The Aro Authenticity Debate.

PeterC

Re: The Aro Authenticity Debate.

Post by PeterC »

Grigoris wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:21 pm
Mantrik wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:42 amWell here's one of their profiles. There's also a Rinpoche! This one mentions being recognised by ChNN asa teacher:

''Venerable Thom Kilts was ordained with his wife Sarah at the Oracle statue on Boa Island in Ireland in 2007. He has a lifetime of Buddhist training in both secular and monastic settings. Thom was endorsed by Tulku Thondup Rinpoche and Chogyal Namkhai Rinpoche separately as a Dharma Teacher in the Nyingmapa Lineage of Vajrayana Buddhism before becoming a Lineage Holder of Celtic Buddhism. ''
He is a "Venerable" (ie a monastic) and married?

Well I guess, like somebody else around here said: If they believe it, it must be true.
He also has the best dharma name ever:
In July, 2016 Thom Kilts was empowered as Seonaidh's dharma heir. He was given the name: The Very Perky Dorje Sang Khor.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Actually the Celtic motifs and Tibetan iconographic style blend
surprisingly well here...
http://www.celticbuddhism.org/paintings.html
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

These guys are so much more Aro than Aro...
We take refuge in the lineage
Of scoundrels, misfits, and noble ones;
Of those whose only purpose
Is to manifest Buddha-wisdom;
By any means necessary.
http://www.celticbuddhism.org/gaelicchant.html
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Adamantine wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:01 pm Actually the Celtic motifs and Tibetan iconographic style blend
surprisingly well here...
http://www.celticbuddhism.org/paintings.html
Yes, lovely work. Needs Belenos and Taranis though. ;)
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Grigoris wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:43 am
Malcolm wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:16 pmThe Buddha when referred to prior to his awakening is called the Bodhisattva in Hinayāna texts.
Are you repeating my point for your sake or for mine? :roll:
In the Bhayabherava Sutta Buddha mentions that he recalled his myriad pasts lives, who he was, what his name was an so on during the first watch of the night of his awakening, prior to gaining awakening. You really think during that time he did not recall teachings he received from Buddhas in the past?
Ummmmm... We are not discussing the Bhayabherava Sutta (MN 4), we are discussing SN 12.65. Regardless of this fact, in MN 4 it is still not 100% clear whether he is referring to realisations arising during his life as a Bodhisattva in his last life (but prior to his enlightenment during his last life) or in a previous life.
Yes, it is. It refers to Udraka Rāmaputra and Ālāra Kalama.
Like I said: unlike Mahayana where the Buddha was already a Buddha before his appearance in this world, in Theravada he was a Bodhisattva up until the point where he sat under the bodhi tree and achieved enlightenment (but now I am repeating myself).
Yes, this is well known.

He does mention recollection of his past lives in MN 4, but he makes no mention of his knowledge arising from teachings he received from other Buddhas. So I fail to see why you mention the particular Sutta as it is not really evidence against the notion that Dharma is eternal ie it does not contradict my interpretation of SN 12.65.
Eternal things do not disappear, but conditioned things with parts, for example, the Dharma, do:

"That's the way it is, Kassapa. When beings are degenerating and the true Dhamma is disappearing, there are more training rules and yet fewer monks established in final gnosis. There is no disappearance of the true Dhamma as long as a counterfeit of the true Dhamma has not arisen in the world, but there is the disappearance of the true Dhamma when a counterfeit of the true Dhamma has arisen in the world. Just as there is no disappearance of gold as long as a counterfeit of gold has not arisen in the world, but there is the disappearance of gold when a counterfeit of gold has arisen in the world, in the same way there is no disappearance of the true Dhamma as long as a counterfeit of the true Dhamma has not arisen in the world, but there is the disappearance of the true Dhamma when a counterfeit of the true Dhamma has arisen in the world

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html

There are many things which lead to the perishing of the Dharma, Christopher Titmus lists a number of sources concerning this here:

https://www.christophertitmussblog.org/ ... the-buddha

Dependent origination is simply, Where is arose, that arose; with the arising of that, this arises." If you assert the Dharma is dependent origination, then you will are asserting a impermanent, conditioned thing as the Dharma in contradiction to your claim. I am happy to accept that teachings on dependent origination are the Dharma, since the Buddha said, "Whoever sees dependent origination sees the Dharma, whoever sees the Dharma sees dependent origination." [M.I.190] But if you claim the Dharma is eternal, you will claim that dependent origination is eternal.

Likewise, at S.III.120, the Buddha says, "Whoever sees the Dharma sees the Buddha, whoever sees the Buddha sees the Dharma." Clearly, the Buddha is not eternal according to these sources, so claiming based on Pali sources that the Dharma or the Buddha is eternal is not going to fly.

Beyond that, only two kinds of Dharma are defined the texts we have-- scripture and realization. Since texts and oral traditions vanish, and realized people die; both are impermanent. Thus, defining a third Dharma which is permanent or eternal is novel and without textual basis.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:23 pmDependent origination is simply, Where is arose, that arose; with the arising of that, this arises." If you assert the Dharma is dependent origination, then you will are asserting a impermanent, conditioned thing as the Dharma in contradiction to your claim.
??? What are you talking about ??? This is like claiming that gravity did not exist until Newton said it existed. Whether the explanation/teaching regarding Dependent Origination exists or not is irrelevant, Dependent Origination continues to function. Our lack of awareness of it does not mean it does not exist anymore.
I am happy to accept that teachings on dependent origination are the Dharma, since the Buddha said, "Whoever sees dependent origination sees the Dharma, whoever sees the Dharma sees dependent origination." [M.I.190] But if you claim the Dharma is eternal, you will claim that dependent origination is eternal.
If we both agree that samsara is infinite, then you will have to agree that dependent origination functions infinitely too. Infinite and eternal being synonyms...
Likewise, at S.III.120, the Buddha says, "Whoever sees the Dharma sees the Buddha, whoever sees the Buddha sees the Dharma." Clearly, the Buddha is not eternal according to these sources, so claiming based on Pali sources that the Dharma or the Buddha is eternal is not going to fly.
If you believe he is speaking in reference to the Nirmanakaya and not the Dharmakaya then yes, it is not going to fly.
Beyond that, only two kinds of Dharma are defined the texts we have-- scripture and realization. Since texts and oral traditions vanish, and realized people die; both are impermanent.
A minute ago you were arguing that the Dharma expopunded by the Buddha was based on his training in the stages under past Buddhas and now you say that realisation disappears with the dissolution of this particular combination of name and form. Make up your mind.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Tiago Simões wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:21 am
dzogchungpa wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:01 am
heart wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:37 amAnd now you know! I follow her on facebook she seems like an unusual girl.

http://www.celticbuddhism.org/lineage.html

/magnus

Now that's interesting.
Are the celtic Buddhists an authentic nyingma lineage?
*The celtic buddhists Authenticity Debate starts here*

Well, as far as fruiting bodies sprouting from invisible rhizomes in the field of Buddhism go, they seem to be pretty harmless so who are we to criticize them? That Sophie Perks is a bit too glamorous for my taste though.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Grigoris wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:15 pmYou need oral karmamudra, huh? Don't we all? :tongue:

Technically, I believe this is called "karmamukha". Just sayin'.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

dzogchungpa wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:35 pm
Grigoris wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:15 pmYou need oral karmamudra, huh? Don't we all? :tongue:

Nah, that's facework...plastic surgery. He likes that too. :)

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Grigoris wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:09 pm
Malcolm wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:23 pmDependent origination is simply, Where is arose, that arose; with the arising of that, this arises." If you assert the Dharma is dependent origination, then you will are asserting a impermanent, conditioned thing as the Dharma in contradiction to your claim.
??? What are you talking about ??? This is like claiming that gravity did not exist until Newton said it existed. Whether the explanation/teaching regarding Dependent Origination exists or not is irrelevant, Dependent Origination continues to function. Our lack of awareness of it does not mean it does not exist anymore.
"Dependent origination" cannot be found as some independent entity. It is not something that stands apart from dependently originated phenomena.
Dependent origination is just "Because this exists, that exists, with the arising of that, this arose."

I am happy to accept that teachings on dependent origination are the Dharma, since the Buddha said, "Whoever sees dependent origination sees the Dharma, whoever sees the Dharma sees dependent origination." [M.I.190] But if you claim the Dharma is eternal, you will claim that dependent origination is eternal.
If we both agree that samsara is infinite, then you will have to agree that dependent origination functions infinitely too. Infinite and eternal being synonyms...
I agree that conditioned phenomena have no beginning. The term "dependent origination" is just a word we use to describe "arising from conditions."

Further, knowing dependent origination does not necessarily lead to liberation. That is why we need the Dharma, to explain how insight into dependent origination leads to the pacification of proliferation that characterizes nirvana or peace.
If you believe he is speaking in reference to the Nirmanakaya and not the Dharmakaya then yes, it is not going to fly.
The Theravada concept of Dhammakāya is the qualities of the Buddha, such as the ten powers and so on. But it is no more permanent than the Buddha. No buddha, no qualities.

Even in Mahāyāna, dharmakāya is not a thing, per se.
A minute ago you were arguing that the Dharma expopunded by the Buddha was based on his training in the stages under past Buddhas and now you say that realisation disappears with the dissolution of this particular combination of name and form. Make up your mind.
There is no contradiction. The Dharma of past Buddhas no longer exists, as least not in any complete form. What we know of the Dharma of past Buddhas comes from this Buddha. Even so, the Dharma is something with parts, something that is perishable. There is no Dharma outside of the scripture and realization -- but texts decay and realized people die.

If you want "Eternal" Dharma, look to Hinduism and its Sanatana Dharma.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Mantrik wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:52 pm

Well, I think the term can have various meanings. Anyway, are you referring to those big black disks in his earlobes? What are those called anyway?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

BTW, the Saddharmapundarika Sūtra states:

If no phenomena are perceived at all,
that is the great wisdom that perceives
the whole dharmakāya.
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

dzogchungpa wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:12 pm

Well, I think the term can have various meanings. Anyway, are you referring to those big black disks in his earlobes? What are those called anyway?
Ear gauges, stretchers or plugs, something like that...
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Tiago Simões wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:40 pm

Personally, I stick with the tattoos.........It's called 'inkikarma' .
Thinking about it, my tatts include Buddhist, Hindu and Celtic designs. Maybe that's why I like the 'Celtic Buddhist' art. Sticking with the Aro topic, I wonder how many people who giggle at their brocade, as I do, have a bunch of tatts others would find amusing or bemusing.

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Tiago Simões wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:40 pmEar gauges, stretchers or plugs, something like that...

OK, thanks for the info.

BTW, you were asking for book recommendations in that other thread. John Perks, the founder of Celtic Buddhism, has a book called "The Mahasiddha and His Idiot Servant" that, in my personal opinion, is very well spoken.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

dzogchungpa wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:01 pm
Tiago Simões wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:40 pmEar gauges, stretchers or plugs, something like that...

OK, thanks for the info.

BTW, you were asking for book recommendations in that other thread. John Perks, the found of Celtic Buddhism, has a book called "The Mahasiddha and His Idiot Servant" that I think is very well spoken.
Yes.........and now incredibly expensive, so must be out of print.

Chogyam also has a book which is a good read called 'Wisdom Eccentrics' and it is a good insight into the founder of Aro, and his path, including Dudjom Rinpoche etc.

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Mantrik wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:08 pm
dzogchungpa wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:01 pmBTW, you were asking for book recommendations in that other thread. John Perks, the found of Celtic Buddhism, has a book called "The Mahasiddha and His Idiot Servant" that I think is very well spoken.
Yes.........and now incredibly expensive, so must be out of print.

Chogyam also has a book which is a good read called 'Wisdom Eccentrics' and it is a good insight into the founder of Aro, and his path, including Dudjom Rinpoche etc.

Yes, I've been meaning to read that for a while. The expression "wisdom eccentrics", due to Thinley Norbu Rinpoche, is very good and first appears, I think, in his "Magic Dance". The Perks book is available online if you know where to look.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:01 pmBut it is no more permanent than the Buddha. No buddha, no qualities.
Whoa there cowboy! A second ago you were quoting Maitreyanatha to the tune of "Only the Buddha is eternal". Now you are saying that the Buddha is not eternal?

Then you said something to the tune of: The Buddha is the Dharma. Well if the Buddha is the Dharma and the Buddha is eternal... Or am I making some sort of logic fallacy here?
The Dharma of past Buddhas no longer exists, as least not in any complete form.
I see a qualifier there. But a second ago you said that the Buddha rediscovering the ancient path was based on what he received from past Buddhas, now you are saying...
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Mantrik wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:07 pm
Tiago Simões wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:40 pm

Personally, I stick with the tattoos.........It's called 'inkikarma' .
Thinking about it, my tatts include Buddhist, Hindu and Celtic designs. Maybe that's why I like the 'Celtic Buddhist' art. Sticking with the Aro topic, I wonder how many people who giggle at their brocade, as I do, have a bunch of tatts others would find amusing or bemusing.
In all honesty, the whole (Neo) Celtic movement is amusing to me, leaving aside the Buddha Dharma's association with this stuff. the 18th and 19th century explanations regarding "Celtic Migration" into the British Isles, from Germany/Austria/Iberian Peninsula are now largely discounted. One can talk of "Celtic Languages" and of a "Celtic" anthropological classifications, but all that is now called "Celtic" is really a fantasy of recent provenance.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Grigoris wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:33 pm
Malcolm wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:01 pmBut it is no more permanent than the Buddha. No buddha, no qualities.
Whoa there cowboy! A second ago you were quoting Maitreyanatha to the tune of "Only the Buddha is eternal". Now you are saying that the Buddha is not eternal?
No, I never said the Buddha was eternal. What Maitreyanatha states is that "the refuge for going to the ultimate meaning is the Buddha alone because the Muni possesses the dharma body." He does not state that the Buddha is permanent. He is saying that the two kinds of Dharma, that of scripture and realization, are perishable, as well as the Sangha.
Then you said something to the tune of: The Buddha is the Dharma. Well if the Buddha is the Dharma and the Buddha is eternal... Or am I making some sort of logic fallacy here?
Well, yes, you are making an error in logic, because you are mixing up the yānas. You cited something from a Pali Sutta, so I did.

But I began this part of our discussion by pointing out that only the Buddha was a refuge in contrast to your assertion that Dharma was eternal and imperishable, by which you apparently mean "constant," just as 2=2 = 4 is a constant. If you say the Dharma is a constant, then I can agree with that language. If you say it is permanent, I cannot agree with that language because the Dharma isn't permanent, even though it is a constant.

But a second ago you said that the Buddha rediscovering the ancient path was based on what he received from past Buddhas, now you are saying...
It is obvious when you take into account everything the Buddha has said about his past lives in the Pali Sutta and his awakening, and do not merely select from one source sutta, as you have done.

Return to “Nyingma”