Khorwa Dongtruk in the Nyingma Kahma

Yeti

Khorwa Dongtruk in the Nyingma Kahma

Post by Yeti »

Reading Nyoshul Khenpo's - A Marvelous Garland of Rare Gems, I came across this reference to the Khorwa Dongtruk in the Nyingma Kahma. Does anyone know if this sadhana (from the Kahma) has been translated? And if so, where, if possible?
Later, Paltrul Rinpoche spent five years near the precious, enshrined remains of Jigme Gyalwai Nyugu, continually performing an intensive sadhana ritual of the deity Khorwa Dongtruk, which derives from the kama transmissions. He thus lived for eighty years as a glorious protector of all the teachings and all beings, bringing his deeds and activities to completion.
"People are fond of saying all sorts of things about others behind their backs, mentioning their names again and again. Instead of slandering others in this way, “slander” the yidam: utter his name repeatedly by reciting his mantra all the time." - Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche - Zurchungpa’s Testament - Shambhala Publications
dzoki

Re: Khorwa Dongtruk in the Nyingma Kahma

Post by dzoki »

This could mean many things. One thing is Khorwa Tongtrug as a specific form of red Avalokiteshvara, another thing is Khorwa Tongtrug as a term used in inner tantras. There is no practice of Khorwa Tongtrug in Nyingma Kama (Kama gyepa collection) - at least not in the one put together by Dudjom Rinpoche.

Kama transmissions just means oral lineage, so it could very well be just "regular" white four armed Avalokiteshvara as found in Karma Chagme's collected works - which contains one such sadhana called Recitation and meditation of Avalokiteshvara - Shaking the samsara from the depths, (Tibetan title is: thugs rje chen po'i sgom bzlas 'khor ba dong sprugs). Patrul Rinpoche was dedicated practitioner of Avalokiteshvara and wrote a famous text called Advice virtuous at the beginning, in the middle and at the end (thog mtha' bar gsum du dge ba'i gtam) which has very similar content to Karma Chagme's Union of Dzogchen and Mahamudra. Both of these texts are focused on 4 armed white Avalokitshvara, so my speculation here is that this is what was meant by Khorwa Tongtrug derived from kama transmissions.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

dzoki wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:48 am This could mean many things. One thing is Khorwa Tongtrug as a specific form of red Avalokiteshvara, another thing is Khorwa Tongtrug as a term used in inner tantras. There is no practice of Khorwa Tongtrug in Nyingma Kama (Kama gyepa collection) - at least not in the one put together by Dudjom Rinpoche.

Kama transmissions just means oral lineage, so it could very well be just "regular" white four armed Avalokiteshvara as found in Karma Chagme's collected works - which contains one such sadhana called Recitation and meditation of Avalokiteshvara - Shaking the samsara from the depths, (Tibetan title is: thugs rje chen po'i sgom bzlas 'khor ba dong sprugs). Patrul Rinpoche was dedicated practitioner of Avalokiteshvara and wrote a famous text called Advice virtuous at the beginning, in the middle and at the end (thog mtha' bar gsum du dge ba'i gtam) which has very similar content to Karma Chagme's Union of Dzogchen and Mahamudra. Both of these texts are focused on 4 armed white Avalokitshvara, so my speculation here is that this is what was meant by Khorwa Tongtrug derived from kama transmissions.
There is a Na rag dong sprugs, this can be found in volume P of Dudjom Rinpoche's collection.
dzoki

Post by dzoki »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:57 pm
dzoki wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:48 am This could mean many things. One thing is Khorwa Tongtrug as a specific form of red Avalokiteshvara, another thing is Khorwa Tongtrug as a term used in inner tantras. There is no practice of Khorwa Tongtrug in Nyingma Kama (Kama gyepa collection) - at least not in the one put together by Dudjom Rinpoche.

There is a Na rag dong sprugs, this can be found in volume P of Dudjom Rinpoche's collection.
Yes, but that is a practice of Sattvavajra and not Avalokietshvara as far as I know.
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Considering Patrul Rinpoche's connection to the Longchen Nyingtig, if it was in fact a terma version of Korwa Dongtrug, I'd think it would have been the LN version, yes?
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
ratna

Post by ratna »

The Tibetan has just bka' ma dong sprugs (no 'khor ba). In other texts, this contraction refers to Narak Dongtruk of the Kama lineage.

R
thogme19

Post by thogme19 »

Pema Rigdzin wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:10 pm Considering Patrul Rinpoche's connection to the Longchen Nyingtig, if it was in fact a terma version of Korwa Dongtrug, I'd think it would have been the LN version, yes?
i dont think Longchen Nyingthig has Khorwa Dongtrug.
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

thogme19 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:08 am
Pema Rigdzin wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:10 pm Considering Patrul Rinpoche's connection to the Longchen Nyingtig, if it was in fact a terma version of Korwa Dongtrug, I'd think it would have been the LN version, yes?
i dont think Longchen Nyingthig has Khorwa Dongtrug.
Yeah, just realized that what I was thinking of was Dugngal Rangdrol.
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Khorwa Dongdruk is Chogling Tersar--or, at least the most common version of it comes from that tradition. I seem to recall some commentary about it's relation to Kama.....
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
heart

Post by heart »

conebeckham wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:49 pm Khorwa Dongdruk is Chogling Tersar--or, at least the most common version of it comes from that tradition. I seem to recall some commentary about it's relation to Kama.....
There is also a Khorwa Dongdruk among Adzom Drukpa's termas, the one ChNNR mainly taught.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Jacqui

Post by Jacqui »

Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche has taught on the Korwa Dondruk. Since most of his sangha practices in English, you can try requesting it. He taught on it recently in Australia. I believe it requires empowerment.

http://australia.siddharthasintent.org/ ... ian-visit/
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

Thanks for all the replies
"People are fond of saying all sorts of things about others behind their backs, mentioning their names again and again. Instead of slandering others in this way, “slander” the yidam: utter his name repeatedly by reciting his mantra all the time." - Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche - Zurchungpa’s Testament - Shambhala Publications

Return to “Nyingma”