Vidyadhara Heruka - Dudjom Lineage Tree

ddorje

Vidyadhara Heruka - Dudjom Lineage Tree

Post by ddorje » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:36 am

Within the Dudjom Tersar Lineage Tree, amongst the 8 Kagye Deities below the central Guru Rinpoche is a ninth figure; a white Heruka in union with a light-red consort. According to Robert Beer's description, this is Vidyadhara Heruka:

"Below the Buddha assembly is the standing white form of Vidyadhara Heruka, who embraces his consort with his arms crossed in vajrahumkara-mudra as he holds his vajra and bell, while his light-red consort holds a skull-cup and makes the threatening tarjani gesture."

After years of seeing this lineage tree thangka, I had always thought this Heruka to be one of the Kagye, but it seems its not the case.

Does anyone have any further knowledge?

Thank you in advance
'Maybe you collect a lot of important writings, major texts, personal instructions private notes, whatever. If you haven't practiced, books won't help you when you die. Look at the mind - that's my sincere advice' - Longchen Rabjam

dzoki

Re: Vidyadhara Heruka - Dudjom Lineage Tree

Post by dzoki » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:38 am

You probably mean this refuge field: https://unikmetal.ru/prefix/0829abb48cd ... b13346.jpg

That heruka is Vajradharma - the vidyadhara heruka in outer sadhana of Dudjom Lingpa's Sangwa Desheg Dupa, which featuers the body mandala of Mohottara heruka containing other 8 herukas, though their forms are diffetent from the ones depicted in the refuge field. He might also figure in Dudjom Rinpoche's Kagye Gudu. He basically represents guru Padmasambhava and his mandala of vidyadharas.

ddorje

Re: Vidyadhara Heruka - Dudjom Lineage Tree

Post by ddorje » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:33 am

That's the one!

Oh I see, thank you!

The Guru Yoga of Dudjom Lingpa (vol. 15 (ba), p. 1-4) also includes a reference to him as Chemchog Vajra Heruka.
'Maybe you collect a lot of important writings, major texts, personal instructions private notes, whatever. If you haven't practiced, books won't help you when you die. Look at the mind - that's my sincere advice' - Longchen Rabjam