Dharani of Glorious Vajra claws / Dorje Dermo

MatthewAngby

Dharani of Glorious Vajra claws / Dorje Dermo

Post by MatthewAngby »

Hello. I, again am very scared again. ( stroies again..)
https://fpmt.org/wp-content/uploads/tea ... spread.pdf

about this, i am very intrigued by it. so may i ask, after having a look at this ,how should i recite this? should i only recite the dharani or the whole script itself? can anyone tell me how should i recite this?

again im sorry if i post wrongly again ( like last time )
The force is my ally...and a powerful ally it is - Yoda
marting

Re: Dharani of Glorious Vajra claws / Dorje Dermo

Post by marting »

Chant if you want. Best that will happen is that you will be sitting in your room sounding ominous and weird. Worst that can happen is that you will be painfully bored in less than an hour.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

MatthewAngby wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:20 pm Hello. I, again am very scared again. ( stroies again..)

about this, i am very intrigued by it. so may i ask, after having a look at this ,how should i recite this? should i only recite the dharani or the whole script itself? can anyone tell me how should i recite this?

I don't think you should, without transmission. The dharani has commitments (see top of page 14).
You should establish a relationship with a deity, perform their mantra until you have some signs of making it work, and develop deep trust. Then if you are scared, a single shouted syllable may work better than reading aloud 100 pages of something you are unfamilair with.

Leaping from one practice to another thinking one is better than another or has some sort of powerful magic is futile. Avoid what frightens you and make a deeper commitment to a one practice.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

Mantrik wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:58 pm
MatthewAngby wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:20 pm Hello. I, again am very scared again. ( stroies again..)

I don't think you should, without transmission. The dharani has commitments (see top of page 14).
You should establish a relationship with a deity, perform their mantra until you have some signs of making it work, and develop deep trust. Then if you are scared, a single shouted syllable may work better than reading aloud 100 pages of something you are unfamilair with.

Leaping from one practice to another thinking one is better than another or has some sort of powerful magic is futile. Avoid what frightens you and make a deeper commitment to a one practice.
What is the seed syllable I should shout ? Also can I ask why I last time when I recite mantras , I still get spirit disturbances or attacks ( at least that’s what I think ). It was better though. Happens in lucid dreams for me. Started when i was 5. Always trapped in it. I am very scared and terrified now even as I write this. What should I do? I have no more of this now as I am in different place, but what should I do... ask for divination , do pujas? If I do this, will it like make it come back? I’m so scared now .
Please reply me soon guys
marting

Post by marting »

MatthewAngby wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:16 pm
Mantrik wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:58 pm

What is the seed syllable I should shout ? Also can I ask why I last time when I recite mantras , I still get spirit disturbances or attacks ( at least that’s what I think ). It was better though. Happens in lucid dreams for me. Started when i was 5. Always trapped in it. I am very scared and terrified now even as I write this. What should I do? I have no more of this now as I am in different place, but what should I do... ask for divination , do pujas? If I do this, will it like make it come back? I’m so scared now .
Real talk: when you stop reading spooky stuff on the internet, or watching scary movies, or anything else that spikes your flight or fight response, it will subside. Fear is habit.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Don't do the practice. It has mantra in it which require transmission.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Taking refuge and metta meditation can take you a long way, especially compared to some random sadhana from the internet you do not even have empowerment to practice. Study sutras a bit, they are worth it and you can use the dharanis.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Ogaf

Post by Ogaf »

I am quite jealous of you, Matthew. Your home of Singapore contains what is probably the highest concentration of Buddhist temples, monasteries and centers of multiple traditions on the planet, with many great teachers either living there or passing through on a regular basis. Between that and the internet I imagine its like being a kid in a candy shop, not knowing what to pick and choose.
I felt the same when I first got into Buddhism and eventually decided that the best thing was to start with the fundamental theories and practice, i.e. the Four Noble Truths, the Eightfold Path, mindfulness meditation etc. Perhaps doing the same would be of benefit to you? Despite having more interest in the Tibetan forms, I ended up sticking with Theravada for around six years before then starting to practice Tibetan Buddhism.
There is a good Theravadin monk in Singapore and a few more that visit there that I know of, if you would consider starting there? They will be able to assist you with learning the foundational stuff and then perhaps the FPMT would be a good step afterwards. I'm sure everyone here will be willing to advise you regarding which teachers are decent ones and which ones are best avoided whenever you feel like checking out different ones.
The monk I mentioned:
https://www.bhantedhammika.net/about

Two book suggestions (both of which can be found online):
'What the Buddha Taught' By Walpola Rahula
'The Noble Eightfold Path' by Bhikkhu Bodhi

O
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Miroku wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:00 pm Taking refuge and metta meditation can take you a long way, especially compared to some random sadhana from the internet you do not even have empowerment to practice. Study sutras a bit, they are worth it and you can use the dharanis.
Vajra claws / Dorje Dermo is a Dharani.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

amanitamusc wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:37 pm
Miroku wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:00 pm Taking refuge and metta meditation can take you a long way, especially compared to some random sadhana from the internet you do not even have empowerment to practice. Study sutras a bit, they are worth it and you can use the dharanis.
Oh sorry for my mistake.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Ogaf wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:12 pm I felt the same when I first got into Buddhism and eventually decided that the best thing was to start with the fundamental theories and practice, i.e. the Four Noble Truths, the Eightfold Path, mindfulness meditation etc. Perhaps doing the same would be of benefit to you? ...
This is excellent advice for all newcomers to the Vajrayana.

I started out in the Zen school. In the very first dharma teaching I attended, the teacher started by saying something like, “I’m sure a lot of you got interested in zen because you heard crazy stories about iconoclastic teachers doing dramatic and mystical things, people shouting Mu, fingers pointing at the moon, sermons delivered by holding up a flower and so on. It’s important to remember that there is no Zen without Buddhism. Zen is simply a training method within the Buddhadharma. Take out the basic buddhadharma and all you’re left with is incomprehensible nonsense”. He then went on to teach the kalama sutra, appropriately enough.

There is a great danger in doing something analogous with the vajrayana.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Yes, but the practice they linked to has mantra in it too.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Grigoris wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:56 am
It also has commitments and advice on restriction of sharing (p.14).

amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Mantrik wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:27 am
Grigoris wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:56 am

It is a Dharani.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

MatthewAngby wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:16 pm
Again:
''You should establish a relationship with a deity, perform their mantra until you have some signs of making it work, and develop deep trust. Then if you are scared, a single shouted syllable may work better than reading aloud 100 pages of something you are unfamilair with.''

Start with the Guru and choice of practice. The rest will come. You really won't get anywhere grabbing things off the web in desperation.

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

amanitamusc wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:33 am
Mantrik wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:27 am
Grigoris wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:56 am Yes, but the practice they linked to has mantra in it too.
It is a Dharani.
Really? I guess that having referred to page 14 of it I may just have grasped that. ;)
That guidance is important.

The FPMT make many things available on the web. It does not mean that they are to be freely used by someone with no connection either with them or with the practice.

MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

Okay thanks for the info guys. Can I request moderators to take this down too , thanks! I Guess this is not to be shared?
philji

Post by philji »

Matthew, many of your questions relate to using vajrayana methods to resolve issues or clear obstacles. Vajrayana has so many methods but most teachers recommend that we lay a foundation of understanding through learning, contemplating first. I would receommend you seek advice from a teacher. I believe that you recently received teachings/ empowerments from Phakchok Rinpoche. A very good Lama connected with Rinpoche is Tulku Migmar who will be back there again soon i believe. Seek out an interview with him, he is very helpful and easy to communicate with.
liuzg150181

Post by liuzg150181 »

philji wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:30 am Matthew, many of your questions relate to using vajrayana methods to resolve issues or clear obstacles. Vajrayana has so many methods but most teachers recommend that we lay a foundation of understanding through learning, contemplating first. I would receommend you seek advice from a teacher. I believe that you recently received teachings/ empowerments from Phakchok Rinpoche. A very good Lama connected with Rinpoche is Tulku Migmar who will be back there again soon i believe. Seek out an interview with him, he is very helpful and easy to communicate with.
:good:
Also you may join in dharma stream of Phachok Rinpoches grp for better foundation.
Without foundations such as refuge, boddhicitta and understanding of emptiness, vajrayana is useless.Or worse still, harmful.
Last edited by liuzg150181 on Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

philji wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:30 am Matthew, many of your questions relate to using vajrayana methods to resolve issues or clear obstacles. Vajrayana has so many methods but most teachers recommend that we lay a foundation of understanding through learning, contemplating first. I would receommend you seek advice from a teacher. I believe that you recently received teachings/ empowerments from Phakchok Rinpoche. A very good Lama connected with Rinpoche is Tulku Migmar who will be back there again soon i believe. Seek out an interview with him, he is very helpful and easy to communicate with.
lay a foundation of understanding and through contemplating? I will be going to a dharma course after the chinese new year, which they teach lam-rim i think. yes i will be going to meet him tmr if circumstances are in my favor. However, as you said i should lay a foundation - so what should i ask him regarding this? thanks :)!

Return to “Nyingma”