Requirements to qualify as a mind-terma?

fckw

Requirements to qualify as a mind-terma?

Post by fckw »

What are the requirements for a mind-terma to qualify as such? As I understood they usually have a guru-yoga, yidam practice and dakini practice. Furthermore, they contain instructions also on ati-yoga. Apparently, they usually come either in visions or in dreams. Does anyone know more?
fckw

Re: Requirements to qualify as a mind-terma?

Post by fckw »

"Hidden teachings of Tibet" contains quite a lot of information in this regards, but some questions remain unclear to me.
TrimePema

Post by TrimePema »

fckw wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:35 am What are the requirements for a mind-terma to qualify as such? As I understood they usually have a guru-yoga, yidam practice and dakini practice. Furthermore, they contain instructions also on ati-yoga. Apparently, they usually come either in visions or in dreams. Does anyone know more?
I've heard they are found in the sky of pristine cognition and not thought up or made up by a sentient being...
fckw

Post by fckw »

TrimePema wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:34 am I've heard they are found in the sky of pristine cognition and not thought up or made up by a sentient being...
Well, yes, but at least from the outside it'd probably be hard to tell exactly whether something was thought up or not, if the person making it up (or not) has sufficient experience in a tradition. But I get your point, and it's a valid one.

I was more thinking about outer form of the terma. For example, if it has no Yidam, or no Dakini, or no whatever, does it then still qualify as a mind-terma?
TrimePema

Post by TrimePema »

fckw wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:55 pm
TrimePema wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:34 am I've heard they are found in the sky of pristine cognition and not thought up or made up by a sentient being...
Well, yes, but at least from the outside it'd probably be hard to tell exactly whether something was thought up or not, if the person making it up (or not) has sufficient experience in a tradition. But I get your point, and it's a valid one.

I was more thinking about outer form of the terma. For example, if it has no Yidam, or no Dakini, or no whatever, does it then still qualify as a mind-terma?
either you are mistaken or I am mistaken but I have heard everything Ju Mipham wrote is a mind terma. since he wrote many texts which are not sadhanas, it follows that it would be impossible to qualify texts as being or not being mind terma dependent upon sadhana formulations.
fckw

Post by fckw »

Still not sure I understand your point.

In any case, one of my question is: Are termas always meant to be made public eventually, or is it possible that certain termas are targeted only for a particular tertön and nobody else?
heart

Post by heart »

fckw wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:50 am Still not sure I understand your point.

In any case, one of my question is: Are termas always meant to be made public eventually, or is it possible that certain termas are targeted only for a particular tertön and nobody else?
That is correct, not all termas become public. Some are for particular persons or situations and some are also put back again.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Return to “Nyingma”