Using bell when chanting mantras and an apology

MatthewAngby

Using bell when chanting mantras and an apology

Post by MatthewAngby » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:54 am

Okay... first off , I would like to apologise to all who I have bashed on earlier on the debate with dad topic. I know I’m not the wisest or knowledgeable kid so I tend to just lose my patience sometimes. I kinda felt bad aft all this... so sorry guys.

But please don’t bash on me again for this topic.

I would just like to ask, is it possible to use ur bell and ring it when ur chanting mantras so that it can create a musical melody?
The force is my ally...and a powerful ally it is - Yoda

Mantrik

Re: Using bell when chanting mantras and an apology

Post by Mantrik » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:13 am

I have been taught that mantras are best whispered, under your breath, with no melody.
You may hear a melody (for example for Garchen Rinpoche's Vajrakilaya, but this seems to be an aid to memory rather than a recommendation of how to practise it.)

Some sadhanas, of course, make use of the bell and damaru and you are taught when to use them, and how.
My brain doesn't cope well with that so I need to write notes on the text to indicate the timing.........and I still get it wrong.

If you have received transmission of a practice and can't easily access the teacher again, there is sometimes cd/dvd/mp3/youtube support for melodies etc.
http://www.khyung.com

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Miroku

Post by Miroku » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:52 pm

I think it is better not to use it. Bells in vajrayana are things used for practice in a special way and has quite a deep symbolism etc. It is not a mere musical instrument. But that is my personal idea, not sure if it is shared or valid.

I have been taught that some mantras can be sung (peaceful mantras like mani) as melody if it was given to you by a master can enhance the practice (I am pretty sure this info comes from Garchen Rinpoche) and also can benefit beings, but if you are doing a retreat than it is better to whisper so only you can hear it as it helps to generate the function of the mantra faster. Wrathful mantras aloud are a big nono. It bothers the spirits.
Child, if you are not hypocritical and out of control, that is conduct.
~ Padampa Sangye

You say such clever things to people, but you do not apply them to yourself.
The faults within you are the ones to be exposed.
~ Padampa Sangye

SonamTashi

Post by SonamTashi » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:01 pm

If you haven't been taught how to use them for a specific practice, then I would think it would be best to wait to receive instruction from a teacher.

I think it would be best to wait to be instructed before using any tantric instrument. I waited until I received explicit instruction before I started using a prayer wheel.

Different practices are best with a bell or another instrument, mudra, etc. but you won't really know until your teacher instructs you in which practices to use which instruments.
Formerly known as emceecombs

Also known as:

Kenyo

Josh

Amituofo :anjali:

SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:33 pm

MatthewAngby wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:54 am
Okay... first off , I would like to apologise to all who I have bashed on earlier on the debate with dad topic. I know I’m not the wisest or knowledgeable kid so I tend to just lose my patience sometimes. I kinda felt bad aft all this... so sorry guys.

I would just like to ask, is it possible to use ur bell and ring it when ur chanting mantras so that it can create a musical melody?
Huh, our Zen group uses chanting, the handouts show when the bell is rung. It’s standard operating procedure
“Nothing holy, just vast empty space!”

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:07 pm

SunWuKong wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:33 pm
MatthewAngby wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:54 am

Huh, our Zen group uses chanting, the handouts show when the bell is rung. It’s standard operating procedure
A bell in Zen isn’t the same thing as a bell in vajrayana

OP: it seems that you’re getting a bit ahead of yourself on a lot of these posts. The best advice anyone here can give you is to just do what you’ve been told to do by your teacher and leave it at that.