ceremony for bodhisattva vows

triveni

ceremony for bodhisattva vows

Post by triveni »

I took Refuge a few years ago and am seriously considering taking Bodhisattva vows. Can anyone point me to a credible book or website that explains the ceremony for taking Bodhisattva vows? Is it a lot like the Refuge ceremony? In other words, is it usually done one-on-one with a Lama or in a group? Are there specific protocols that I should know going into it? Is it recommended for people who have no intention to become a monastic but who, after having studied the Shantideva text, feel called to dedicate my practice to all sentient beings? Is our hair cut (other than the small amount in the refuge ceremony)? Is there anything I need to do to prepare for the ceremony? Please forgive me if these are silly questions. I am very much a beginner.
heart

Re: ceremony for bodhisattva vows

Post by heart »

triveni wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:43 am I took Refuge a few years ago and am seriously considering taking Bodhisattva vows. Can anyone point me to a credible book or website that explains the ceremony for taking Bodhisattva vows? Is it a lot like the Refuge ceremony? In other words, is it usually done one-on-one with a Lama or in a group? Are there specific protocols that I should know going into it? Is it recommended for people who have no intention to become a monastic but who, after having studied the Shantideva text, feel called to dedicate my practice to all sentient beings? Is our hair cut (other than the small amount in the refuge ceremony)? Is there anything I need to do to prepare for the ceremony? Please forgive me if these are silly questions. I am very much a beginner.
Yes, there are probably many rituals but it is similar to a refuge ceremony. I have received it twice from my master according to both the tradition of the profound view and the vast conduct.

http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?titl ... sattva_vow

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
WeiHan

Post by WeiHan »

The vows is also received altogether when one attends a major empowerment.
There is also a method mentioned in the Samantabhadra meditation sutra on how to receive the vows by calling to the various Bodhisattvas and Buddhas to witness. I am not sure if that suffice.
Josef

Post by Josef »

"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
triveni

Post by triveni »

Thank you, everyone, for your helpful comments and the informative websites! These answer my question. I have taken bodhisattva vows in the context of a larger empowerment but didn't know if they still required a separate ceremony.

Return to “Nyingma”