Lying down and seeing Buddhist videos

MatthewAngby

Lying down and seeing Buddhist videos

Post by MatthewAngby »

Hello all. I was told by my grandma that we should sit when we r listening to dharma talks .. unless we are unwell of course. May I ask if it is always like that? Can I lie down and see Buddhist music and videos ?
Thanks all!
philji

Re: Lying down and seeing Buddhist videos

Post by philji »

You are going to get different replies from different people here..all with their own views... my own teacher does not recommend it even for mantra practice.. shamata however is different and can be done. I guess sitting up is a way of respect. I havent seen many lamas lying down watching dharma videos but maybe others have🤠
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

You can do what you like, of course - there is noone checking. But since you ask for advice - listen to Grandma! If you are too sick, then of course lie down. Otherwise, show respect, pay attention and sit up. They will do you far more good that way.

You could try to find explanations of the wrong way to listen to teachings like a cup - having a hole in it, having poison in it, or being upside down.
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Lingpupa wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:38 am You can do what you like, of course - there is noone checking. But since you ask for advice - listen to Grandma! If you are too sick, then of course lie down. Otherwise, show respect, pay attention and sit up. They will do you far more good that way.

You could try to find explanations of the wrong way to listen to teachings like a cup - having a hole in it, having poison in it, or being upside down.
This....
we are constantly sending ourselves messages.
Posture is one of the wordless messages that we send to the world and to our own subconscious minds about what is valuable to us.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

MatthewAngby wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:10 am Hello all. I was told by my grandma that we should sit when we r listening to dharma talks .. unless we are unwell of course. May I ask if it is always like that? Can I lie down and see Buddhist music and videos ?
Thanks all!
Watching a movie or documentary, or listening to songs, if it is for entertainment, may not be seen as 'practice' per se, as it is not 'formal'.

However, I think you should try to see opportunities in such things to integrate them as part of your practice, as all your daily activities should be part of your path. In this case, it should be pretty easy to be mindful of it due to the direct connection with your more obvious practice and behave accordingly, keeping that motivation in mind.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

Hi again. Mm I have some things to say but I hope I don not offend anyone in any way.

Soo... for me is... isn’t sitting down to watch Buddhist videos as a form of respect just our conceptions of our conditioned thinking and culture?
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

MatthewAngby wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:35 pm Hi again. Mm I have some things to say but I hope I don not offend anyone in any way.

Soo... for me is... isn’t sitting down to watch Buddhist videos as a form of respect just our conceptions of our conditioned thinking and culture?
Sitting correctly also affects the state of your body , voice, mind, channels, etc. So sitting up simply makes you more capable of digesting teachings. Besides, just because something is conditioned and relative does not mean you shouldn't do it. You are practicing Dharma in the relative world.

Not sure there's a hard and fast answer, but the obvious one is to adopt a respectful, attentive posture during teachings.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

If I lie down watching Buddhist videos, I'm snoring in no time... :zzz:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Motova

Post by Motova »

Phakchok Rinpoche doesn't mind supposedly, he told us a story about people coming to his teachings and either lying down or pointing their feet at him.

I have a bad back and my Lamas don't mind if I practice in bed if I need too.

Lying down your back is straight and you are relaxed, the problem is it's really easy to doze off.
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
Ricky

Post by Ricky »

I was lying down the whole time during the recent transmission. What's wrong with that?
Motova

Post by Motova »

Ricky wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:20 pm I was lying down the whole time during the recent transmission. What's wrong with that?
It's not the 'what', but the 'who' 'where' 'why' 'when' and 'how'.
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
Spelare

Post by Spelare »

One can meditate lying on one's back; that is among the traditional postures. The posture of mind is more important. You have to see for yourself whether you are able to pay careful attention while lying down. Traditionally, full-lotus was said to be best meditation posture, especially for long sitting periods, but only if you can maintain it comfortably. The ideal posture is one in which your spine is straight, and you are alert yet relaxed.

Obviously, it would be poor etiquette to lie down when a teacher is physically present, unless he or she indicates that it is alright. One traditionally stands at the teacher's entrances and exits. I don't think video recordings require such etiquette. When it comes to live broadcasts, though, it might be better to sit up--again, unless the teacher has said he/she doesn't mind.
Neither person nor skandha
but unstained wisdom is buddha.
In its knowing, ever serene—
I go for refuge therein.
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

Mm... but I was looking into something like beyond etiquettes and social norm. Because we are conditioned to think that sitting is respectful... but maybe lying down can also be considered respectful... that is without our conditioned mind. Something like non dualism or like that but again, I am no expert at Buddhism so if I am wrong on the “ non dualism “ aspect please educate me. Thank you !
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Are sure that want to be educated Matthew? :smile:

People have given you some good and varied answers.

I think you may just want Grandma, and all she represents, to be wrong.

MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

Hmm... yes I want to be. Actually all I wanted was to integrate non duality into sitting and lying down. Yes I have received many varied answers, but now I would like to know the integration of the non-duality of things in sitting and lying down and why do we differentiate between the both if they are both empty of nature. And again what I say might not be very trustable as I am not an expert in Buddhism.
The force is my ally...and a powerful ally it is - Yoda
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

MatthewAngby wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:22 pm Hmm... yes I want to be. Actually all I wanted was to integrate non duality into sitting and lying down. Yes I have received many varied answers, but now I would like to know the integration of the non-duality of things in sitting and lying down and why do we differentiate between the both if they are both empty of nature. And again what I say might not be very trustable as I am not an expert in Buddhism.
Here's a nice quote by Guru Rinpoche:

“My view is more vast than the sky, but my conduct is as fine as the smallest grain of sand.”
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

An old joke.
A tourist was trying to get to Dublin by car, and was lost. Seeing an old man working a field he stopped and wound down his window, 'can you tell me the way to Dublin?' he asked', the man scratched his head...'to be honest with you' he said, 'if I were you I wouldn't start from here'....

You are anticipating a non dual state. But you are living in duality.
Generations of Dharma students have observed various points of etiquette.
Not because they think that etiquette will bring you to Enlightenment..but because they have discovered that non-observance confirms most of us in duality rather than undermining duality.

MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

I am sorry but I do not seem to get this part of the reply
“You are anticipating a non dual state. But you are living in duality.
Not because they think that etiquette will bring you to Enlightenment..but because they have discovered that non-observance confirms most of us in duality rather than undermining duality.” could you explain it in detail ? Thanks :) !
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

Oh another question would be : how about mad saints and their crazy wisdom? Why can they do such “ mad “ stuff?
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

MatthewAngby wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:39 pm I am sorry but I do not seem to get this part of the reply
“You are anticipating a non dual state. But you are living in duality.
Not because they think that etiquette will bring you to Enlightenment..but because they have discovered that non-observance confirms most of us in duality rather than undermining duality.” could you explain it in detail ? Thanks :) !
At the moment you have an idea in your mind. You have read about non-dual states but may not have experienced that. You are assuming that in a non dual state such matters as posture and etiquette do not matter because they are only relevant in duality.
If any of my assumptions are wrong, then say..
From that you assume that if posture and etiquette are not relevant to non duality then perhaps they do not matter at all..perhaps such ideas are even an obstacle to non dual states.
If that is accurate, I would say that generations of Dharma students have found that observing certain customs and conventions are actually important in preparing us for the change in View which will follow
our realising non -duality.
Observing certain etiquettes does not lead us to non duality, but can be an important part of being prepared for the leap....

Return to “Nyingma”