Is it unhelpful to start practicing dhyana if i'm already involved with tantra?

SonamGyatso

Is it unhelpful to start practicing dhyana if i'm already involved with tantra?

Post by SonamGyatso »

When I am able to still my mind with single-pointed attention, I feel fantastic. I don't much doubt that practicing this way helps develop the faculties needed for attainment.

I still don't really get much of what I'm doing with tantra. My mind continues to adapt to the Dharma through doing this practice, but I don't know why.

I want to keep doing what my Lama instructs me to do, but also I want to do dhyana as described in the tipitaka. I am okay with doing them both
Motova

Re: Is it unhelpful to start practicing dhyana if i'm already involved with tantra?

Post by Motova »

Connect them with metta and the four immeasurables.
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Is it unhelpful to start practicing dhyana if i'm already involved with tantra?

Post by Grigoris »

SonamGyatso wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:50 pmI am okay with doing them both.
You should be. They are complementary, not mutually exclusive.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
fckw

Post by fckw »

Every tantric practice requires some - at least basic - familiarity with dhyana, some of them require even rather deep levels of concentration. Guru yoga in itself is a form of concentration practice, although it's more dynamic and not as static than single-pointed focus on one point. In fact, doing a little bit of concentration meditation before you start doing any tantric meditation is a pretty good thing as it anchors and calms the mind and makes subsequent meditation much more easy.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Go for it. As already mentioned it can only help. I for example am thinking about meditating together with local zennies, because due to their skill in meditation they are more prepared for tantra than most "tantric" practitioners I know. :D
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
TrimePema

Post by TrimePema »

I think it's really great that you noticed that you should develop more concentration and mindfulness and I think only good things will come. I like what was said earlier about connecting metta and 4 immeasurables. IMO, generating bodhichitta will increase the effectiveness of your practices, no matter what tradition or scope they initially come from or "require".

In other words, and to answer your question, DEFINITELY HELPFUL (and even more so if you generate bodhichitta before practicing).

Enjoy!

Return to “Nyingma”