Barche Lamsel

dolphin_color

Barche Lamsel

Post by dolphin_color » Tue May 07, 2019 2:04 am

I am strongly drawn to this terma. I have heard it chanted online (as have about a million other people). But, I'm not sure how I am permitted to interact with it without empowerments or authorizations. I haven't done anything with it yet, aside from listening and feeling something nice and obstacle-removing. Would there be a problem with just chanting it? Or just reading it? I suppose the empowerment would have to do with an associated thangka, but I have no intention of pursuing route yet.

heart

Re: Barche Lamsel

Post by heart » Tue May 07, 2019 8:57 am

dolphin_color wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:04 am
I am strongly drawn to this terma. I have heard it chanted online (as have about a million other people). But, I'm not sure how I am permitted to interact with it without empowerments or authorizations. I haven't done anything with it yet, aside from listening and feeling something nice and obstacle-removing. Would there be a problem with just chanting it? Or just reading it? I suppose the empowerment would have to do with an associated thangka, but I have no intention of pursuing route yet.
Great if you can get the "lung", it is quite widespread so it shouldn't be difficult to get. But in my opinion I think it could be wonderful if you started reciting it right away. It is actually a description of the main mandala of Lamey Tukdrub Barche Kunsel. It is a very large terma cycle discovered Chokgyur Lingpa and Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo containing basically every instruction you could ever need.

http://rywiki.tsadra.org/index.php/Tukd ... hey_Kunsel

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

dolphin_color

Post by dolphin_color » Tue May 07, 2019 5:17 pm

I hope I could get an online empowerment for it. Tukdrup Barché Künsel... seems it's a collection of jointly found terma revelations. Cool. And it sounds like you're saying it can serve as a self-contained practice. That would be cool. Do you recommend The Great Gate?

Tlalok

Post by Tlalok » Tue May 07, 2019 5:52 pm

dolphin_color wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 5:17 pm
I hope I could get an online empowerment for it. Tukdrup Barché Künsel... seems it's a collection of jointly found terma revelations. Cool. And it sounds like you're saying it can serve as a self-contained practice. That would be cool. Do you recommend The Great Gate?
The Great Gate, as in the book provided by Ranjung Yeshe publications, has a short manual on the Ngondro of the Tukdrup Barche Kunsel, as well as some other commentaries on general ngondro by Tulku Urgyen, Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche and Dudjom Rinpoche. This is the link to the comprehensive liturgy. Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche created an extremely concise liturgy that runs to about 20 odd pages.

https://lhaseylotsawa.org/texts/seed-of ... -practices

The Great Gate is a very good book, and the manual on the Ngondro liturgy particularly does a great job of explaining the vizualizations / structure of the practice. I don't believe that it really goes into details of other components of the cycle though. I found it an excellent companion to Words of My Perfect Teacher, it covers a lot of the same ground.

heart

Post by heart » Tue May 07, 2019 7:08 pm

dolphin_color wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 5:17 pm
Yes, the Barche Lamsel could be a stand alone practice. To do the Ngondro you need transmission and the yes the great gate is a good book.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

dolphin_color

Post by dolphin_color » Wed May 08, 2019 6:14 am

Thanks, heart and Tlalok! Any suggestions on where and from whom I could get this empowerment? Would they ask me to complete prerequisites beforehand?

heart

Post by heart » Wed May 08, 2019 8:26 am

dolphin_color wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:14 am
Thanks, heart and Tlalok! Any suggestions on where and from whom I could get this empowerment? Would they ask me to complete prerequisites beforehand?
All of Tulku Urgyens sons and Pakchok Rinpoche (Chokling Rinpoches son) give this empowerment regularly. But it is quite widespread and I think many Kagyu lamas also can give this empowerment.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Tlalok

Post by Tlalok » Wed May 08, 2019 6:43 pm

heart wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:26 am
dolphin_color wrote:
All of Tulku Urgyens sons and Pakchok Rinpoche (Chokling Rinpoches son) give this empowerment regularly. But it is quite widespread and I think many Kagyu lamas also can give this empowerment.

/magnus
IIRC the concise Barchey Lamsel was the heart practice of the 16th Karmapa, which means it must be all over the place throughout both Nyingma and Kagyu.

heart

Post by heart » Wed May 08, 2019 7:19 pm

Tlalok wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:43 pm
heart wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:26 am
dolphin_color wrote:

/magnus
IIRC the concise Barchey Lamsel was the heart practice of the 16th Karmapa, which means it must be all over the place throughout both Nyingma and Kagyu.
https://www.lotsawahouse.org/tibetan-ma ... ajra-lines

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

dolphin_color

Post by dolphin_color » Thu May 09, 2019 4:57 am

OK, heart, thanks. Do any of these masters do online empowerments? I'm a bit limited in terms of resources for travel. Perhaps I could ask.

heart

Post by heart » Thu May 09, 2019 9:23 am

dolphin_color wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 4:57 am
OK, heart, thanks. Do any of these masters do online empowerments? I'm a bit limited in terms of resources for travel. Perhaps I could ask.
So far I haven't heard that online empowerment's happened with these masters.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

bryandavis

Post by bryandavis » Thu May 09, 2019 7:30 pm

Just to add a few cents...

I asked Garchen Rinpoche for the Lung of Barche Kunsel. He said the Six Vajra Lines are like the essence of the Barche Kunsel and Sampa Luhndrup.

It is short and sweet. So there is that also.

Bryan.

dolphin_color

Post by dolphin_color » Thu May 09, 2019 9:48 pm

Thank you, heart and bryandavis. I will consider what you've taken time to convey.

Return to “Nyingma”