Alternative to possibly toxic metal kapalas

Pema Rigdzin

Alternative to possibly toxic metal kapalas

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

I'm concerned that commercially available metal kapalas are not food-grade and so they may leach toxins into the amrita to be taken during the "taking the accomplishments" section of the sadhana. Has anyone else who's doing more elaborate sadhana practice had any thoughts about this and come up with a solution? I'm wondering if there's any reason I couldn't just use a small, short jar in place of a kapala. My lama is away and incommunicado for a short time, so I'll have to wait a bit to ask him. So for now, anyone have any thoughts on this?
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Alternative to possibly toxic metal kapalas

Post by Grigoris »

A skull without a metal lining.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
aussiebloke

Post by aussiebloke »

You can always coat the metal kapala with melted wax , as way to avoid contacting the liquid to the metal .
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

I had this problem - the taste told me there was something wrong. So I painted the inside with polyeurethane varnish. Even a few years later the new bad taste was disgusting. It was OK after about 20 years. (Not exaggerating.)

Think before painting, that was my lesson that I pass on to you now!
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

You can also use a nice crystal bowl, or even a plastic cup as a support since ultimately it is all about mind...

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Kris

Post by Kris »

I'm using a small mason jar while I'm saving up for a real bone kapala.
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Possible to use alternative vessels, but there are some good ceramic kapalas available now, which would be less 'chemical' than a resin one, for example.

With a real kapala, source is important. I wouldn't want to be using one from a grave-robbing, executed criminal, etc. Same with all the bone implements as far as I'm concerned.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
aussiebloke

Post by aussiebloke »

Another approach is to place a small vessel of ceramic or glass in it and fill the kapala with rice to hold it in place .
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Pema Rigdzin wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:01 am I'm concerned that commercially available metal kapalas are not food-grade and so they may leach toxins into the amrita to be taken during the "taking the accomplishments" section of the sadhana. Has anyone else who's doing more elaborate sadhana practice had any thoughts about this and come up with a solution? I'm wondering if there's any reason I couldn't just use a small, short jar in place of a kapala. My lama is away and incommunicado for a short time, so I'll have to wait a bit to ask him. So for now, anyone have any thoughts on this?
Use a glass tea light insert.
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

aussiebloke wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:28 pm Another approach is to place a small vessel of ceramic or glass in it and fill the kapala with rice to hold it in place .
Shortly after I posted this, this occurred as a possible option. Great minds think alike! Thanks for your input.
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:43 pm
Pema Rigdzin wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:01 am I'm concerned that commercially available metal kapalas are not food-grade and so they may leach toxins into the amrita to be taken during the "taking the accomplishments" section of the sadhana. Has anyone else who's doing more elaborate sadhana practice had any thoughts about this and come up with a solution? I'm wondering if there's any reason I couldn't just use a small, short jar in place of a kapala. My lama is away and incommunicado for a short time, so I'll have to wait a bit to ask him. So for now, anyone have any thoughts on this?
Use a glass tea light insert.
In that case, I think a small mason jar (about 2 inches high, 2 inches wide) should do the trick. And it has a lid to keep the Amrita from evaporating, or spilling if I bump my little puja table.
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Thanks for the input, guys!
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

In our community everybody uses those small bottles which one can buy in a pharmacy.
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Ayu wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:15 pm In our community everybody uses those small bottles which one can buy in a pharmacy.
Not sure what you're referring to, Ayu. Could you post a picture of what you mean?
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Pema Rigdzin wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:29 pm
Ayu wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:15 pm In our community everybody uses those small bottles which one can buy in a pharmacy.
Not sure what you're referring to, Ayu. Could you post a picture of what you mean?

Looks like this, but one imagines it's a skull.

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

It's a common practice these days to put a ceramic bowl or glass jar inside a kapala, even lined ones. Nevertheless and even in that case, the kapala is an important part of the sadhana and definitely has an effect on the outcome. Yes, you can do without it, but better if you use one. My Teacher was quite specific about this. Even the type of kapala (shape, color, lines, male, female, etc.) is important in terms of quickness of outcomes. There are Lamas who are expert in choosing kapalas. In addition, there are tests to determine if a given kapala is "right" for a given practitioner.

The fact that these kinds of samaya substances and "ingredients" are becoming harder and harder to source is just part of the degeneration of the Kali Yuga. According to my Teacher, getting the right implements and accessories is an expression of the practice of the paramita of tsondru (perseverance). Some practitioners (including high Lamas) spend many years and lots of money accumulating all the right equipment for certain Vajrayana practices. We are talking about ceremonial magic after all.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Lingpupa wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:44 am I had this problem - the taste told me there was something wrong. So I painted the inside with polyeurethane varnish. Even a few years later the new bad taste was disgusting. It was OK after about 20 years. (Not exaggerating.)

Think before painting, that was my lesson that I pass on to you now!
If you are going to paint, it is better to use enamel paint, like that used on stove tops.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

pemachophel wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:45 pm It's a common practice these days to put a ceramic bowl or glass jar inside a kapala, even lined ones. Nevertheless and even in that case, the kapala is an important part of the sadhana and definitely has an effect on the outcome. Yes, you can do without it, but better if you use one. My Teacher was quite specific about this. Even the type of kapala (shape, color, lines, male, female, etc.) is important in terms of quickness of outcomes. There are Lamas who are expert in choosing kapalas. In addition, there are tests to determine if a given kapala is "right" for a given practitioner.

The fact that these kinds of samaya substances and "ingredients" are becoming harder and harder to source is just part of the degeneration of the Kali Yuga. According to my Teacher, getting the right implements and accessories is an expression of the practice of the paramita of tsondru (perseverance). Some practitioners (including high Lamas) spend many years and lots of money accumulating all the right equipment for certain Vajrayana practices. We are talking about ceremonial magic after all.
Does your teacher recommend using a metal-lined kapala or an unlined one?

Aghori, for example, just use a plain skull cap. Doing away with the possibility of ingesting toxic metals, although I don't belive it is much of an issue for them.... :tongue:
aghori 1.jpg
aghori 1.jpg (60.02 KiB) Viewed 3351 times
aghori 2.png
aghori 2.png (179.86 KiB) Viewed 3351 times

Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Anything from human bones is illegal in Germany, AFAIK. We are only allowed to burry or cremate human bones - or to use them for science with certain permission.

But anyhow, thank you @all for this thread. I wasn't informed yet about this, but that dosn't mean anything 'cause I'm an absolute beginner and in addition I do not understand much.
Now I'm inspired to draw a skull and patch it on my little bottle. I think, that's nice.
They also sell nice little metal bowls with ornaments, but I wasn't attracted to buy such.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Ayu wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:07 am Anything from human bones is illegal in Germany, AFAIK. We are only allowed to burry or cremate human bones - or to use them for science with certain permission.

But anyhow, thank you @all for this thread. I wasn't informed yet about this, but that dosn't mean anything 'cause I'm an absolute beginner and in addition I do not understand much.
Now I'm inspired to draw a skull and patch it on my little bottle. I think, that's nice.
They also sell nice little metal bowls with ornaments, but I wasn't attracted to buy such.
I made a kapala once using copper sheet. It is quite easy. I just used a rounded skull sized rock to beat the copper sheet over and then I painted the outside with white enamel paint and left the inside copper red. Copper actually purifies anything placed in it, that is why saddhu urns and ayurvedic cups are made from it.
kapala.png
kapala.png (222.67 KiB) Viewed 3320 times

Return to “Nyingma”