The Aro Authenticity Debate.

Boris

Re: The Aro Authenticity Debate.

Post by Boris »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:24 pm There are plenty of Buddhists who think Krishnamurti is a fine fellow and that his teachings are wonderful, some of them are quite famous as well. Are they wrong?
If this report is correct, maybe it has some value.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Boris wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:44 pm
Malcolm wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:24 pm There are plenty of Buddhists who think Krishnamurti is a fine fellow and that his teachings are wonderful, some of them are quite famous as well. Are they wrong?

You're citing CTR? Wasn't that guy an alcoholic and womanizer?
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Grigoris wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:43 pm
Malcolm wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:11 pmThe Buddha is not here asserting the Dharme is permanent or eternal. He is asserting that in the course of practice during the night he awakened fully that in reviewing his past lifetimes he recalled the teaching he had received from past buddhas.
Say what??? Here is the original for context: http://lirs.ru/lib/sutra/Connected_Disc ... .Vol.I.pdf Starting on page 299 of the PDF, page 601 of the book.

He makes a mention of his sorjurn in Sattvhi as a Bodhisattva but it is not clear whether he is talking about his current life just prior to his enlightenment (this is a Theravada text, remember, so the Buddha was not enlightened until he plonked his ass down under the bodhi tree, up until that fateful occasion he was a Bodhisattva). Also there is no mention in the text about teachings from previous Buddhas.

So... No!
The Buddha when referred to prior to his awakening is called the Bodhisattva in Hinayāna texts.

In the Bhayabherava Sutta Buddha mentions that he recalled his myriad pasts lives, who he was, what his name was an so on during the first watch of the night of his awakening, prior to gaining awakening. You really think during that time he did not recall teachings he received from Buddhas in the past?

M
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

:thanks:
dzogchungpa wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:57 pm
Boris wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:44 pm

Maybe off topic.... however I'm quite eager to know who the female Buddhist reincarnation of Gurdjieff is! :popcorn:
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Adamantine wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:19 pm :thanks:
Boris wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:44 pmIf this report is correct, maybe it has some value.

Maybe off topic.... however I'm quite eager to know who the female Buddhist reincarnation of Gurdjieff is! :popcorn:

Me too! Some of that Gurdjieff stuff is very well spoken.

Anyway, it's really amazing how cathartic this debate has been, isn't it? I feel, like, so much more relaxed now.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis »

dzogchungpa wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:34 am Me too! Some of that Gurdjieff stuff is very well spoken.

Anyway, it's really amazing how cathartic this debate has been, isn't it? I feel, like, so much more relaxed now.
Lol I’m thinking you’re sort of evil.
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

dzogchungpa wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:34 am

:smile:
heart

Post by heart »

And now you know! I follow her on facebook she seems like an unusual girl.

http://www.celticbuddhism.org/lineage.html

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

heart wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:37 am

/magnus

Now that's interesting.
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

dzogchungpa wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:01 am

/magnus

Now that's interesting.
Are the celtic Buddhists an authentic nyingma lineage?
*The celtic buddhists Authenticity Debate starts here*
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:16 pmThe Buddha when referred to prior to his awakening is called the Bodhisattva in Hinayāna texts.
Are you repeating my point for your sake or for mine? :roll:
In the Bhayabherava Sutta Buddha mentions that he recalled his myriad pasts lives, who he was, what his name was an so on during the first watch of the night of his awakening, prior to gaining awakening. You really think during that time he did not recall teachings he received from Buddhas in the past?
Ummmmm... We are not discussing the Bhayabherava Sutta (MN 4), we are discussing SN 12.65. Regardless of this fact, in MN 4 it is still not 100% clear whether he is referring to realisations arising during his life as a Bodhisattva in his last life (but prior to his enlightenment during his last life) or in a previous life. Like I said: unlike Mahayana where the Buddha was already a Buddha before his appearance in this world, in Theravada he was a Bodhisattva up until the point where he sat under the bodhi tree and achieved enlightenment (but now I am repeating myself).

He does mention recollection of his past lives in MN 4, but he makes no mention of his knowledge arising from teachings he received from other Buddhas. So I fail to see why you mention the particular Sutta as it is not really evidence against the notion that Dharma is eternal ie it does not contradict my interpretation of SN 12.65.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

PuerAzaelis wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:38 pmTsoknyi Rinpoche has this thing where he says ok, I'm now going to give you the final ultimate super-secret mantra empowerment please sit up and pay attention - "who cares?" That's it. Oh, wait, I forgot to make it super holy - "Om, who cares, Soha". :rolling:
It doesn't get more establishment ("authentic") than Tsoknyi Rinpoche: a tulku from a family of tulku, holder of two lineages, has his own monastery, taught by some of the greatest teachers around, etc...

Shiiiiiitttt... He even has Richard Gere officially listed as a student.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Grigoris wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:02 pm Has anybody here seen the terma/teaching/sadhana?
I have, partially; when i was looking for karmamudra teachings/instructions i've examined a few words without knowing of it's controversy and discarded it. Sorry. It lacked substance.

Don't know if this satisfy you all haha, it's only my experience, which is as valid as yours. Maybe someone else has karma or something for this to be useful in some way.
_______

Btw, in the end i need oral -not from a book-
instructions on Naropa's yogas, which contains the secondary practice of karmamudra, from a experienced lama/yogin, and the very best is taking Chakrasamvara initiation also, and of course integrate with the yidam. For recive this -specifically the karmamudra directions- i need to proove myself as a serious yogin. This is no toy, i mean it... i need some luck. That's of someone also want some info about.

And guys, the are quarrels here... kaliyuga sounds familiar?
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Tiago Simões wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:21 am

/magnus

Now that's interesting.
Well here's one of their profiles. There's also a Rinpoche! This one mentions being recognised by ChNN asa teacher:

''Venerable Thom Kilts was ordained with his wife Sarah at the Oracle statue on Boa Island in Ireland in 2007. He has a lifetime of Buddhist training in both secular and monastic settings. Thom was endorsed by Tulku Thondup Rinpoche and Chogyal Namkhai Rinpoche separately as a Dharma Teacher in the Nyingmapa Lineage of Vajrayana Buddhism before becoming a Lineage Holder of Celtic Buddhism. ''
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

/magnus

Now that's interesting.
Just because all teachings *might* be valid, it does not follow that all *are* valid. Some are just delusional.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

PeterC wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:32 pm

Now that's interesting.
Just because all teachings *might* be valid, it does not follow that all *are* valid. Some are just delusional.
Time to create slavic buddhism. All the teachings can be traced to buddha Vždydobroj (Samantabhadra) and Diamantomysl... okay bit harder than expected.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:21 amI have, partially; when i was looking for karmamudra teachings/instructions i've examined a few words without knowing of it's controversy and discarded it. Sorry. It lacked substance.

Don't know if this satisfy you all haha, it's only my experience, which is as valid as yours. Maybe someone else has karma or something for this to be useful in some way.
_______

Btw, in the end i need oral -not from a book-
instructions on Naropa's yogas, which contains the secondary practice of karmamudra, from a experienced lama/yogin, and the very best is taking Chakrasamvara initiation also, and of course integrate with the yidam. For recive this -specifically the karmamudra directions- i need to proove myself as a serious yogin. This is no toy, i mean it... i need some luck. That's of someone also want some info about.

And guys, the are quarrels here... kaliyuga sounds familiar?
You need oral karmamudra, huh? Don't we all? :tongue:

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Mantrik wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:42 amWell here's one of their profiles. There's also a Rinpoche! This one mentions being recognised by ChNN asa teacher:

''Venerable Thom Kilts was ordained with his wife Sarah at the Oracle statue on Boa Island in Ireland in 2007. He has a lifetime of Buddhist training in both secular and monastic settings. Thom was endorsed by Tulku Thondup Rinpoche and Chogyal Namkhai Rinpoche separately as a Dharma Teacher in the Nyingmapa Lineage of Vajrayana Buddhism before becoming a Lineage Holder of Celtic Buddhism. ''
He is a "Venerable" (ie a monastic) and married?

Well I guess, like somebody else around here said: If they believe it, it must be true.

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Grigoris wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:21 pm
Mantrik wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:42 amWell here's one of their profiles. There's also a Rinpoche! This one mentions being recognised by ChNN asa teacher:

He is a "Venerable" (ie a monastic) and married?

Well I guess, like somebody else around here said: If they believe it, it must be true.
I'd suggest starting another thread, but the founder of this group of Knights, Rinpoches, Venerables etc. has already been discussed here on DW re. 'Celtic Buddhism'. It's one thing to have a fantasy lineage..........and quite another to claim authority from a living Master, ChNN, to teach in the Nyingma.

As far as I know ChNN does not give people authority to teach in the Nyingma lineage; is this correct?

If the guy is earning money off the back of this, leaving aside the whacky Dharma stuff, it could be fraud. Unless, of course, there is another Chogyal Namkhai....
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

Mantrik wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:39 pm I'd suggest starting another thread, but the founder of this group of Knights, Rinpoches, Venerables etc. has already been discussed here on DW re. 'Celtic Buddhism'. It's one thing to have a fantasy lineage..........and quite another to claim authority from a living Master, ChNN, to teach in the Nyingma.

As far as I know ChNN does not give people authority to teach in the Nyingma lineage; is this correct?

If the guy is earning money off the back of this, leaving aside the whacky Dharma stuff, it could be fraud. Unless, of course, there is another Chogyal Namkhai....
From what I understand, they were inspired by Trungpa Rinpoche. Personally an attempt to try and join a living tradition (Vajrayana) and a dead recreated religion (celtic neo-paganism) can only end in a pretty silly joke. :tongue:

Return to “Nyingma”