Doing Vajrayana practices for the dead of other religions

Pema Rigdzin

Doing Vajrayana practices for the dead of other religions

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

It’s said that when wandering through the bardo, people are somewhat clairvoyant with respect to those they knew in the life they just passed away from. That being the case, then I’m wondering if doing Vajrayana practices on their behalf could unintentionally hurtle them into an unfortunate rebirth if they staunchly adhere to another religion and get upset at what we’re doing. Anyone ever received or come across any teachings on this?
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
Josef

Re: Doing Vajrayana practices for the dead of other religions

Post by Josef »

Pema Rigdzin wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:29 pm It’s said that when wandering through the bardo, people are somewhat clairvoyant with respect to those they knew in the life they just passed away from. That being the case, then I’m wondering if doing Vajrayana practices on their behalf could unintentionally hurtle them into an unfortunate rebirth if they staunchly adhere to another religion and get upset at what we’re doing. Anyone ever received or come across any teachings on this?
Not if what you're doing is fully inspired by bodhicitta.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Josef wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:45 pm
Pema Rigdzin wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:29 pm It’s said that when wandering through the bardo, people are somewhat clairvoyant with respect to those they knew in the life they just passed away from. That being the case, then I’m wondering if doing Vajrayana practices on their behalf could unintentionally hurtle them into an unfortunate rebirth if they staunchly adhere to another religion and get upset at what we’re doing. Anyone ever received or come across any teachings on this?
That is of course the whole point, but what makes you so sure that would be enough to prevent them from becoming freaked out, angry, and/or fearful that they're sinning?
WeiHan

Post by WeiHan »

Pema Rigdzin wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:36 am
That is of course the whole point, but what makes you so sure that would be enough to prevent them from becoming freaked out, angry, and/or fearful that they're sinning?
The practice is definitely beneficial to them if it is done correctly. mostly likely, they experience it as something pleasant and not what is against their wish. That is what I read from people who claimed to have "third eye" opened and can see what is happening. For example, when you do sur offering, all hungry ghosts will experience seeing food instead of perceiving you doing buddhist mantras and prayers.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

if one does it well, there can't be problem. boddhicitta doesn't mean having a nice thought, one must know how to help, how to perform.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Josef

Post by Josef »

Because there is absolutely no guilt, shame, or judgement in bodhicitta.
Bodhicitta is wisdom or the true nature of reality manifesting in thought, word, and deed.
It is limitless and completely beyond the boundaries of religious dogma and social constructs.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Josef wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:10 am

Bodhicitta is wisdom or the true nature of reality manifesting in thought, word, and deed.
It is limitless and completely beyond the boundaries of religious dogma and social constructs.
I'm quite aware of the nature and qualities of bodhichitta, and I’m quite open to prayers on my behalf by non-Buddhists who I know to be well-intentioned, loving, and just doing what they know and how they know to do it. I won’t belief in their refuge’s ability to perform whatver’s been prayed for, but I will appreciate the praying person’s efforts and intentions. But everyone isn’t so open and able to see it like that. If the recipient of my prayers can’t perceive the qualities of bodhichitta and instead has an experience that’s more like, “Ugh, don’t you pray to your heathen gods for me! Pray to Jesus!” That’s what I’m taking about.
Josef

Post by Josef »

Pema Rigdzin wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:53 am

“Ugh, don’t you pray to your heathen gods for me! Pray to Jesus!” That’s what I’m taking about.
I know that's what you're talking about and anyone with real bodhicitta also has the skillful means and wisdom to make sure they arent doing harm.
Bodhicitta is WAY more than compassion.
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

I asked Ngakpa Karma Lhundup Rinpoche about this, and he said to do Chenrezig practice for the dead. In fact there is a special Chenrezig practice in the Choling Tersar which is for those that have passed.

I have also read somewhere, where, I think it might have been Tulku Urgyen who said, Don't go doing special practices for the dead unless you are accomplished in them. This was in regards to advanced practices.
"People are fond of saying all sorts of things about others behind their backs, mentioning their names again and again. Instead of slandering others in this way, “slander” the yidam: utter his name repeatedly by reciting his mantra all the time." - Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche - Zurchungpa’s Testament - Shambhala Publications
WeiHan

Post by WeiHan »

Pema Rigdzin wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:53 am “Ugh, don’t you pray to your heathen gods for me! Pray to Jesus!” That’s what I’m taking about.
That really voice down to what you believe your prayer can achieve. What you believe in? Whether going to heaven will be good for him in the long term? Here I assume you are refering to a person who has already died and is in his bardo state, not someone who is terminally ill and has not yet died.
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Josef wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:56 pm

“Ugh, don’t you pray to your heathen gods for me! Pray to Jesus!” That’s what I’m taking about.
I know that's what you're talking about and anyone with real bodhicitta also has the skillful means and wisdom to make sure they arent doing harm.
Again, I am intimately familiar with what bodhichitta is. Truly, bodhichitta is the natural state with all its qualities. The issue isn't what bodhichitta is and can do, but one of receptivity and conditioning on the bardo being's part, ie how fearful and closed off they are to it. Bodhichitta may appear in the aspect of either Samantabhadra or Yama to a bardo being, depending on their obscurations. Buddha Shakyamuni was viewed as an ordinary sentient being riddled with faults by those with obscurations that caused that perception. To put my original question in a concrete context, since I lack the accomplishment of someone like our guru, Norbu Rinpoche, for instance, my habit has been to unify all my gurus in the form of, say, Guru Rinpoche, according to the guru yoga principle, and pray that he appear to the bardo being, bless them and dissolve into them, and help guide them to a fortunate rebirth. I also of course do my normal practice, and then when dedicating the merit, dedicate it in particular to said bardo being(s) for their precious human rebirth and total realization, and in general to all sentient for theirs. But then it occurred to me that if a bardo being is connected closely enough to me to perceive the mental image of Guru Rinpoche in my mind and be put off by it, would that cause problems. Maybe, as you say, they will feel the bodhichitta and that will be powerful enough to overcome their conditioning and penetrate to the core of them. I absolutely hope so.
Josef

Post by Josef »

Pema Rigdzin wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:21 pm
Josef wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:56 pm
Again, I am intimately familiar with what bodhichitta is. Truly, bodhichitta is the natural state with all its qualities. The issue isn't what bodhichitta is and can do, but one of receptivity and conditioning on the bardo being's part, ie how fearful and closed off they are to it. Bodhichitta may appear in the aspect of either Samantabhadra or Yama to a bardo being, depending on their obscurations. Buddha Shakyamuni was viewed as an ordinary sentient being riddled with faults by those with obscurations that caused that perception. To put my original question in a concrete context, since I lack the accomplishment of someone like our guru, Norbu Rinpoche, for instance, my habit has been to unify all my gurus in the form of, say, Guru Rinpoche, according to the guru yoga principle, and pray that he appear to the bardo being, bless them and dissolve into them, and help guide them to a fortunate rebirth. I also of course do my normal practice, and then when dedicating the merit, dedicate it in particular to said bardo being(s) for their precious human rebirth and total realization, and in general to all sentient for theirs. But then it occurred to me that if a bardo being is connected closely enough to me to perceive the mental image of Guru Rinpoche in my mind and be put off by it, would that cause problems. Maybe, as you say, they will feel the bodhichitta and that will be powerful enough to overcome their conditioning and penetrate to the core of them. I absolutely hope so.
By practicing bodhicitta skillfully and according to their needs bardo beings wont be disturbed by your practices.
If we practice for others and actually do so with true bodhicitta they will never even encounter the limitations or hesitations of religious dogmas.
Visualizing buddhas etc. could potentially cause aversion, adopting skill in means and bodhicitta eliminates that issue. Visualizing Guru Rinpoche appearing before your devoted Christian aunt (for example) is a very limited application of bodhicitta. Dedicating all of ones merits to her and visualizing the sambhogakaya appearing as Jesus might be far more skillful.

Return to “Nyingma”