Whose tulku is Tarthang Tulku?

pema tsultrim

Whose tulku is Tarthang Tulku?

Post by pema tsultrim »

I am just curious. I haven't found any reference to the incarnation line of Tarthang Tulku. Does anyone know?

-PT
passel

Re: Whose tulku is Tarthang Tulku?

Post by passel »

No idea how accurate this is, but I remember when Phil something-or-other, Tibetan language teacher @ Naropa was on Buddhist Geeks podcast around 2006 or so, he said that TT just started using Tulku in his name when he started teaching- he asked around a bit to see if somebody would recognize him, but no takers so he just got tired of waiting and went ahead and did it himself.
"I have made a heap of all that I have met"- Svetonious
MiphamFan

Post by MiphamFan »

Not sure about that. I remember reading in a biography of another contemporary lama that Tarthang Tulku already had a monastery in Tibet and used to be quite impatient when he was young. So I think he was recognized in Tibet.

Forgot which lama it was, sorry. Could be Dezhung Rinpoche's biography, or not.

There is a reference to Tarthang Tulku in the bio of Jamyang Khyentse Chokyi Lodro too, visible on Google books.

Edit

Found the reference, it's in Brilliant Moon, Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche's autobiography. DKR merely said that at that time TT was an ordinary monk who used to get angry, but was intelligent. So maybe he wasn't recognized.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Sorry, I don't know/remember Who exactly Tarthang Tulku is a Tulku of. He took the name Tarthang Tulku because He is a Tulku from Tarthang monastery in Golok. This is a very large monastery with a number of different Tulkus. What I was told by my Teachers Who personally knew Tarthang Tulku was that He was enthroned as a Tulku while still in Tibet. However, there was some controversy. (Not going into that, so don't ask.)
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

In the first issue of "Crystal Mirror" there is a short bio of TT, and among other things it says "At an early age, Rinpoche was recognized to be one of the thirty reincarnate Lamas of Tarthang Monastery." There's also some relevant info here:
http://odiyan.org/bkp_odiyan/founder.html
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Return to “Nyingma”