Mipham Rinpoche's termas

Pema Rigdzin

Mipham Rinpoche's termas

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Anyone know the name and contents of Mipham Rinpoche's terma cycle? The nature of it, ie Sa ter or gong ter, etc?
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
Josef

Re: Mipham Rinpoche's termas

Post by Josef »

Pema Rigdzin wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:25 pm Anyone know the name and contents of Mipham Rinpoche's terma cycle? The nature of it, ie Sa ter or gong ter, etc?
Mipham was more of a pure vision composer of liturgical texts than a terton.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Sonam Wangchug

Post by Sonam Wangchug »

Although he did not necessarily advertise it as such, some of his spontaneously arising writings were in fact Gong ter (Mind terma).

Although various other Tertons have Terma concerning King Gesar, Ju Mipham rinpoche was the main revealer of Mind terma based on King Gesar.
"To have confidence in the teacher is the ultimate refuge." -Rigzin Jigme Lingpa
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Yeah, I knew he’d revealed mind terma at least, because I’ve received three of his empowerments for them. I was wondering if all he revealed were mind terma, and either way, how many and what were they? I’ve always felt drawn to Mipham, probably in no small part because my late guru, Khenchen Palden Sherab, had so much devotion to him and his works. I’m curious what other empowerments he revealed beyond Manjushri, Gesar, and Vajrapani.
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Guess I should've started my search in my own lamas' book store. I forgot about the White Tara and Saraswati sadhanas. I'm wondering what other sadhanas there are, aside from the Shower of Blessings and Buddha Shakyamuni sadhanas, as I'm thinking more of maha-/anuyoga sadhanas here.
dzoki

Post by dzoki »

Mipham Rinpoche was not a terton, he was supposed to reveal termas but he refused to. He even wrote a text where he criticizes tertons of his time for wrting anything that comes to their mind and presenting that as a terma. He opined that old termas such as those of Guru Chowang and Nyangral Nyima Ozer are sufficient and there is no need to reveal anything else. I know some present day teachers, probably out of their devotion, claim that Mipham Rinpoche´s texts are terma, but they are not, also I am sure, he himself would refuse such notion.

Mipham Rinpoche wrote many sadhanas, for example sadhana of Kurukulle, Marichi, Kalachakra, Vajrakila, Samajavajra, Prajnyaparamita, Mahamayuri, etc. Basically, as I understand - whatever deities are mentioned in Mipham Rinpoche's Chamo (phwya mo) of Manjusrhi Arapachana, which was published under English title: "Mo: Tibetan Divination System", he wrote a sadhana of those.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

dzoki wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:19 am Mipham Rinpoche was not a terton, he was supposed to reveal termas but he refused to.
This is debatable. Some of his Gesar texts are written under the name, "Bse ru 'Od ldan dkar po," the White Luminous Rhinoceros, and bear gter shad. I am not referring the earlier Gesar terma that is included in Mipham's Gesar cycle, the rDo rje Tshe rgyal cycle.

Many lamas consider all of his writings to be terma, similar to Longchenpa.
Kris

Post by Kris »

dzoki wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:19 am ...He opined that old termas such as those of Guru Chowang and Nyangral Nyima Ozer are sufficient and there is no need to reveal anything else.
Any idea why he held this opinion?
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Sennin wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:15 pm
dzoki wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:19 am ...He opined that old termas such as those of Guru Chowang and Nyangral Nyima Ozer are sufficient and there is no need to reveal anything else.
He probably saw the pitfalls of ever new termas.
Sonam Wangchug

Post by Sonam Wangchug »

Arnoud wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:25 pm
Since when is the warm breath of the Dakinis a pitfall?
"To have confidence in the teacher is the ultimate refuge." -Rigzin Jigme Lingpa
Josef

Post by Josef »

I dont think it was about pitfalls. More likely Mipham was giving reverence and homage to the earlier revelations that clearly have enough to keep sincere practitioners satisfied and lead to liberation.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Sonam Wangchug wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:41 am
Since when is the warm breath of the Dakinis a pitfall?
Having received the Dojo Bumzang from HH Taklung Tsetrul Rinpoche I would say the breath is still plenty warm on the old termas. I do practice a new terma but that doesn't mean there are no problems with ever new termas.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Josef wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:53 am
I dont think it was about pitfalls. More likely Mipham was giving reverence and homage to the earlier revelations that clearly have enough to keep sincere practitioners satisfied and lead to liberation.
I think Mipham was going off on people's taste for novelty. His root guru, Khyentse Wangpo, revealed several volumes of new treasures, as we all know.
Josef

Post by Josef »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:57 pm
Josef wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:53 am

I think Mipham was going off on people's taste for novelty. His root guru, Khyentse Wangpo, revealed several volumes of new treasures, as we all know.
I agree. Novelty and possibly a sense of redundant proliferation?

Return to “Nyingma”