An Instruction book Dudjom Tersar Ngöndro practice

Dharmasherab

An Instruction book Dudjom Tersar Ngöndro practice

Post by Dharmasherab »

I am looking for a book (or books) which give inststructions with commentary on the Dudjom Tersar Ngondro.

Just like the 'Words of my Perfect Teacher' by Patrul Rinpoche gives an explanation for the Longchen Nyingtik is there any equivalent for the Dudjom Tersar Ngondro?

(I have had transmission and permission to do the Dudjom Tersar Ngondro from one of my Lamas)
“When one does not understand death, life can be very confusing.” - Ajahn Chah
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Re: An Instruction book Dudjom Tersar Ngöndro practice

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

I think that if you search the internet there should be plenty materials like this one https://dudjomtersarngondro.com/downloa ... downloads/.

I'd suggest you to follow your lamas intructions if he gave you or ask elder students there if they know and can help. It is always bit better to have this kind of support, for example my teacher does a thing or two bit differently than it is in explanation to our ngondro sadhana. But that is just a tip.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Also this seems to be quite good. http://www.turtlehill.org/khen/tersar.pdf
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
heart

Post by heart »

Dharmasherab wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:41 pm I am looking for a book (or books) which give inststructions with commentary on the Dudjom Tersar Ngondro.

Just like the 'Words of my Perfect Teacher' by Patrul Rinpoche gives an explanation for the Longchen Nyingtik is there any equivalent for the Dudjom Tersar Ngondro?

(I have had transmission and permission to do the Dudjom Tersar Ngondro from one of my Lamas)
https://www.amazon.com/Torch-Lighting-W ... m+rinpoche

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Thinley Norbu Rinpoche's "A Cascading Waterfall of Nectar" is worth looking at, although it's not exactly an instruction book.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
chimechodra

Post by chimechodra »

Which ngondro, the short or long one? Tersar.org used to have instructions from H.H. Shenphen Dawa Rinpoche on the short Dudjom Tersar Ngondro available, although they are currently not online for some reason. You could try reaching out to them at the following link: http://www.tersar.org/contact/

In addition, I would first check with your lama and see if they can provide instructions. It is best not to mix tri for a specific practice, and the instructions I received from Shenphen Rinpoche vary from some of the other instructional books in significant ways (visualizations, etc.).
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

Fabulous links guys, thanks.

But to the OP: watch out for a slip I made recently. There is more than one DT ngondro. Khandro Tugtik is different in detail from Khandro Nyingtig. The latter is described in "Torch Lighting the Way..."

So the more general material is indeed generally useful, but the visualization details vary. It's not really a problem unless, like I did for a while, you fail to realize that there is more than one.
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Lingpupa wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:27 pmIt's not really a problem unless, like I did for a while, you fail to realize that there is more than one.
I am sure the Field of Merit didn't mind.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

dzogchungpa wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:27 pm Thinley Norbu Rinpoche's "A Cascading Waterfall of Nectar" is worth looking at, although it's not exactly an instruction book.
I second this ^. Also, my gurus Khenchen Palden Sherab Rinpoche & Khenpo Tsewang Dongyal Rinpoche wrote a great, easily digestible book on it called Illuminating the Path.
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman

Return to “Nyingma”