Garchen Nyingtig Yabshi Germany 2018 Questions

fckw

Re: Garchen Nyingtig Yabshi Germany 2018 Questions

Post by fckw »

I know lung, but what’s the difference to wang and specially Pewang?
heart

Post by heart »

fckw wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:51 am I know lung, but what’s the difference to wang and specially Pewang?
A pewang is a text blessing after which you can read the texts yourself but you can't pass it onto someone else. With lung you theoretically can do that.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

heart wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:32 pm
fckw wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:51 am I know lung, but what’s the difference to wang and specially Pewang?
A pewang is a text blessing after which you can read the texts yourself but you can't pass it onto someone else. With lung you theoretically can do that.

/magnus
There are differences of opinion on this point.
heart

Post by heart »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:12 pm

/magnus
This is what CNR told me while giving me a pewang, I never heard anything else about it.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

heart wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:14 pm
Malcolm wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:12 pm

/magnus
This is what CNR told me while giving me a pewang, I never heard anything else about it.

/magnus
As I said, there are different opinions about this, just like everything else in Tibetan Buddhism.
fckw

Post by fckw »

/magnus
Now I am puzzled. I have never heard that a lung authorizes you - even if just theoretically - to pass a text further. So, what are the different positions on this point, what would be the prerequisites?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

fckw wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:59 pm

/magnus
Now I am puzzled. I have never heard that a lung authorizes you - even if just theoretically - to pass a text further. So, what are the different positions on this point, what would be the prerequisites?
Yes, there is a saying in Tibet, "Even a dog's tail can give a lung."

Basically, if you have the lung, you can give the lung. Whether anyone would want to lung from you is another issue, since receiving a lung from someone entails commitments to that person.
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:31 pmYes, there is a saying in Tibet, "Even a dog's tail can give a lung."

Basically, if you have the lung, you can give the lung. Whether anyone would want to lung from you is another issue, since receiving a lung from someone entails commitments to that person.
What commitments does it entail?
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Lobsang Chojor wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:45 pm
Malcolm wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:31 pmYes, there is a saying in Tibet, "Even a dog's tail can give a lung."

The same as receiving an empowerment, but not as strong.
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:21 pm

:thanks: Is there a book that you recommend on the commitments and vows?
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Lobsang Chojor wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:03 pm
BTW, this only counts for Vajrayāna materials...
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:14 am

I did think so, is there an equivalent for sutra materials?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Lobsang Chojor wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:16 am
Malcolm wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:14 am
I did think so, is there an equivalent for sutra materials?
Nothing apart from the general exhortation to regard anyone from whom one receives Dharma teachings to be like a Buddha.
Ogaf

Post by Ogaf »

My thanks to you all for your help.
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

It's good to receive this empowerment if you are practicing anything in the Nyingma dzogchen. In fact, when this was given by Kyabje Trulshik Rinpoche in 2004 Tulku Pema Wangyal told everyone to tell all their Dharma friends to drop everything and come and receive this, because, until current times, it was rarely given in public... only in small groups of dedicated practitioners.

Most of us will not actually do the practices involved, but it's a ripening blessing for all our main practices.

When someone asked Tulku Pema Wangyal about the benefits of this transmission... he said... the benefits will appear during one's journey in the bardo.
"People are fond of saying all sorts of things about others behind their backs, mentioning their names again and again. Instead of slandering others in this way, “slander” the yidam: utter his name repeatedly by reciting his mantra all the time." - Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche - Zurchungpa’s Testament - Shambhala Publications
MiphamFan

Post by MiphamFan »

Mutsuk mentioned before that Khenpo Jigme Phuntsog wrote a practice manual for the Nyingthig Yabzhi. Not sure if one could approach one of his Khenpos for the transmission.
Karinos

Post by Karinos »

Those who will go to Benchen monastery please read below:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... ater&ifg=1

practice samaya for receiving empowerment will be to recite min 100k Vajrasattva mantra
Pero

Post by Pero »

MiphamFan wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:46 pm Mutsuk mentioned before that Khenpo Jigme Phuntsog wrote a practice manual for the Nyingthig Yabzhi. Not sure if one could approach one of his Khenpos for the transmission.
Wow! When you say "one of his", you mean Garchen Rinpoche or Jigme Phuntosk's?
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
MiphamFan

Post by MiphamFan »

Pero wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:55 pm
MiphamFan wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:46 pm Mutsuk mentioned before that Khenpo Jigme Phuntsog wrote a practice manual for the Nyingthig Yabzhi. Not sure if one could approach one of his Khenpos for the transmission.
Khenpo Jigphun I mean.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

MiphamFan wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:07 am
Pero wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:55 pm
Khenpo Jigphun I mean.
A few of the Tibetans staying at the Garchen Institute have teachings from KJPR but i don't know if any have that
particular one.

Return to “Nyingma”