness and compassion in all beings throughout space! Pray that such a great being shows his face on this earth once again!

If you had any connection to Chatral Rinpoche, now is the time to do Guru Yoga.

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Where did you hear this?

In either case, his long lived life is testament to his various accomplishments and realization.

May all of his compassionate aspirations & activities be perfectly fulfilled and may his blessings be all pervasive.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
dzoki

Post by dzoki »

This is very unfortunate, Dujom Rinpoche gave Chadral Rinpoche prophetic command that he has to live until 108 years and that he will manifest rainbow body, however it seems in this age of degeneration nothing can turn out well. :crying:
May Chadral Rinpoche swiftly return as an awesome yogi who will liberate many fortunate disciples!
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

I dont find any new about his death on internet.
emaho

Post by emaho »

I'm afraid it seems to be true. Shechen Shedra has posted it on facebook:
Please aspirations his holiness jadrel Rinpoche passed away in parinirvana on 31st please everyone pray for return soon for all of us
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen
kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung »

HH Kyabje Jadral Rinpoche..jpg
HH Kyabje Jadral Rinpoche..jpg (141.65 KiB) Viewed 8964 times

He was a Dzogchen master and a reclusive yogi known for his great realization and strict discipline. In addition to his relationship with Khenpo Ngagchung, Chatral Rinpoche also studied with some of the last century's most renowned masters, including Dudjom Rinpoche, Jamyang Khyentse Chokyi Lodro, and the famed dakini Sera Khandro. Rinpoche was one of the primary lineage holders of the Longchen Nyingthig, and in particular the lineage that descends through Jigme Lingpa's heart son Jigme Gyalwe Nyugu and then on to Patrul Rinpoche.

He advocated vegetarianism and had a yearly practice of ransoming the lives of thousands of animals in India. In addition to his emphasis on the union of view and conduct, Rinpoche also stressed the practice of retreat. He has established numerous retreat centers throughout the Himalayas, including in Pharping, Yolmo, and Darjeeling.

Message from Dungsey Garab Rinpoche:

"Due to lack of our faith in the Dharma, one more Buddha left us again. What a big loss in general and especially to nyingmapa, the greatest master ever , HH Kyabje Jadral Rinpoche."
The best meditation is no meditation
Punya

Post by Punya »

Nosta wrote:I dont find any new about his death on internet.
A number of sources on Facebook. From Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse Rinpoche:
Homage to Lord Padmakara who has never departed from us even for a moment.

Especially in this age, when in every day, hour and moment there is so much outer turmoil, war and famine, so much inner conflict and degeneration of elements, and secretly no power to trust simplicity, the words of the Buddha, the law of cause and effect, and the blessings of guru and lineage, it is at this time and moment that I beseech you never to depart.

For aeons and aeons your sole aspiration and pledge are never to abandon ignorant beings like us. So this pretence and display of momentarily departing from us is painful. Oh Lord Buddha Vajra, make us realize that this is also a blessing so that we see this fleeing element that we call body and dwelling place as nothing but a house of cards.
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

dzoki wrote:Dujom Rinpoche gave Chadral Rinpoche prophetic command that he has to live until 108 years and that he will manifest rainbow body,

Where did you hear that?
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Manju

Post by Manju »

A message from Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche:

http://www.siddharthasintent.org/about- ... -rinpoche/

and

a quote by Chatral Rinpoche:

`When realization becomes as vast as space, all adverse conditions arise as friends.`

Manju
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Letter from Yangsi Dudjom Rinpoche Sangye Pema Zhepa:
http://www.vajrayana.org/media/files/bo ... irvana.pdf

Letter from Lama Sonam Rinpoche:
http://www.vajrayana.org/files/556/
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

dzogchungpa wrote:Letter from Yangsi Dudjom Rinpoche Sangye Pema Zhepa:
http://www.vajrayana.org/media/files/bo ... irvana.pdf

Letter from Lama Sonam Rinpoche:
http://www.vajrayana.org/files/556/

I like his last testament:
  • First, do not search for a reincarnation after I have passed. Second, all of you must not be sad.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Malcolm wrote:I like his last testament:
  • First, do not search for a reincarnation after I have passed. Second, all of you must not be sad.
A bit on the wordy side, but otherwise excellent. :smile:
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

By reputation, he was an example of a Vajrayana lineage producing a truly enlightened being in modern times--so it's not just ancient history.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

From FB:
Chatral Rinpoche left a testament. It says:

"There is no reincarnation (yangsi) of me.
You need not weep for my sake.
Crying for my sake will not help.
Better than that, entrust your mind to the Dharma.
Let your actions be of help to others.
Especially, settle evenly in the continuity of the natural Great Perfection."

Those are the words he left.

(Faithfully translated by Erik Pema Kunsang). Thanks very much to Erik Pema Kunsang
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

an excellent article from Kuensel Online
Jadrel Sangay Dorji
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

MalaBeads

Post by MalaBeads »

Malcolm wrote:

I like his last testament:
I like it too, very much. It is, to me anyway, the epitome of a dzogchen teachers instructions: do not cling to anything. Let it pass thru you and dissolve.

Bravo, Chatral Rinpoche.
I am well aware of my idiocy. I am also very aware that you too are an idiot. Therein lies our mutuality.
Garudavista

Post by Garudavista »

Sarawasti, Chatral Rinpoche's daughter, wrote a letter that appears to dispute some of the reports being made about Chatral Rinpoche's passing:
Found this translation from the Tibetan by Erick Tsiknopoulos, January 10th, 2016:
Owing to circumstances that, presently, a situation has occurred in which reports that are unfactual, and do not have the name of who wrote them, have come to spread all over the internet, [we must state that] we are not even familiar with the person who is giving the reports, without even the name of who wrote them, saying that His Holiness Jadrël (Chatral) Rinpoché's remains have shrunken; nor are these reports true. Whether our Lama's remains become bigger or smaller, it is impossible that our faith could become higher or lower.
Moreover, we have a request. If you happen to be someone with faith and trust in Rinpoché, we request that you each of you, personally, accomplish virtue and refrain from negativity, do Guru Yoga, engage in practice suitable to your ability, practice vegetarianism (dkar skyong) and so on, and, in brief, exert yourself in actions which are purely wholesome, as much as possible.
In particular, since those who are soliciting donations for the sake of Rinpoché's remains and the like are absolutely not in accord with the intent of Rinpoché himself, we are not soliciting donations [for such ostensible purposes], and you also should please not do so. Please do understand that regardless of who may be soliciting donations saying that it is for the sake of Rinpoché, it is nothing but categorical falsity.
As a final point, we earnestly request that, by all means, you never place confidence in [such] frivolous letters whose authors' names are not listed!

This was written by Sarawasti, in response to the needs of the immediate situation
Attachments
Letter.jpg
Letter.jpg (90.57 KiB) Viewed 7937 times
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

Thanks for posting this, Garudavista, and to Mr. Tsiknopoulos for the quick and accurate translation. I'm sure Sarasvati will have her hands full with such concerns in the near future.

Return to “Nyingma”