Looking for Dzogchen Semde material

Dharmasagara

Looking for Dzogchen Semde material

Post by Dharmasagara »

A question to all in the know:

In my quest for getting some idea about the system(s) of Dzogchen presentation I am finding out that knowledge on mind class (semde, sems lde) is quite hard to come by. All the world talks about the instruction class - threkchö and thögal - but the mind class is seems forgotten. Due to some remarks here and there I even suspect that in the Nyingmapa tradition as a whole there is not so much left in active practice.
To make it short: If there is some good presentations of the mind class path out there could you please give me some hint where to look for?

Thanks so much in advance!
Sagara
Malcolm

Re: Looking for Dzogchen Semde material

Post by Malcolm »

Dharmasagara wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:14 pm A question to all in the know:

In my quest for getting some idea about the system(s) of Dzogchen presentation I am finding out that knowledge on mind class (semde, sems lde) is quite hard to come by. All the world talks about the instruction class - threkchö and thögal - but the mind class is seems forgotten. Due to some remarks here and there I even suspect that in the Nyingmapa tradition as a whole there is not so much left in active practice.
To make it short: If there is some good presentations of the mind class path out there could you please give me some hint where to look for?

Sagara
Chogyal Namkhai Norbu has extensive materials on sems sde in his SMS program.
Kunzang Tobgyal

Post by Kunzang Tobgyal »

Sagara
Also check out;

Kunjed Gyalpo Series
Ornament of the State of Samantabhadra
Commentary on the All-Creating King
Pure Perfect Presence
Great Perfection of All Phenomena.

Translated by Jim Valby.

Google: Jim Valby Things
florin

Post by florin »

Sagara
Have a look at Supreme Source
Ornament of the state of Samantabadra - a commentary on the above text
Two dzogxhen texts by Jim Valby
Marvellous primordial state
Teachings on Semde by sodogpa
The four contemplations of semde
Dorje Sempa Namkha che
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

My gurus Khenchen Palden Sherab and Khenpo Tsewang Dongyal published a really fantastic called "The Nature of Mind: The Dzogchen instructions of Aro Yeshe Jungne", which is their commentary on Patrul Rinpoche's commentary on Aro Yeshe Jungne's Sem de teachings. It breaks down instructions on the nine levels of Dzogchen practitioners' capacity. IOW, high, middling, and lower capacity, with each of those further divided, i.e. high high, middle high, and low high; high middle, middle middle, and low middle, and so on. It's available in both hard copy and as a Kindle book.
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
Lukeinaz

Post by Lukeinaz »

florin wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:54 pm

Sagara
Dorje Sempa Namkha che
Does one need specific lung to read Dorje Sempa, or is DI enough?
florin

Post by florin »

Lukeinaz wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:23 am

Sagara
Dorje Sempa Namkha che
You can read the text just with the DI but is perfect if you can get the reading lung. In an ideal world you would get lungs for all these texts. But is not so easy.
XXIlluminatingVoid72

Post by XXIlluminatingVoid72 »

This came out recently as well.
https://www.namsebangdzo.com/Nature_of_ ... 394499.htm\
It's on amazon too. I believe this would qualify as Semde

If you're in the DC there is this as well https://www.ssi-austria.at/shop/product ... re=english
Lukeinaz

Post by Lukeinaz »

Dowman's text Original purity looks interesting, anybody check it out?
chimechodra

Post by chimechodra »

According to Chogyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche, this is actually a semde text also: You are the Eyes of the World. The title is strange, however.

https://www.amazon.com/You-Are-Eyes-Wor ... 155939367X

I have never read it.
Lukeinaz

Post by Lukeinaz »

chimechodra wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:22 pm According to Chogyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche, this is actually a semde text also: You are the Eyes of the World. The title is strange, however.

I have never read it.

this is really good too:

https://shop.shangshunguk.org/product/o ... ious-ship/
heart

Post by heart »

Lukeinaz wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:13 pm
chimechodra wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:22 pm According to Chogyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche, this is actually a semde text also: You are the Eyes of the World. The title is strange, however.

I have never read it.

this is really good too:

https://shop.shangshunguk.org/product/o ... ious-ship/
This is a commentary to "You Are Eyes World". The Tibetan title of "You Are Eyes World" is actually "Precious Ship", and yes it is a Semde text.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Sagara
There is also the Fivefold Teaching of Dawa Gyaltsen taught by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche.

Kevin
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

florin wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:01 am
Lukeinaz wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:23 am

Dorje Sempa Namkha che
You can read the text just with the DI but is perfect if you can get the reading lung. In an ideal world you would get lungs for all these texts. But is not so easy.
ChNNR gave a 10 day retreat in 2006 on Dorje Sempa Namkha che.
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

Virgo wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:00 am

Sagara
There is also the Fivefold Teaching of Dawa Gyaltsen taught by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche.

Kevin
Is that a semde teaching?
That is one of my favorite teachings for day-to-day contemplation. "Awakening the Luminous Mind" goes into it in depth and has an audio guided meditation that comes with it.
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

climb-up wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:35 pm
Virgo wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:00 am Is that a semde teaching?
That is one of my favorite teachings for day-to-day contemplation. "Awakening the Luminous Mind" goes into it in depth and has an audio guided meditation that comes with it.
Hi, I am not sure if they classify that way in Bon, but I think it could be considered semde.

Kevin

Return to “Nyingma”