Garchen Nyingtig Yabshi Germany 2018 Questions

Ogaf

Garchen Nyingtig Yabshi Germany 2018 Questions

Post by Ogaf »

Hi folks,

I recently saw the following events news regarding Garchen Rinpoche's European teachings in 2018:

https://www.garchen.de/index.php/en/program/events

As you can see, over the course of six days he will give empowerment and teachings for the Nyingtig Yabshi. I google fu'd it as best I can but can't find much more beyond what is written in the various wikis across the web. For example:

http://rywiki.tsadra.org/index.php/Nyingtik_Yabshi

I'm not sure how to phrase my questions, however, I shall try.

What kind of empowerment would this be?
What practices would one then be able to do having received it/What would be the next step having received it?
Would I be right to guess that there isn't a typical ngondro practice for it, except perhaps the texts in question may contain instruction on the Dzogchen preliminaries?
Can you provide any other information regarding it that might be helpful?

Thanks in advance :anjali:
Pero

Re: Garchen Nyingtig Yabshi Germany 2018 Questions

Post by Pero »

Ogaf wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:20 am Hi folks,

I recently saw the following events news regarding Garchen Rinpoche's European teachings in 2018:

As you can see, over the course of six days he will give empowerment and teachings for the Nyingtig Yabshi. I google fu'd it as best I can but can't find much more beyond what is written in the various wikis across the web. For example:

What practices would one then be able to do having received it/What would be the next step having received it?
Would I be right to guess that there isn't a typical ngondro practice for it, except perhaps the texts in question may contain instruction on the Dzogchen preliminaries?

Wow thanks for sharing this. I'm afraid I'm not knowledgable enough to really answer your questions but these are some of the most (perhaps the most) important empowerments you can get if you're interested in practicing Dzogchen teachings. They are quite elaborate and long empowerments. You would be able to practice what is in the Nyingthig Yabshi, which is a huge corpus of Dzogchen teachings (although to be perfect you'd need lung, especially if there's some mantra practice). You should know however that when I say you would be able to practice, that is actually more in theory, because in practice most of this cycle of teachings has not been translated yet. Off the top of my head I can think of only one translation of one small group of texts and that was privately published. Oh and there's a translation of the Single Son of All the Buddhas (?), a short tagdrol tantra if I remember right, somewhere. And I think there's one text about history of the lineage and teachings from this cycle that has been translated. Also, without additional instructions it may not be clear how to practice.

If memory serves some parts of the Yabshi also contain instructions on "tantric" ngondro. The whole cycle is concerned primarily with Dzogchen Menngade so of course it contains instructions on Dzogchen specific preliminaries.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Ogaf wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:20 am Hi folks,

The second book down in the list given by Yangthang Rinpoche 86 pages.This would be very helpful in understanding the
empowerments and more.Call them and tell them you are going and they will most likely help you out.

http://www.tibetantreasures.com/Books-R ... Books.html
fckw

Post by fckw »

This indeed sounds quite thrilling. I've some questions:

1. Are there any prerequisites for attending the retreat and receiving the transmission?
2. Will there be also Dzogchen practice including instructions, or will the entire time be used up by the transmission only?
heart

Post by heart »

It is also happening in Kathmandu in a few months.

https://www.benchen.org.pl/en/history/b ... pring-2018

Nyingtik Yabshi is 13 volumes so Garchen Rinpoche's event will only be the empowerments and possibly not all of them since it is only 2 days. Sangye Nyenpa Rinpoche's transmission of Nyingtik Yabshi take 10 days as a comparison.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
heart

Post by heart »

fckw wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:48 am This indeed sounds quite thrilling. I've some questions:

1. Are there any prerequisites for attending the retreat and receiving the transmission?
2. Will there be also Dzogchen practice including instructions, or will the entire time be used up by the transmission only?
1. I think not.
2. I think not for reasons mentioned in the above post.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
fckw

Post by fckw »

@heart: Then I'm a little confused. I understood that first there's the Yamantaka transmission that takes 2 days or so (22 - 23.9.). After this there the retreat is apparently going on till 30.9., so in other words for the Nyingtik Yabshi 7 days are planned in. I am just wondering, if I would like to receive concrete instructions how to practice after the transmission whom I could rely on.
marting

Post by marting »

Lama's usually give higher empowerments in public as a blessing. To do the practices you will have to finish the preliminaries and enter retreat.
heart

Post by heart »

fckw wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:19 pm @heart: Then I'm a little confused. I understood that first there's the Yamantaka transmission that takes 2 days or so (22 - 23.9.). After this there the retreat is apparently going on till 30.9., so in other words for the Nyingtik Yabshi 7 days are planned in. I am just wondering, if I would like to receive concrete instructions how to practice after the transmission whom I could rely on.
You are right, I misread. It is 6 days. So maybe there will be teachings or maybe someone will give the "lung"?

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

fckw wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:19 pm @heart: Then I'm a little confused. I understood that first there's the Yamantaka transmission that takes 2 days or so (22 - 23.9.). After this there the retreat is apparently going on till 30.9., so in other words for the Nyingtik Yabshi 7 days are planned in. I am just wondering, if I would like to receive concrete instructions how to practice after the transmission whom I could rely on.
I doubt there will be much teaching. Each empowerment at least one long day (8 hours plus) to give. Some are better given over two days.
Pero

Post by Pero »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:08 pm
I doubt there will be much teaching. Each empowerment at least one long day (8 hours plus) to give. Some are better given over two days.
Yup. I think one or two days at most of teaching out of 7 is possible. Unless it will be a marathon. :D
Or, if he doesn't give the entire Nyingthig Yabshi and only part of it.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
fckw

Post by fckw »

Alright, thanks for your replies. Not sure I will attend if there are expected only very little teachings. Otherwise I end up with a great transmission and no clue how it could meaningfully improve my meditation practice.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

fckw wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:03 am Alright, thanks for your replies. Not sure I will attend if there are expected only very little teachings. Otherwise I end up with a great transmission and no clue how it could meaningfully improve my meditation practice.
Depending on how it is given, the empowerments themselves are chock full of teachings.
MiphamFan

Post by MiphamFan »

I emailed the centre, they said there will be teachings and the registration will open in spring.
heart

Post by heart »

MiphamFan wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:46 pm I emailed the centre, they said there will be teachings and the registration will open in spring.
thank you!

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Marc

Post by Marc »

heart wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:43 pm It is also happening in Kathmandu in a few months.

Nyingtik Yabshi is 13 volumes so Garchen Rinpoche's event will only be the empowerments and possibly not all of them since it is only 2 days. Sangye Nyenpa Rinpoche's transmission of Nyingtik Yabshi take 10 days as a comparison.

/magnus
Thx for this info Magnus !

By any chance, do you know if there is some kind of registration process ?
Or should one simply drop in on the first day ?
The webpage does not mention anything...

Thx
heart

Post by heart »

Marc wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:35 pm
heart wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:43 pm It is also happening in Kathmandu in a few months.

/magnus
Thx for this info Magnus !

By any chance, do you know if there is some kind of registration process ?
Or should one simply drop in on the first day ?

Thx
I have no idea, but if I was going I would send them an email about this and perhaps also check with people that are in Kathmandu or have good connections with the lamas at the monastery.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Rroman

Post by Rroman »

wangs at benchen are open their is no need to register. just show up. They will only be wangs, no lungs.
who is planning on going?
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Rroman wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:58 am wangs at benchen are open their is no need to register. just show up. They will only be wangs, no lungs.
There could be Pewang.
heart

Post by heart »

Rroman wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:58 am wangs at benchen are open their is no need to register. just show up. They will only be wangs, no lungs.
thank you for the information Rroman!

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Nyingma”