Does poti wang accomplish the same as lung?

Pema Rigdzin

Does poti wang accomplish the same as lung?

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

To be more specific, some time ago I received some Düdjom Tersar empowerments, but either I didn’t know enough back then to recognize the lung being given as well, or maybe it wasn’t? Years later I received the Düdjom Tersar poti wang, so I’m wondering if this is equivalent functionally to receiving the reading transmissions for the Tersar empowerments I received. IOW, will the poti wang make the mantras function for me just like the lung would have?
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
lelopa

Re: Does poti wang accomplish the same as lung?

Post by lelopa »

Pema Rigdzin wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 8:28 am To be more specific, some time ago I received some Düdjom Tersar empowerments, but either I didn’t know enough back then to recognize the lung being given as well, or maybe it wasn’t? Years later I received the Düdjom Tersar poti wang, so I’m wondering if this is equivalent functionally to receiving the reading transmissions for the Tersar empowerments I received. IOW, will the poti wang make the mantras function for me just like the lung would have?
What is a poti wang?!?
Lost In Transmission
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

lelopa wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 5:30 am
Pema Rigdzin wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 8:28 am To be more specific, some time ago I received some Düdjom Tersar empowerments, but either I didn’t know enough back then to recognize the lung being given as well, or maybe it wasn’t? Years later I received the Düdjom Tersar poti wang, so I’m wondering if this is equivalent functionally to receiving the reading transmissions for the Tersar empowerments I received. IOW, will the poti wang make the mantras function for me just like the lung would have?
What is a poti wang?!?
When a lama bumps a text on your head, or there is a table full of tons of texts and you bump your head against it. It's basically a book empowerment.
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

The terms po ti (པོ་ཏི་) and dpe cha (དཔེ་ཆ་) are basically synonymous (both meaning "book, text"). So wouldn't po ti dbang (པོ་ཏི་དབང་) be the same as pe'i dbang (དཔེའི་དབང་)?

I'd love to hear from someone about the tantric theory these are based on, and if there are any distinctions between the two. What are the features of these, and in what contexts are they usually given?

For instance, is such a silent text empowerment given when a public reading transmission is not suitable for all those in attendance? Is it bestowed this way when permission to practice the sadhana has only been requested by a few and not by the whole assembly, prompting the lama to only grant it to those serious enough to ask?

There's obviously something at work here. Surely it's not just a case of the vajra master being outta breath ;)

See:
http://rywiki.tsadra.org/index.php/po_ti
http://rywiki.tsadra.org/index.php/dpe_cha

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
heart

Post by heart »

According to Chökyi Nyima Rinpoche; "poti wang" gives you the same transmission as "lung" but you can't pass it on to someone else.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

:thanks: :thanks: :thanks:
Lost In Transmission
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

heart wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 9:09 am
According to Chökyi Nyima Rinpoche; "poti wang" gives you the same transmission as "lung" but you can't pass it on to someone else.

/magnus
Thanks, Magnus!
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman

Return to “Nyingma”