Dudjom Tersar Roll Call

AspiringDakini

Dudjom Tersar Roll Call

Post by AspiringDakini »

Hello Dharma Family,

I currently live on the East Coast and am looking to make a move to the west where the Dharma is more prevalent (specifically Dudjom Tersar) and where I can be closer to practicing communities and retreat centers. Does anyone have any suggestions of areas where there are practice centers that are easily accessible or where practitioners get together? I've been looking into Eugene, Oregon (Saraha Nyingma Buddhist Institute) as well as areas around Pema Osel Ling and a few others.

Thanks!

:buddha1: :bow:
Thomas Amundsen

Re: Dudjom Tersar Roll Call

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

There is also Tashi Choling in Ashland, Oregon. In Alameda (Bay Area), there is Orgyen Dorje Den. In Santa Monica (Los Angeles), there is Yeshe Nyingpo. There is also L'hundrup Choling in West LA, which is not strictly Dudjom Tersar, but heavily practices Dudjom Tersar.
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

There used to be a Tersar Community in Cottage Grove, Oregon as well.
Pema Yolo

Post by Pema Yolo »

This might help. It has a google map too.

https://github.com/PemaGelek/Dudjom-Ter ... /README.md
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

I knew Lama Sonam many years ago in Eugene/Cottage Grove...one of the most compassionate and helpful teachers you could ever ask for. I dont know about the Saraha Nyingma Buddhist Institute but he is apparently one of the teachers there. When I knew him he had already done the entire ngondro close to ten times...probably a lot more by now. I am originally from Eugene...its a wonderful town...if you dont mind the rain...its kind of like a mini Seattle without all of the pretense
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

I visit Saraha whenever I am in Eugene, I guess they now have a resident Lama teaching (Tulku Sangye), and it's a place with -serious- vibes, you can catch the mojo just walking in.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

AspiringDakini wrote:Hello Dharma Family,

I currently live on the East Coast and am looking to make a move to the west where the Dharma is more prevalent (specifically Dudjom Tersar) and where I can be closer to practicing communities and retreat centers. Does anyone have any suggestions of areas where there are practice centers that are easily accessible or where practitioners get together? I've been looking into Eugene, Oregon (Saraha Nyingma Buddhist Institute) as well as areas around Pema Osel Ling and a few others.

Thanks!

:buddha1: :bow:
Dudjom Tersar features prominently at the Chagdud Gonpa Dharma centers. I'm most familiar with Padma Ling in Spokane, which is a lovely place (I hope the excellent Lama Inge is still there). Ati Ling is great too but I've only been to an old location (this was maybe thirteen or more years ago).
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

I now go to Pema Osel Ling, but I'm two hours away, so I don't go often enough. They have a Ngondro program that I participate in, which is a helpful support. It's an awesome center and the area is beautiful, just a bit on the expensive side. :smile:
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

Gyatrul Rinpoche's centers also mainly practice the Dudjom Tersar. Those are Tashi Choling in Oregon and Orgyen Dorje Den in Alameda California. Also the Abhaya Foundation in the Bay Area started in 2014, Tulku Jigme Wangdrak Rinpoche. http://www.abhayafellowship.org/

All of these centers you have mentioned are very friendly towards each other. To my mind, it is like one big network of Nyingmapas in which each person chooses to affiliate mainly with the lama and practice community that resonates with them the most.

Satellites to these centers are the Pristine Mind (Orgyen Chowang Rinpoche) in Marin that specializes mainly in Dzogchen Sem De and Anam Thubten in Point Richmond. Both of these lamas lived at Pema Osel Ling in the nineties, but they don't emphasize ngondro and three roots practice. Lama Pema Dorje Rinpoche, one of Dudjom Rinpoche's disciples, has a residence in the Bay Area but does not have a center.

If you can afford to live here, it is a Tersar paradise.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Yudron wrote:If you can afford to live here, it is a Tersar paradise.
Indeed, especially when you take into account the presence of Oakland's fledgling ling, Yudron Ling. :smile:
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

Ha Ha. Lama Tharchin Rinpoche actually called it that, joking. It has now officially become a ngakpa house named Ngakchang Gatshal, translated by Lama Pema Dorje Rinpoche (according to the intended meaning) as Happy Garden of Practitioners. I had the letters carved for a sign while I was in Dharamshala. Lama Pema Dorje Rinpoche will be teaching on Guru Rinpoche and the Vajra Guru mantra here on the 14th—all are invited to our little abode. We will also do a lot of tsoks here and observances of the four Great Wheel days—a no-holds-barred merit factory. :woohoo:

And with that I will fade into the background again, wishing everyone a happy new year—rich in practice. :anjali:

Return to “Nyingma”