Six yogas in nyingma?

MatthewAngby

Six yogas in nyingma?

Post by MatthewAngby »

Hello everyone . Is there any six yogas or something similar to it in the nyingma ( Chokling tersar ) tradition ? And if there is a three year retreat in nyingma, what do they usually teach?
The force is my ally...and a powerful ally it is - Yoda
heart

Re: Six yogas in nyingma?

Post by heart »

MatthewAngby wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:07 am Hello everyone . Is there any six yogas or something similar to it in the nyingma ( Chokling tersar ) tradition ? And if there is a three year retreat in nyingma, what do they usually teach?
Yes there is six yogas, for example they are a part of the secret sadhana of Zabtik Tara cycle http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?titl ... k_Drolchok

There is an online program for this cycle.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

I see. I have spoken to one of the members of Rangjung yeshe Oddiyana ( a centre in Singapore ) you could check that out. It says it preserves the teachings and tradition of the chokling tersar lineage.
They say they don’t practice six yogas if I am right( not sure ) ... but is there any other related practices similar to it in this tradition?
The force is my ally...and a powerful ally it is - Yoda
heart

Post by heart »

MatthewAngby wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:38 am I see. I have spoken to one of the members of Rangjung yeshe Oddiyana ( a centre in Singapore ) you could check that out. It says it preserves the teachings and tradition of the chokling tersar lineage.
They say they don’t practice six yogas if I am right( not sure ) ... but is there any other related practices similar to it in this tradition?
Well, they probably don't practice it, that doesn't mean it isn't there. :smile: Put this question to Phachok Rinpoche, I see he visits often, and you will get an interesting answer I am sure.

And yes, apart from actual six yogas in the Zabtik cycle, there are many interesting teachings in the Chokling Tersar on tummo, dream yoga and so on.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

the "Six Yogas" traditions are collections of completion stage instructions, and every Vajrayana lineage maintains their own unique collection of such instructions.

Chokling Tersar is a terma lineage practiced by Nyingmas, Kagyupas, and Sakyapas as well. Aside from the completion stage practices associated with the Zabtik Drolma cycle, there are many completion stage practices to be found in the Chokling Tersar. For instance, there's a practice of Miyowa if I recall which features a tummo completion stage.

Various Nyingma lineages, and various cycles of teaching, have various methods of presenting completion stage practices like Tummo, Dream Yoga, Bardo, etc.

With respect to the Six Yogas of Naropa, the most well-known collection of completion stages practices called "Six Yogas," these are held mainly by Kagyu lineages and are the "Path of Means," or "Completion Stage with Symbols." They are methods to create an experiental realization of Reality as it is. They could be understand as powerful methods to realize Mahamudra. In the Kagyu lineages, there are also transmissions of Mahamudra that do not rely on the Six Yogas, and these transmissions are known as the "Path of Liberation," or are sometimes grouped in the "Completion Stage without Symbols" category of methods.

In most Nyingma-associated systems of retreat, you'll find a variety of completion stage practices including those comparable to the Six Yogas. But in general, Nyingma retreats focus on the completion stage systems of Trekcho and Togal, which are the ulitmate Dzogchen instructions on completion stage.

Most Nyingma three year retreats available to Westerners, at least in my experience, are based on the Dudjom Tersar tradition, which includes a wide variety of practices, including ngondros, the recitations and sadhanas of the three roots--Lama, Yidam, and Dakini, and a variety of completion stage practices focused on Dzogchen. I'm not aware of any specific Chogling Tersar-centered Three Year retreat curriculums or centers, but they may exist. I do know an individual who did an extended retreat based on ThukDrup Barchay Kunsel which is a huge and complete cycle of instructions, covering all aspects of Vajrayana practice.

Maybe others can add more info specific to Chogling Tersar and Three year retreat.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
heart

Post by heart »

conebeckham wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:35 pm I'm not aware of any specific Chogling Tersar-centered Three Year retreat curriculums or centers, but they may exist. I do know an individual who did an extended retreat based on ThukDrup Barchay Kunsel which is a huge and complete cycle of instructions, covering all aspects of Vajrayana practice.

Maybe others can add more info specific to Chogling Tersar and Three year retreat.
There is a Chokling Tersar three-year retreat in Parping, Nepal and probably several others in Tibet.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

heart wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:42 pm
conebeckham wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:35 pm I'm not aware of any specific Chogling Tersar-centered Three Year retreat curriculums or centers, but they may exist. I do know an individual who did an extended retreat based on ThukDrup Barchay Kunsel which is a huge and complete cycle of instructions, covering all aspects of Vajrayana practice.

There is a Chokling Tersar three-year retreat in Parping, Nepal and probably several others in Tibet.

/magnus
Any idea if there are Western students there? Any idea of the curriculum?

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
heart

Post by heart »

conebeckham wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:50 pm

/magnus
No westerners, not sure about curriculum but I remember there was extensive ngondro practice.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Thanks, Magnus!

PeterC

Post by PeterC »

/magnus
Non-Tibetan students have done long retreats at centers associated with the lineage in Nepal - I know of a few, and not all were ordained Sangha. Whether it's the ritually-sealed three-year retreat I do not know. But I'm pretty sure that, visas permitting, it would be conceptually possible for the right student at the right time.
heart

Post by heart »

PeterC wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:59 am

/magnus
Non-Tibetan students have done long retreats at centers associated with the lineage in Nepal - I know of a few, and not all were ordained Sangha. Whether it's the ritually-sealed three-year retreat I do not know. But I'm pretty sure that, visas permitting, it would be conceptually possible for the right student at the right time.
Yes, like Lama Gerry, but I am not sure they did it in the retreat in Parping since it seems to be monks from Ka-Nying only.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Nyingma”