Tunes for Throma Nagmo "Intermediate" sadhana

Lingpupa

Tunes for Throma Nagmo "Intermediate" sadhana

Post by Lingpupa » Tue May 21, 2019 5:53 pm

As I understand it the "concise" version is long enough, the "intermediate" or "medium" is quite long, and the "full" (which I haven't seen) is huge.

Anyway, my teacher has said that if I "can learn the middle length Töma Sadhana with tsok is excellent". So, work to do there, isn't there?

So my question is whether there is an authentic source for the tunes. I have plenty of sources for, e.g. the various chod practices, Throma's laughter etc., but for the intermediate sadhana I only know of a Youtube video which, while Dudjom R himself is leading, is so poor in recording quality that it is next door to useless. Is there anything better out there?

Thanks in advance for any tips - by all means reply privately if you prefer.
All the best
Alex Wilding
Stupa in the Snow blog at http://chagchen.org/

marcofromM

Re: Tunes for Throma Nagmo "Intermediate" sadhana

Post by marcofromM » Tue May 21, 2019 8:52 pm

There is a good recording of the middle length practice by Chagdud Rinpoche:

Pema Osel Ling should have good recordings of Lama Tharchin and Sangye Khandro also has taped the chants.

Beware that there are distinct styles or traditions of melodies and also the arrangement of the text might differ slightly. There is the Melug or "lower tradition" from Düdjom Rinpoche that might be the most convenient to do. Then there is the Tölug "upper tradition" that is preserved in the Namkha Khyungtsong branch, which is also the main source for the long practice today. Then again, the Bhutanese are doing slightly different melodies having a local flavour. Since Dungse Garab Dorje leads literally thousands of Thröma practitioners in Bhutan, it is very widespread today.

Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen » Tue May 21, 2019 10:34 pm

marcofromM wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:52 pm
That's on Spotify?! :jawdrop:

Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa » Wed May 22, 2019 9:39 am

marcofromM wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:52 pm
marcofromM, I dedicate the merit of offering a peony this morning to the 3 roots to you!
Beware that there are distinct styles or traditions of melodies and also the arrangement of the text might differ slightly. There is the Melug or "lower tradition" from Düdjom Rinpoche that might be the most convenient to do. Then there is the Tölug "upper tradition" that is preserved in the Namkha Khyungtsong branch, which is also the main source for the long practice today. Then again, the Bhutanese are doing slightly different melodies having a local flavour. Since Dungse Garab Dorje leads literally thousands of Thröma practitioners in Bhutan, it is very widespread today.
Thanks for these tips too.
All the best
Alex Wilding

marcofromM

Post by marcofromM » Wed May 29, 2019 4:10 pm

Always happy to help!

Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa » Thu May 30, 2019 9:21 am

marcofromM wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 4:10 pm
Always happy to help!
Happy to be helped by someone who's happy to help. :bow:

Listening on Spotify was straightforward, but I don't want the paid version (had it for a couple of years, wasn't worth it for my purposes) and it's almost impossible to get your own copies of spotify tracks for when you are offline. You *can* sit there and play the tracks one by one while recording with something like audacity - but with 89 tracks? I didn't fancy the job.

There was a solution - you can buy a download (as I of course then did) from CD Baby. (I suspect that the physical CD is no longer available, not sure).

Ah Ah Ah
All the best
Alex Wilding

Return to “Nyingma”