Two approaches to the nine yanas......

liuzg150181

Two approaches to the nine yanas......

Post by liuzg150181 »

So far I have a two differing views with regards to the 9 vehicles from different Nyingma lamas:

1.) the nine vehicles are self-contained itself,for different people of diff aptitude and inclination

2,) One should with Mahayoga,then Anuyoga,then Atiyoga. Not sure if the rinpoches or lamas mentioned abt needing to traverse from Sutra three vehicle and the other three from outer tantras before that.

Which is the more mainstream Nyingma view? And how does one choose which view to follow?
Malcolm

Re: Two approaches to the nine yanas......

Post by Malcolm »

liuzg150181 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:56 pm So far I have a two differing views with regards to the 9 vehicles from different Nyingma lamas:

1.) the nine vehicles are self-contained itself,for different people of diff aptitude and inclination

2,) One should with Mahayoga,then Anuyoga,then Atiyoga. Not sure if the rinpoches or lamas mentioned abt needing to traverse from Sutra three vehicle and the other three from outer tantras before that.

Which is the more mainstream Nyingma view? And how does one choose which view to follow?
You follow the approach of your main teacher.
liuzg150181

Post by liuzg150181 »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:59 pm
liuzg150181 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:56 pm So far I have a two differing views with regards to the 9 vehicles from different Nyingma lamas:

As in the teacher one feels most devoted to?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

liuzg150181 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:06 pm

Who is your main teacher?
liuzg150181

Post by liuzg150181 »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:20 pm

If I can't decide or asnwered from my heart,then I don't have a main teacher for now?
Admittedly I am a new Buddhist(only slightly >1yr), but have been going ard different teachings in order to decide which to follow in the end.
Though if not for the fact that the local DC gar got disbanded last year, very likely I would follow ChNNR's teaching mostly by now. Right now I am with the Chokling tersar local grp(focusing on ngondro for now),also receiving teaching from other rinpoche,such as Jigme Lodro Rinpoche and non-Nyingma Rinpoches such as Jhado Rinpoche.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

liuzg150181 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:01 pm
If I can't decide or asnwered from my heart,then I don't have a main teacher for now?
Admittedly I am a new Buddhist(only slightly >1yr), but have been going ard different teachings in order to decide which to follow in the end.
Though if not for the fact that the local DC gar got disbanded last year, very likely I would follow ChNNR's teaching mostly by now. Right now I am with the Chokling tersar local grp(focusing on ngondro for now),also receiving teaching from other rinpoche,such as Jigme Lodro Rinpoche and non-Nyingma Rinpoches such as Jhado Rinpoche.
I you have more heart for ChNN, then you should just follow him. But there is no problem with Choling Tersar, etc., their system is just a bit more gradual. But it will get you to the same place.
heart

Post by heart »

3.) You get introduced directly to the natural state and the apply the mind trainings, ngondro, yidam, rushan, trechö and tögal. A very nyingtik approach.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
liuzg150181

Post by liuzg150181 »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:16 pm
liuzg150181 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:01 pm

I you have more heart for ChNN, then you should just follow him. But there is no problem with Choling Tersar, etc., their system is just a bit more gradual. But it will get you to the same place.
A bit disheartened when the local DC gar got disbanded,and that ChNNR wasnt able to come to Asia to teach last yr. Nevertheless I shall try to meet him as much as possible for his Asia tour end of this year.

Also,how is lamrim(say those of Gelugpa) related to Dzogchen?
liuzg150181

Post by liuzg150181 »

heart wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:31 pm

3.) You get introduced directly to the natural state and the apply the mind trainings, ngondro, yidam, rushan, trechö and tögal. A very nyingtik approach.

/magnus
The third one is ChNNR DC style? Since he does not exactly consider himself a Nyingma,so......
heart

Post by heart »

liuzg150181 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:31 pm
heart wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:31 pm

/magnus
The third one is ChNNR DC style? Since he does not exactly consider himself a Nyingma,so......
No, more Tulku Urgyen and his sons style.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Return to “Nyingma”