Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Pema Yolo

Re: empowerment for Dudjom Tersar Ngondro

Post by Pema Yolo »

Just a lung is what is typically given by every Dudjom lama I've seen.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

A Vajrasattva empowerment wouldn't go astray.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
SonamGyatso

Post by SonamGyatso »

My Lama has said that no empowerment is needed for the Ngondro we practice, which is the Dudjom Tersar Ngondro
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:18 am Is one needed, or just a lung?
Just a lung.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

SonamGyatso wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:37 am My Lama has said that no empowerment is needed for the Ngondro we practice, which is the Dudjom Tersar Ngondro
When I asked at Saraha, a few people said I could practice it with no anything. But then others say one needs the lung. I suspect it was one of those "get it when you can but you can practice without it if you can't" type things...but I would rather just have the lung.

I had an opportunity to get it online recently, but had to work, anyone know of any other opportunities coming up to receive it?

-Khunu Lama
Kris

Post by Kris »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:08 pm
SonamGyatso wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:37 am My Lama has said that no empowerment is needed for the Ngondro we practice, which is the Dudjom Tersar Ngondro
When I asked at Saraha, a few people said I could practice it with no anything. But then others say one needs the lung. I suspect it was one of those "get it when you can but you can practice without it if you can't" type things...but I would rather just have the lung.

I had an opportunity to get it online recently, but had to work, anyone know of any other opportunities coming up to receive it?
IIRC they're offering it again online, unless it has already happened.
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Terma

Post by Terma »

Do you live close enough to a Lama that practices in this particular lineage or are you able to make contact with one in order to request the lung? I would imagine that it shouldn't be too difficult to get this lung. Good luck!
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Terma wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:18 pm

Do you live close enough to a Lama that practices in this particular lineage or are you able to make contact with one in order to request the lung? I would imagine that it shouldn't be too difficult to get this lung. Good luck!

I make it to Saraha periodically, but I am not sure if it is given out there often, I don't think there's anyone near me who would give it. Seems like my best best is the Dudjom Tersar site, it does seem that Lama Sonam gives it our periodically.

-Khunu Lama
heart

Post by heart »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:33 am

I make it to Saraha periodically, but I am not sure if it is given out there often, I don't think there's anyone near me who would give it. Seems like my best best is the Dudjom Tersar site, it does seem that Lama Sonam gives it our periodically.
The best way is to request the lung yourself with a kata and an offering. Makes it auspicious.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:33 amI make it to Saraha periodically, but I am not sure if it is given out there often, I don't think there's anyone near me who would give it. Seems like my best best is the Dudjom Tersar site, it does seem that Lama Sonam gives it our periodically.
If you request the lung for the concise version, it will take the lama about 2 minutes.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:33 am

Maybe they could give it to you over the phone? As Greg says, it is but a minute or two.
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Off topic discussion moved here.

Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Hi Johnny D, I’d also look into Tashi Choling in Ashland OR
or Dorje Ling in Portland. They are both Dudjom tersar centers also. If you could receive the lung from Sangye Khandro, that would be fortunate... there would likely be other Lamas in residence or visiting from time to time. Worth contacting them.. I think Tashi Choling is shut down now for the winter season though. In general, if possible I tend to prefer lungs in person—and as was mentioned—with the temdrel of making an offering with katak, etc. per custom.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

The short Dudjom Tersar ngon-dro is wonderful. Kyabje Dudjom Rinpoche was Guru Rinpoche's regent in this time. (some say Guru Rinpoche Himself.) There have been many great Lamas in the last 100 years, but Dudjom Rinpoche is most definitely one of the very greatest. So if you have any inclination of doing this ngon-dro, I highly encourage you to do it. My wife did it when she was 68-69. So never too late.

I would also second the opinion of getting it in person as opposed to over the phone. If you had to get it over the phone, at least make a promise to yourself to get it in person when you get chance.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

pemachophel wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:33 pm The short Dudjom Tersar ngon-dro is wonderful. Kyabje Dudjom Rinpoche was Guru Rinpoche's regent in this time. (some say Guru Rinpoche Himself.) There have been many great Lamas in the last 100 years, but Dudjom Rinpoche is most definitely one of the very greatest. So if you have any inclination of doing this ngon-dro, I highly encourage you to do it. My wife did it when she was 68-69. So never too late.

I would also second the opinion of getting it in person as opposed to over the phone. If you had to get it over the phone, at least make a promise to yourself to get it in person when you get chance.
The short ngondro actually is from the Troma cycle of Dudjom Lingpa.
ThreeVows

Post by ThreeVows »

pemachophel wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:33 pm The short Dudjom Tersar ngon-dro is wonderful. Kyabje Dudjom Rinpoche was Guru Rinpoche's regent in this time. (some say Guru Rinpoche Himself.) There have been many great Lamas in the last 100 years, but Dudjom Rinpoche is most definitely one of the very greatest. So if you have any inclination of doing this ngon-dro, I highly encourage you to do it. My wife did it when she was 68-69. So never too late.

How do you know who the ‘regent’ is/was?
“Whoever wants to find the wisdom beyond intellect without praying to his guru is like someone waiting for the sun to shine in a cave facing the north. He will never realize appearances and his mind to be one.”
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
TrimePema

Post by TrimePema »

Seeker12 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:47 am

say the 7 lines with devotion and see what happens
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

TrimePema wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:28 amsay the 7 lines with devotion and see what happens
100,000 times will do the trick!

ThreeVows

Post by ThreeVows »

TrimePema wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:28 am
Seeker12 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:47 am

say the 7 lines with devotion and see what happens
Thanks, I was wondering if this was something that was due to personal insight or whether it was some sort of 'formally acknowledged' thing by an 'authority'.
“Whoever wants to find the wisdom beyond intellect without praying to his guru is like someone waiting for the sun to shine in a cave facing the north. He will never realize appearances and his mind to be one.”
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche

Return to “Nyingma”