The Aro Authenticity Debate.

Kris

Re: The Aro Authenticity Debate.

Post by Kris »

Tenma wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:06 pm
Dahomey of West Africa did human sacrifices, but for kings and queens' funerals, not for some black magic. Also, Vodun originates from West Africa by slaves who then mixed it with Christianity in order to keep their African customs(African gods disguised as saints, Erzuli becoming Black Virgin Mary). So yes, West Africa did human sacrifice, but not in a Western sense nor for spirits, but rather for funerals. Same with Zulus of South Africa(we saw what happened with many cows and humans when Shaka Zulu's mom died...). Even Egyptians practiced human sacrifices(or at least earlier times for dead pharaohs until around late Old and early Middle Kingdom). Vodun is simply an effort to protect African traditions. Not some black magic belief to kill someone or whatever.

I'll ask my aunt about that she is close to Mama Zogbe who is head mamaissii of the amenganaise and mami wata line. I have never heard about human sacrafice in afa vodoun :shrug:
Also I'm sure vodoun originated millenniums before the slave trade. The diaspora did synchronize though. As seen here they did synchronize dattatreya, there are also very curious buddha statues withing the shrines.
108.jpg
108.jpg (24.95 KiB) Viewed 4945 times
Actually i'm not sure how this relates to the original topic at all, i'm totally :offtopic:
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

KrisW wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:58 am
I'll ask my aunt about that she is close to Mama Zogbe who is head mamaissii of the amenganaise and mami wata line. I have never heard about human sacrafice in afa vodoun :shrug:
Also I'm sure vodoun originated millenniums before the slave trade. The diaspora did synchronize though. As seen here they did synchronize dattatreya, there are also very curious buddha statues withing the shrines.
108.jpg

Actually i'm not sure how this relates to the original topic at all, i'm totally :offtopic:
I have never heard (legitimate) stories about human sacrifice in Vodoun.
They do practice animal sacrifice, but I don't think anyone who eats meet has a moral leg to stand on against that (especially if they eat factory farmed meat!).

I could be wrong about this, but while Hatian vodoun is rooted deeply in African traditions, I think it is separate. The Petro Loa do not (I believe) exist in Africa and were called forth to overthrow the colonial powers (...successfully!).
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

KrisW wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:58 amI'll ask my aunt about that she is close to Mama Zogbe who is head mamaissii of the amenganaise and mami wata line. I have never heard about human sacrafice in afa vodoun :shrug:

That is really interesting, I had no idea that there was a connection between Mami Wata and Dattatreya. I guess he has become identified with her consort Denzu.

Well, there is some, admittedly tenuous, connection as Doc Togden has been known to refer to Papa Legba from time to time.
Not to mention that I reported a pure vision of Mami Wata earlier in the thread. :smile:
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

KrisW wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:58 am
Tenma wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:06 pm
Dahomey of West Africa did human sacrifices, but for kings and queens' funerals, not for some black magic. Also, Vodun originates from West Africa by slaves who then mixed it with Christianity in order to keep their African customs(African gods disguised as saints, Erzuli becoming Black Virgin Mary). So yes, West Africa did human sacrifice, but not in a Western sense nor for spirits, but rather for funerals. Same with Zulus of South Africa(we saw what happened with many cows and humans when Shaka Zulu's mom died...). Even Egyptians practiced human sacrifices(or at least earlier times for dead pharaohs until around late Old and early Middle Kingdom). Vodun is simply an effort to protect African traditions. Not some black magic belief to kill someone or whatever.

108.jpg

Good point. Though I mean as in American Vodun. African Vodun is WAY more traditional.
I've never seen a Voodoo deity so similar to a Hindu deity. Interesting...
Perhaps Mami Wata is some naga mother goddess(or perhaps even Manasa herself) and Dambhalla is perhaps Lutsen Ngardrag Dingwa(or some naga king).
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

KrisW wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:34 pm
Grigoris wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:21 pm
KrisW wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:27 pmI am trying to figure out where they are doing these human sacrifices :?

are they from central or west Africa?
Central West Africa, as opposed to Far West. :smile:
Just looked around a bit. Those "witch doctors" are sick.
:cry: :cry: :cry:
For those of us who have teenagers, can you clarify that please? Is that derogatory or superlative?
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

Karma Dorje wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:43 am
KrisW wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:34 pm
Grigoris wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:21 pm Central West Africa, as opposed to Far West. :smile:
Just looked around a bit. Those "witch doctors" are sick.
:cry: :cry: :cry:
For those of us who have teenagers, can you clarify that please? Is that derogatory or superlative?
lol!
Based on the context and the sad faces I'm thinking it's being used derogatorily in this case.
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

I've looked through these pages, and what surprises me is that no one has referenced or used the criteria expressed in "Hidden Teachings of Tibet: an explanation of the Terma tradition of Tibetan Buddhism" / Tulku Thondup Rinpoche. Maybe I'm completely missing the point.

Also, in that text, I forget where, there is reference to a "Dharma Holder" or something similar. This is someone who has a certain level of practice, who the terton gives the empowerment of the terma to, who then has to do the practice to 1) confirm it is an authentic terma 2) gain the signs of accomplishment to show that that terma is right for the sentient beings of this time. Then the Dharma Holder has to them give the empowerment back to the terton to fulfill the blessings or authenticity for it to be given to others.

I heard this has happened in the case of many tertons, they test each others termas like this.

Now I have also heard it said, by what I consider a very traditional and authentic source, that termas or pure visions can appear in anyone's mind. The criteria they must meet is that the revealer must be able to transmit that to others, and that the practice of those terma should lead to signs of accomplishment and liberation.

Traditionally, those who are the heart holders and students of such termas keep track and verify those who show the signs of accomplishment as they pass.
"People are fond of saying all sorts of things about others behind their backs, mentioning their names again and again. Instead of slandering others in this way, “slander” the yidam: utter his name repeatedly by reciting his mantra all the time." - Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche - Zurchungpa’s Testament - Shambhala Publications
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

dzogchungpa wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:13 pm An interview with the man:
http://www.guruviking.com/guru-viking-i ... a-chogyam/
He sounds quite alright.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Tiago Simões wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 9:42 pm
dzogchungpa wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:13 pm An interview with the man:
http://www.guruviking.com/guru-viking-i ... a-chogyam/
He sounds quite alright.

I haven't listened to it yet, but I will report back when I do.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Loppon Ogyan Tanzin Rinpoche and Aro gTer...

The plot thickens! NOT! :tongue:
lotr and aro.jpg
lotr and aro.jpg (48.07 KiB) Viewed 3915 times
lotr and aro ii.jpg
lotr and aro ii.jpg (54.9 KiB) Viewed 3915 times
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Grigoris wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:59 am Loppon Ogyan Tanzin Rinpoche and Aro gTer...

The plot thickens! NOT! :tongue:

lotr and aro.jpg
lotr and aro ii.jpg
Mini Me! ;)
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Whats the connection?Just a photo op?
heart

Post by heart »

13735665_1598806637084255_7687208598267222560_o.jpg
13735665_1598806637084255_7687208598267222560_o.jpg (180.03 KiB) Viewed 3867 times
To the left you see our Grigoris.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

The necessary next step is a photo of Greg and the Aro people.
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

amanitamusc wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:37 am Whats the connection?Just a photo op?
Nothing exciting: Rinpoche went and gave some teachings from the Dudjom Tersar and advised that they get their terma verified.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

treehuggingoctopus wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:56 am The necessary next step is a photo of Greg and the Aro people.
I will releasing my terma next week. Came to me straight from the mouth of Samantabhadri, thus (thankfully) bypassing the need for me to find a lineage. Stay tuned people! :smile:

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Grigoris wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:01 pm
treehuggingoctopus wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:56 am The necessary next step is a photo of Greg and the Aro people.
I will releasing my terma next week. Came to me straight from the mouth of Samantabhadri, thus (thankfully) bypassing the need for me to find a lineage. Stay tuned people! :smile:
Never trust a Gregoris bearing termas!
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

:bow: :tongue:
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

Can we preorder right now?
Have you considered kickstarting it? Highly recommended.

(You definitely have to work on your facial hair, you know. As far as I am concerned, it is still the dealbreaker.)
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès

Return to “Nyingma”