Requesting bodhisattvas for help

MatthewAngby

Requesting bodhisattvas for help

Post by MatthewAngby » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:48 pm

Hello. I would like to ask why if bodhisattvas have so much power, why when I pray to them sometimes for help... like one time I was praying for the crabs who are about to get killed.. hoping bodhisattvas would manifest as people and buy them to be released to the sea. Like if they have so much power , they could perhaps stop fish slaughter or seafood slaughter Using supernatural ways right...? I’m not sure. Sometimes i wonder why they don’t appear in wrathful forms to scare away the fish killers or seafood restraunt owners so they can stop the killing. Right now I’m a bit filled with doubt now... so please help.
The force is my ally...and a powerful ally it is - Yoda

Tiago Simões

Re: Requesting bodhisattvas for help

Post by Tiago Simões » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:49 pm

MatthewAngby wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:48 pm
Sometimes i wonder why they don’t appear in wrathful forms to scare away the fish killers or seafood restraunt owners so they can stop the killing. Right now I’m a bit filled with doubt now... so please help.
Who told you they don't?
Then, the Licchavi Vimalakīrti spoke to the elder Śāriputra and the great disciples: “Reverends, eat of the food of the Tathāgata! It is ambrosia perfumed by the great compassion. But do not fix your minds in narrow-minded attitudes, lest you be unable to receive its gift.”

- Chapter 9, The Feast Brought by the Emanated Incarnation
The Noble Mahāyāna Sūtra “The Teaching of Vimalakīrti”

Harimoo

Post by Harimoo » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:12 pm

MatthewAngby wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:48 pm
Hello. I would like to ask why if bodhisattvas have so much power, why when I pray to them sometimes for help... like one time I was praying for the crabs who are about to get killed.. hoping bodhisattvas would manifest as people and buy them to be released to the sea. Like if they have so much power , they could perhaps stop fish slaughter or seafood slaughter Using supernatural ways right...? I’m not sure. Sometimes i wonder why they don’t appear in wrathful forms to scare away the fish killers or seafood restraunt owners so they can stop the killing. Right now I’m a bit filled with doubt now... so please help.
Perhaps fishermen prayed bodhisattavas to have food to eat for their family ?

MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:19 pm

I still see crabs in their locked cages waiting to be killed or saved... this is why.

MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:20 pm

Tiagolps can u give me some examples ?

Pero

Post by Pero » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:40 pm

Well for one thing, nobody else can change your karma.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar

Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:41 pm

MatthewAngby wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:19 pm
I still see crabs in their locked cages waiting to be killed or saved... this is why.
There are no omnipotent beings. Bodhisattvas can't help all beings all the time, and they can't make karma disappear.

Where Bodhisattvas can help, they do. The better question is, what can we do for those beings?
Then, the Licchavi Vimalakīrti spoke to the elder Śāriputra and the great disciples: “Reverends, eat of the food of the Tathāgata! It is ambrosia perfumed by the great compassion. But do not fix your minds in narrow-minded attitudes, lest you be unable to receive its gift.”

MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:22 pm

Okay.. let’s say today I am going to buy 5 crabs from the stall... but I wait and pray for bodhisattvas to manifest in forms to save them. But what if they didn’t manifest and the crabs survival depended if I bought them.

So my point was ... I could have a ton of money today and can buy many crabs today for their survival, but why don’t bodhisattvas manifest in this way too in order to save them?

To tiagolps:
Also, what can we do? We can’t change karma of sentient beings, so what do we do? This gives me a feeling of powerless inside me...

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:45 pm

MatthewAngby wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:22 pm
Okay.. let’s say today I am going to buy 5 crabs from the stall... but I wait and pray for bodhisattvas to manifest in forms to save them. But what if they didn’t manifest and the crabs survival depended if I bought them.
Why they should they appear when there is already a bodhisattva on the scene?
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

philji

Post by philji » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:12 pm

MatthewAngby wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:19 pm
Likewise we humans are in our cages waiting to die...doesnt mean there are no bodhisattvas working for us right now

Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:12 pm

MatthewAngby wrote:
Also, what can we do? We can’t change karma of sentient beings, so what do we do? This gives me a feeling of powerless inside me...
The best you can.

PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:16 pm

Pero wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:40 pm
Well for one thing, nobody else can change your karma.
IMHO this kind of thing becomes semantic. If this were true in a conventional sense, what is a merit field, what are blessing, etc.?
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.

Aryjna

Post by Aryjna » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:16 pm

MatthewAngby wrote:

So my point was ... I could have a ton of money today and can buy many crabs today for their survival, but why don’t bodhisattvas manifest in this way too in order to save them?

To tiagolps:
There are many methods to benefit beings, much more important than extending their lifespan as a crab by a few more weeks, months, or years (not sure how long crabs live). Though of course if it is possible to save their life too it is even better.

Aryjna

Post by Aryjna » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:17 pm

Aryjna wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:16 pm
MatthewAngby wrote:

To tiagolps:
There are many methods to benefit beings, in a much more important way than by extending their lifespan as a crab by a few more weeks, months, or years (not sure how long crabs live). Though of course if it is possible to save their life too it is even better.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:20 pm

Aryjna wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:16 pm
MatthewAngby wrote:

To tiagolps:
There are many methods to benefit beings, much more important than extending their lifespan as a crab by a few more weeks, months, or years (not sure how long crabs live). Though of course if it is possible to save their life too it is even better.
Just this last weekend I helped a crab become incorporated into a human being. With a little mayonnaise and a squeeze of lemon.
Taking advantage of a temporary situation. Back for a short time only folks.

Vasana

Post by Vasana » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:33 pm

tiagolps wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:12 pm
MatthewAngby wrote:
The best you can.
:good:

Matthew, Imagine how Bodhisattva Avalokiteshvara felt when he had been working for the benefit of countless beings and yet there were just as many beings in samsara as when he began.
It is said that Chenrezig once grew exhausted and discouraged from the overwhemling task of rescuing sentient beings. While struggling to comprehend the needs of so many, his head and body exploded into a thousand pieces. Buddha Amitabha came to Chenrezig's aid and helped prepare the Bodhisattva for his monumental task. Amitabha endowed Chenrezig with eleven heads, with which to hear the cries of the suffering, and also with a thousand arms, with which to aid the suffering multitudes.
You can't change the karma of beings for them, but you can manifest in ways that will lead and direct them on the path. At the moment we're like a paralyzed mother watching her only child get swept away in a river. Our wisdom and skillfull means has not fully ripened so there's only very limited things we can do to help beings for now. Let the discouragement you feel be fuel for aspirational Bodhichiita at least. In the future, we'll be more able to help beings and that help will unfold effortlessly the closer to realization we are.
'When alone, watch your mind. When with others, watch your speech'- Old Kadampa saying.

MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:04 am

But how about using magic? Like why don’t bodhisattvas use mind control on the killer or the boss of the seafood shop? Like they could make the boss quit the seafood shop and let him start a better non-killing job.

Aryjna

Post by Aryjna » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:10 am

MatthewAngby wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:04 am
But how about using magic? Like why don’t bodhisattvas use mind control on the killer or the boss of the seafood shop? Like they could make the boss quit the seafood shop and let him start a better non-killing job.
If that were possible there would be no samsara.

MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:14 am

But isn’t mind control possible as a means of supernatural power?

Aryjna

Post by Aryjna » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:22 am

MatthewAngby wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:14 am
But isn’t mind control possible as a means of supernatural power?
I don't know if some kind of similar siddhi exists. But I think it's safe to say it is definitely not possible in the case you are describing.

Return to “Nyingma”