Worldly wish fulfilling mantras?

MatthewAngby

Worldly wish fulfilling mantras?

Post by MatthewAngby »

Hello people. Soo I was just wondering what mantras or deities can I pray and do for worldly wishes? Well I kinda want to get a gf who can accompany me to dharma centres and practice together. So is there any particular deity or mantra to fulfill my wish?
The force is my ally...and a powerful ally it is - Yoda
marting

Re: Worldly wish fulfilling mantras?

Post by marting »

Good question. As a Buddhist you have access to the morning kriya practices of bathing, putting on clean clothes, and brushing your teeth. Mantras for women are harder to come by. I'd try to let them come out naturally if you find yourself at a bar on a Friday night.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

marting wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:44 pm Good question. As a Buddhist you have access to the morning kriya practices of bathing, putting on clean clothes, and brushing your teeth. Mantras for women are harder to come by. I'd try to let them come out naturally if you find yourself at a bar on a Friday night.
:rolling:

But seriously though: worldly gains are not the aim of Dharma practices. Of course if an upturn in your worldly circumstances can benefit your Dharma practice... But wanting to get laid (with a Buddhist), well... :smile:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

Hmm actually it would be like a 50-50. ( to grigoris ) . I have always wanted a female companion with me on my travels to dharma centres. It kinda you know...encourages me and even montivates me in someway. So and yes...the men problems too ( eeks )

So I would say it is a 50-50 between practice and human needs.
The force is my ally...and a powerful ally it is - Yoda
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

ime, the myth of romantic love is an especially pernicious delusion among westerners. dharma is about renunciation, and romantic love is about attachment. it is 100?% guaranteed that your loved one will eventually break your heart.

however, if that's what you want, most tibetans would tell you to do kurukulle/rigyed wangmo sadhana.

but be careful what you wish for.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Tara can also help with worldy matters. Her 21 praises may help all round. Your best option is to just attend dharma centers and events until you meet more people if thats your side aim. Best to avoid receiving any samaya commitments until you are sure you want to commit to a path if you are still a begginer.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Motova

Post by Motova »

pemachophel wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:06 pm ime, the myth of romantic love is an especially pernicious delusion among westerners. dharma is about renunciation, and romantic love is about attachment. it is 100?% guaranteed that your loved one will eventually break your heart.

however, if that's what you want, most tibetans would tell you to do kurukulle/rigyed wangmo sadhana.

How should one approach this with Bodhicitta the right way then?
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
Pero

Post by Pero »

pemachophel wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:06 pm ime, the myth of romantic love is an especially pernicious delusion among westerners. dharma is about renunciation, and romantic love is about attachment. it is 100?% guaranteed that your loved one will eventually break your heart.

Not that I necessarily disagree but aren't you married?
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

pemachophel wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:06 pmit is 100?% guaranteed that your loved one will eventually break your heart.

I'm not sure why you say this. 100% guaranteed? I don't think so unless you are assigning some unusual meaning to the words you are using.

pemachophel wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:06 pmhowever, if that's what you want, most tibetans would tell you to do kurukulle/rigyed wangmo sadhana.

Worked for me. Actually, I find that having a gf who can accompany me to dharma centers etc is a great help . :smile:
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

yes, i'm married, twice legally and one long-term live-together relationship. so i have some experience.

why i said break your heart: it's guaranteed that, even if you don't split up, one or the other is going to die. so the one dying suffers for not wanting to leave, and the one who remains suffers in mourning his or her loss.

i'm not saying don't marry. just know what the downsides are, both samsarically and dharmically.

of course, when karma ripens, "the best made plans of mice and men often gang arye."
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Before I met my current bf (we have been dating for over a year now and I don't plan stopping it) I did listen to kurukulle mantra on youtube, I liked the melody and sometimes sang with it. :D Didn't really do it for any purpouse, maybe it worked. Otherwise Tara is great for everything; she helped my friend with the exactly same thing. :-) But beware!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S94ohyErSw You can't always get what you want.

Now I might have a bf, but thinking about impermanence pains me more now than ever as I am strongly attached to him. Also no long retreats for me as I want to be with him and he is atheist so no retreating together. So it always has some drawbacks. Don't rush it, be nice, be yourself, search a little and someone might appear, or not, that is also good.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
fckw

Post by fckw »

Both green Tara and Kurukulle are probably good starts. And in contrast to what was said before: No, there is no separation in Tantra with regards to the worldly and the spiritual. This is neither Therevada nor Mahayana, it's the Vajrayana vehicle. As we all know: The distinction is in the view as well as the methods applied. Hence, it's exactly the other way round: The more you practice the more you realize such distinctions as worldly vs spiritual are pretty futile. Also, if you read some of the old tantras, you'll find they are full of wish-fulfilling magic (optimized for everyday use a 1000 years ago in the Himalayas). Bad news is that once you're ready to apply it effectively you probably don't even want (nor need) to anymore.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

Though it seems it is considered something that can be achieved through practice, it really doesn't seem to fit in with other worldly siddhis. Contrary to wealth, removing obstacles, etc., finding a girlfriend is something inherently counterproductive to practice.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Of course it isn't.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Josef

Post by Josef »

MatthewAngby wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:35 pm Hello people. Soo I was just wondering what mantras or deities can I pray and do for worldly wishes? Well I kinda want to get a gf who can accompany me to dharma centres and practice together. So is there any particular deity or mantra to fulfill my wish?
Why do you want a partner?
Maybe examine your motivation and see if you can offer a woman the love, respect, and support she deserves and stop worrying about magic tricks a mantras to dupe someone into being with you?
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

Aryjna wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:27 pm Though it seems it is considered something that can be achieved through practice, it really doesn't seem to fit in with other worldly siddhis. Contrary to wealth, removing obstacles, etc., finding a girlfriend is something inherently counterproductive to practice.
Didn't seem to be counterproductive for Guru Rinpoche.
Josef

Post by Josef »

Aryjna wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:27 pm Though it seems it is considered something that can be achieved through practice, it really doesn't seem to fit in with other worldly siddhis. Contrary to wealth, removing obstacles, etc., finding a girlfriend is something inherently counterproductive to practice.
This is definitely not the case. Some people are more inclined to using their relationships as a spiritual support (this goes far beyond goofy notions of sexual spirituality).
Many practitioners have flourished through their intimate relationships and many of our lineage masters have done the same.
Last edited by Josef on Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

Thomas Amundsen wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:51 pm
Unfortunately there is still a difference between Guru Rinpoche and most/practically all practitioners. And between his 'girlfriends' and the ones that one is likely to find.
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

Aryjna wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:56 pm
Thomas Amundsen wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:51 pm
Unfortunately there is still a difference between Guru Rinpoche and most/practically all practitioners. And between his 'girlfriends' and the ones that one is likely to find.
Of course one would have to be really fortunate to happen upon such a beneficial scenario. But my own teacher and other people I know are in supporting Dharma relationships.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

Josef wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:55 pm
This is definitely not the case. Some people are more inclined to using their relationships as a spiritual support (this goes far beyond goofy notions of sexual spirituality).
Many practitioners have flourished through their intimate relationships and many of our lineage masters have done the same.
Do you know for a fact that in the majority of the cases of lineage masters being married the choice is not largely cultural? And that they actually flourished because of the relationship, while their realization would be less without it?

Of course it is not necessarily always negative. But there really is no way to compare an advanced practitioner having a partner to someone of little realization having a partner who is also of little realization. As I see it, it is at the very best a neutral thing as far as practice goes, and this is probably only true for a very small minority of the cases, with most of them falling more or less into the 'counterproductive' range.

I am not saying one shouldn't have a relationship. But that it is not something that really helps, such as having obstacles to practice removed, longer life so that you have more time for practice, and other kinds of mundane siddhis that support practice.

Return to “Nyingma”