Four Dharma Seals

Caoimhghín

Re: Four Dharma Seals

Post by Caoimhghín »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:06 pm
Coëmgenu wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:34 pm
Malcolm wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:00 pm

Neither did I until I looked it up in the bKa' 'gyur and bstan 'gyur last night. There are all kinds of received ideas we do not question.
The Digital Dictionary of Buddhism lists 三印 ("the three seals") as a translation of tridṛṣṭinamittamudrā specifically in the case of T 262.9.15b7 (妙法蓮華經, Ven Kumārajīva translation). Very interesting.
Sounds like a reconstruction to me.
Most certainly could be. I am out of my depth in most of the things I am interested in. Nonetheless, I found it interesting.
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Coëmgenu wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:14 pm
Coëmgenu wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:34 pm

The Digital Dictionary of Buddhism lists 三印 ("the three seals") as a translation of tridṛṣṭinamittamudrā specifically in the case of T 262.9.15b7 (妙法蓮華經, Ven Kumārajīva translation). Very interesting.
Most certainly could be. I am out of my depth in most of the things I am interested in. Nonetheless, I found it interesting.

FYI, it would be helpful to include a Sanskrit title, like Saddharmapundarika-- assuming I am correct, this phrase is missing from the Tibetan text.

M
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:48 pm

FYI, it would be helpful to include a Sanskrit title, like Saddharmapundarika-- assuming I am correct, this phrase is missing from the Tibetan text.

M
Apologies, I figured the Taishō number was the most straightforward way.
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Coëmgenu wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:25 pm
Malcolm wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:48 pm

M
Apologies, I figured the Taishō number was the most straightforward way.
No worries, but it is an unattested reasding, i.e., pretty basless, Can you tell me exactly what chapter this comes from?

M
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

Simon E. wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:05 pm
SunWuKong wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:36 pm No no no
Annica/Anitya
anatta/Anatman
dukkha/duhkha
Nibbana/nirvana

Emotion has nothing to do with it. All phenomena ultimately fail. Only in seeing beyond the phenomena can you see beyond its failure.
I am unclear what point you are making..Who or what is this addressed to?
Weitschist
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

SunWuKong wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:36 pm No no no
Annica/Anitya
anatta/Anatman
dukkha/duhkha
Nibbana/nirvana

Emotion has nothing to do with it. All phenomena ultimately fail. Only in seeing beyond the phenomena can you see beyond its failure.
What do you mean by "it"?

I don't quite see (1) and (2) reflected in your list or do you refer to a different list?
If so, why five?

I have a particular problem with the statement that "All phenomena ultimately fail."
How about
- space
- matter
- paradoxy
?
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE
weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

Sorry to bore those deeper acquainted to the dharma, my question is seriously posted:

What is it that is uncompoud?

I remember from a teaching, but cannot cite and may be wrong, there are three only:
(1) Nirvana
(2) Entrance into nirvana and
(3) mind

Could you please confirm or correct?

If so, why for example paradoxy is compound?

Thanks
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

We are tainted by a false doctrine of cosmic consciousness and cosmic evolution, neither of which are supported by Buddhist teaching. Things are what they are. None of that is going to help us. All we can cling to is Emptiness
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Aye.

Although I wouldn't use the word cling..but I know what you mean.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

SunWuKong wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:08 pm We are tainted by a false doctrine of cosmic consciousness and cosmic evolution...
We are?
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Some are Malcolm. Even this forum is not free from perennialist/universalists who think that all paths lead to the same goal and that it just takes time.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

SunWuKong wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:08 pm We are tainted by a false doctrine of cosmic consciousness and cosmic evolution, neither of which are supported by Buddhist teaching. Things are what they are. None of that is going to help us. All we can cling to is Emptiness
At least I am not alone in here.
Tainted Love :heart:

Are you a nihilist, SunWuKong?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Simon E. wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:03 pm Some are Malcolm. Even this forum is not free from perennialist/universalists who think that all paths lead to the same goal and that it just takes time.
The he should have said "some of us."
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

SunWuKong wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:08 pmAll we can cling to is Emptiness
Good luck with that one!
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

weitsicht wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:18 pm
SunWuKong wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:08 pm We are tainted by a false doctrine of cosmic consciousness and cosmic evolution, neither of which are supported by Buddhist teaching. Things are what they are. None of that is going to help us. All we can cling to is Emptiness

Nope. I’m simply a minimalist who believes the Dharma is made for everyone. So back to Cosmic Consciousness, Cosmic Evolution, Rational Secular Buddhism, all ideas cooked up in the West and exported to the East under the guise of “westerners will believe if you tell them this” it’s solid history I can back this up. My favorite strategy here is pointing out that Darwin never suggested evolution, he suggested natural selection, and our view of earth history is being confirmed as based on catastrophe. Not evolution. Even today people operate under the idea that planting eastern practices in the West is going to usher in some kind of Age of Enlightenment, why then wasn’t this occurring in The east when thd percentages of Buddhism was much higher? Because it’s a racial historical revision.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

SunWuKong wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:20 pm
weitsicht wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:18 pm

My favorite strategy here is pointing out that Darwin never suggested evolution, he suggested natural selection, and our view of earth history is being confirmed as based on catastrophe. Not evolution.
The very last word in Origin of the Species is...wait for it..."evolved."

"From so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved."
-- Origin of the Species, Darwin
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

Okay I lost that one. I’m :oops:
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

SunWuKong wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:06 pm Okay I lost that one. I’m :oops:
Not, really, Darwin did resist use of the term precisely because it implied "improvement," rather than simple adaptation.

And, as we know, the term has been used by racists, and so on, to imply some human beings are inferior to others.
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

weitsicht wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:43 pm

I have a particular problem with the statement that "All phenomena ultimately fail."
How about
- space
- matter
- paradoxy
?
Phenomena can't liberate. They can only lead so far, after that it's necessary leaping into what's still unknown

But I'm way off topic and out of my sandbox. Sorry for being dorky.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:12 pm
SunWuKong wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:06 pm Okay I lost that one. I’m :oops:
Not, really, Darwin did resist use of the term precisely because it implied "improvement," rather than simple adaptation.

And, as we know, the term has been used by racists, and so on, to imply some human beings are inferior to others.
when evolution in this sense (not Darwin's sense) is taken up by "spirituality" writers, the racism usually comes along for the ride. Case in point: Aurobindo and his followers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri_Aurobindo

Return to “Nyingma”