Garchen Nyingtig Yabshi Germany 2018 Questions

Josef

Re: Garchen Nyingtig Yabshi Germany 2018 Questions

Post by Josef »

bryandavis wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:24 pm Perhaps Zhi Lam Drä Bu is a bad German attempt at saying teaching on the Ground, Path, and Fruit according to Dzogchen View?

Zhi, base. Lam, path. Drä maybe like "Lam 'bras" path and fruit.

To bad no Nyingthik Yabshi!

Anybody have 2cents to say about Yumkha Dechen Gyalmo Wang? Any unique features etc?

Cheers!
The Yumka empowerment is a very important part of the transmission of the Longchen Nyingthig.
It has a lot of significant features and is quite unique. Details of that are probably not appropriate to share here.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
narraboth

Post by narraboth »

bryandavis wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:24 pm Anybody have 2cents to say about Yumkha Dechen Gyalmo Wang? Any unique features etc?
Strictly speaking, it's not a 'Wang', but it should be given only to people who have received Wang. Similar to the case of Vajrayogini in Sakya and Gelug.
Actually, it was stated in the commentary that it should be given to people who have received Nyingthig Palchen Dupa or Zhitro Wangchen. But nowadays quite often this rule is not followed. Still, most of lama would schedule it after a proper Wang, in this case I assume, would be Yamantaka.
If you want to follow the traditional rule properly but you haven't received 2 days empowerment in LN cycle, as you might see in another thread, Khenchen Padma Sherab will give Palchen Dupa Wangchen in London in May.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

narraboth wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:31 pm
bryandavis wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:24 pm Anybody have 2cents to say about Yumkha Dechen Gyalmo Wang? Any unique features etc?
Strictly speaking, it's not a 'Wang', but it should be given only to people who have received Wang. Similar to the case of Vajrayogini in Sakya and Gelug.
This is called a Jinlab (byin rlabs).
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

fckw wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:03 pm
Yeti wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:05 pm When someone asked Tulku Pema Wangyal about the benefits of this transmission... he said... the benefits will appear during one's journey in the bardo.
I don't mean to sound dismissing, but when I hear someone tell me that the benefits of a given practice will be reaped during bardo - I am not interested at all. What help is this to me in this current form? Why should I care more about a bodyless form in the bardo realm who, according to Buddhist theory, is not even "me" anymore, but just some karmic imprints traveling through the bardo like a lonely asteroid is travelling through space and time? Why should I care more about that form during bardo than about the current form in this body?

(Of course you're going to tell me that I got it all wrong, and that it's not at all what said tulku really meant and so on. But is it really?)
Our physical form is limiting to us in this life, yet it is also the key to our development. Body, speech, and mind are all related, and we are already wired one way now due to our physical form.

Virgo...
thogme19

Post by thogme19 »

MiphamFan

Post by MiphamFan »

So it looks like the organizers simply got it wrong and confused the Longchen Nyingthig with the Nyingthig Yabzhi.
weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

I just signed in and received a autamatized copy by e-mail.
Does anyone know: is that already the confirmation or will that come separately?
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE
Pero

Post by Pero »

MiphamFan wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:11 pm So it looks like the organizers simply got it wrong and confused the Longchen Nyingthig with the Nyingthig Yabzhi.
With the Aspiration prayer too right? It's actually Jigme Lingpa's?
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

It would seem that way according to Lotsawa House, Pero... http://www.lotsawahouse.org/tibetan-mas ... d-fruition

The error is consistent, so if the organizers were going for a theme (the Dzogchen teachings of Longchenpa), it makes a certain amount of sense that the prayer is wrongly attributed to Longchen Rabjampa and the empowerment erroneously ascribed to his Dzogchen cycle, the Nyingthik Yabzhi. The prayer is Jigme Lingpa's, and the empowerment belongs to his cycle, the Longchen Nyingthik.

That is, unless someone has evidence to the contrary... We all know that the catchy and meaningful titles of certain texts can be used contemporaneously or recycled over and over again, to the point that they basically become genres (Calling the Lama from Afar, anyone?)

There are several reasons Garchen Rinpoche would be teaching on such a theme, not just that the Longchen Nyingthik is a popular Dzogchen cycle. It may interest you to know that the connections between Jigme Lingpa and the Drikung lineage are very strong. Drikung_Dzogchen mentions that one of JL's main practices was a terma revealed by Gyalwang Rinchen Phuntsok (the 17th Drikung throneholder), and Malcolm confirms that he indeed received the Yangzab as well (see: viewtopic.php?t=15474#p213421)

JL was also a close friend of the 3rd Drikung Chungtsang Rinpoche, to the point that JL's only son, Nyinche Özer, was recognized as his subsequent incarnation. This was brought to my attention by orgyen jigmed (see:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=3291&p=35949&hilit ... ung#p35944) and can be confirmed by the following page on Treasury of Lives:
https://treasuryoflives.org/biographies ... ingpa/5457

Incidentally, has anyone alerted the organizers by emailing [email protected] ?

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
fckw

Post by fckw »

Now I am confused. So, is this going to be the Longchen Nyingtik or the Nyingtik Yabzhi empowerment?
heart

Post by heart »

fckw wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 6:55 am Now I am confused. So, is this going to be the Longchen Nyingtik or the Nyingtik Yabzhi empowerment?
Yumkha Dechen Gyalmo is from the Longchen Nyingtik, not the Nyingtik Yabshi. So obviously it will not be the Nyingtik Yabshi.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

As Magnus says....

The Longchen Nyingthik is a terma of Jigme Lingpa, revealed from visions of Longchenpa, and Yumkha Dechen Gyalmo is the Dakini Root practice. There are associated sadhanas and practices for this practice, and it's often done in a three year retreat after the Guru Practice, Rigdzin Dupa.

Nyingthik Yabshi is a collection of Dzogchen instructions compiled by Longchenpa. There are mulitple volumes, and receiving the empowerments in full would take several days. Sometimes only a portion is given...for instance sometimes the Khandro Yangtik or Khandro Nyingthik is given on it's own, or sometimes the Lama Yangthik.....
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

Return to “Nyingma”