Four Dharma Seals

Malcolm

Re: Four Dharma Seals

Post by Malcolm »

weitsicht wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:34 pm
DGA wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:57 pm Actually, "being compounded" is the proof there is no such thing as "inherent existence."
No, three things are uncompounded. Or do you abnegate that?
So I understand you say "absence of inherent existence" always means "being compounded"? But then "presence of inherent existence" always means "being uncompounded"?
No, also, the three unconditioned dharmas also lack inherent existence since they also lack a self.

And no, I have no idea how uncompoundedness could be proven by logic.
There are two kinds of space discussed in Buddhist texts. The first and most important is space as "absence of obsctruction." This is uncompounded or unconditioned space. The second kind of space is dimension, such as the dimension of the cavity in a cup. That kind of space is compounded.

The other two unconditioned dharmas, the two cessations, also lack inherent existence because they are the absence of causes, and do not by themselves exist.
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:41 pm There are two kinds of space discussed in Buddhist texts. The first and most important is space as "absence of obsctruction." This is uncompounded or unconditioned space.

Last night after i posted ...i was pondering space as i dozed off....and then realized that what i was thinking, (space containing oxygen & dark matter) are things CONTAINED INSIDE SPACE. Because the Uncompounded space has the capacity to contain everything (phenomenal compounded things). And since (Ultimately), these compounded phenomena do not exist, they do not obstruct space....so......Ultimately they are equal to space ?
marting

Post by marting »

Does the word 'reification' add any context here?
weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

DGA wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:34 pm Yes, a category is always compounded, and for this reason, we know it has no inherent existence. I'd respond to the rest but there's a bigger point that is more important, and I'm dealing with a case of the Schupfen. I want to go to bed.

[...]The hardest possible way is to try to think things through over and over on your own. This is a recipe for struggle. Very intelligent people can bind themselves up in this way. Remember how Goethe melted down when it was demonstrated to him that white light isn't some pure spiritual substance, but is compounded of several colors of light? He then tried to reinvent the rules of science in order to prove his own Romantic ideas true, instead of showing some humility about it. That's ego for you.
Get well soon. And please add an N to Schnupfen.

And yes, I am aware of the pondering trap. Not posting here to postulate or convince, rather than to discuss.
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE
weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

To whom this may be of interest:

The phycicist claims two thing being uncompounded: time and space.

There's where the difference lies.
Maybe in the future a new elementary particle for time will solve that?

We'll see.
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

weitsicht wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:39 pm To whom this may be of interest:

We'll see.
Neither time nor space in physics are uncompounded since they both are subject to change and modification.
weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:13 pm

We'll see.
Neither time nor space in physics are uncompounded since they both are subject to change and modification.
Hmmm -you mean that second kind of space as mentioned in your January 29th post?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

weitsicht wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:33 pm
Malcolm wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:13 pm

We'll see.
Hmmm -you mean that second kind of space as mentioned in your January 29th post?

Yes.

Return to “Nyingma”