New to Nyingma - Longchen Nyingtik - Lingtrul Rinpoche

Mahina_Nima

New to Nyingma - Longchen Nyingtik - Lingtrul Rinpoche

Post by Mahina_Nima »

Hey guys!
So I'm pretty new to Buddhism and I am having troubles starting. I live in Canada on the West cost and I have been searching around teachers and centres. I can across Lingtrul Rinpoche and for some reason I feel very drawn towards him and would love to meet him in the near future.
At the moment I'm not in Canada however I'll be there late summer. So I have a few questions in preparation:
1) what should I be reading the meantime, so that when I do go to the centre I would understand things better. I would like to eventually take refuge and follow ngondro.
2) how does one go about asking to be a student of a particular Dharma teacher? (I'm completely new to such thing :shock: )
3) I do breathing meditation everyday forcusing on my breath. But how should I go about to have a "Dharma" routine where I meditate, contemplate, learn and basically live Dharma.

Hope it was not too confusing and long!

Much appreciated

:namaste:

DGA
Former staff member

Re: New to Nyingma - Longchen Nyingtik - Lingtrul Rinpoche

Post by DGA »

The basic recipe is as follows:

Take your time finding a teacher who has all the qualities of a well-qualified master. Once you find that teacher, follow his or her instructions as carefully as you can. Do your best. When you make a mistake, apologize and try hard not to repeat it. Keep going like that for the rest of your life.

If possible, attend public teachings and pay attention to how students interact with you (a newcomer), with each other, and with the master. Are these people you would want to emulate? Is this a situation you want to have as a major part of your life? If so, then keep going.

This doesn't answer all your questions but it may help some.

madhusudan

Post by madhusudan »

I hope you make a good connection with this teacher. My responses:

1) Words of my Perfect Teacher
2) Just go and attend teachings. Later, ask for lung to ngondro.
3) Big question :) For a start if you are not already doing so, I would suggest that you add the 3 Supreme Methods to every meditation session, which in brief is to 1. generate Bodhicitta, 2. do the practice without any conceptualization, 3. dedicate the merit to the complete enlightenment of all mother beings.

Mahina_Nima

Post by Mahina_Nima »

madhusudan wrote:I hope you make a good connection with this teacher. My responses:

1) Words of my Perfect Teacher
2) Just go and attend teachings. Later, ask for lung to ngondro.
3) Big question :) For a start if you are not already doing so, I would suggest that you add the 3 Supreme Methods to every meditation session, which in brief is to 1. generate Bodhicitta, 2. do the practice without any conceptualization, 3. dedicate the merit to the complete enlightenment of all mother beings.

Thank you! That really helps :)

Return to “Nyingma”