Sit-down with Dudjom Lineage Lama

Proclus

Re: Sit-down with Dudjom Lineage Lama

Post by Proclus » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:30 pm

Pema Chophel- la
if I may ask - what was Ekadzati's remonstrance to Kunkhyen Longchenpa?

Is there literature in English which tells of Ekadzati, her story or history?

Thank you very much.

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:45 pm

Longchen Rabjam was offering tshog entirely based on the power of His samadhi. However, Ekadzati appeared before Longchenpa and told Him that, if it was at all possible, even He should make the effort to make material offerings. The point being, if Longchenpa was told by Ekadzati to still make material offerings, we should too.

I believe this story is in WOMPT.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

Sonam Wangchug

Post by Sonam Wangchug » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:22 pm

pemachophel wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:45 pm
Longchen Rabjam was offering tshog entirely based on the power of His samadhi. However, Ekadzati appeared before Longchenpa and told Him that, if it was at all possible, even He should make the effort to make material offerings. The point being, if Longchenpa was told by Ekadzati to still make material offerings, we should too.

I believe this story is in WOMPT.
:good:
"To have confidence in the teacher is the ultimate refuge." -Rigzin Jigme Lingpa

TrimePema

Post by TrimePema » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:01 am

Why do you want this or that special practices?
If you want to become a Buddha, ask your teacher how to follow the path right now and then do that.

Don't argue, don't get lazy; just do it.
Become a Buddha in this lifetime for the benefit of sentient beings.
As Patrul Rinpoche states in the Special Teaching of the Wise and Glorious King "If not, what joy! A LA LA"
The only question you ever need to ask is what to do right now related to that.
Don't make any guesses "oh I think I should practice blah blah blah."
Your Lama knows what practice to give you.

Terma

Post by Terma » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:42 pm

TrimePema wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:01 am
If you want to become a Buddha, ask your teacher how to follow the path right now and then do that.

As Patrul Rinpoche states in the Special Teaching of the Wise and Glorious King "If not, what joy! A LA LA"
It doesn't always work this way though. Some Lama's still prefer the student to have a say as well, and so e also encourage them to practice what they feel they have a connection with. It would be easy (or very difficult for some) if we were always told to "just do this or that practice".

But of course, either way it is so important to connect with a teacher whom you trust, from a lineage that you have great faith in. Whatever they do offer you, make the commitment to put it into practice.

TrimePema

Post by TrimePema » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:30 am

Terma wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:42 pm
TrimePema wrote:

It doesn't always work this way though. Some Lama's still prefer the student to have a say as well, and so e also encourage them to practice what they feel they have a connection with. It would be easy (or very difficult for some) if we were always told to "just do this or that practice".

But of course, either way it is so important to connect with a teacher whom you trust, from a lineage that you have great faith in. Whatever they do offer you, make the commitment to put it into practice.
That's true.
Especially if you do not have access to your teacher 1 on 1 regularly (at least once a year).
What I'm saying is: do what your teacher asks. Your teacher might ask you what you want to talk about, or they might start a conversation that isn't what you expected. Either way, do what your teacher asks. There's a lot of merit in following the advice of your authentic and genuine close spiritual friend.

Terma

Post by Terma » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:40 am

TrimePema wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:30 am
Terma wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:42 pm
TrimePema wrote:

That's true.
Especially if you do not have access to your teacher 1 on 1 regularly (at least once a year).
What I'm saying is: do what your teacher asks. Your teacher might ask you what you want to talk about, or they might start a conversation that isn't what you expected. Either way, do what your teacher asks. There's a lot of merit in following the advice of your authentic and genuine close spiritual friend.
Absolutely agree. Too often for some reason or another, we don't always take the teachers "suggestions" to heart, especially if it is not what we wanted to hear necessarily. But if we truly have faith in this teacher's ability to lead us along the path, then we must set aside this mindset.

It can certainly be tricky when one doesn't have somewhat regular access to their teacher.

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:29 pm

madhusudan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:40 am
Sorry if this question is a bit off topic, but how can we do tsok alone?
Just do the tsok section of the sadhana and offer something simple like "even just one cookie." I put that in quotes because one of my Palyul lamas said exactly that in a teaching once in NYC.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

yagmort

Post by yagmort » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:31 am

B0DH15ATTVA wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:09 am
...since I plan on formally asking to be this Rinpoche’s student I will just trust in what he tells me is best for me to do...
that's good intention, but please don't rush to adopt a lama before you have a talk with him.

i am in the camp who think that you can ask a lama anything. the fact you didn't finish ngondro doesn't mean you decided not to finish it - if it is correct, you can still do it. probably the second sentence i uttered to my teacher was: "can an ordinary guy like me study 6 yogas?" the answer was: "i can't promise you 6 yogas, you have to do ngondro first. do you know what ngondro is?" when i said i know and it is a preliminary practice he smiled and told when he did it it didn't look like a preliminary to him at all... anyway, if i were you i would be just open and sincere holding no expectations and see how it'll go.

Terma

Post by Terma » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:38 am

yagmort wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:31 am
B0DH15ATTVA wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:09 am
...since I plan on formally asking to be this Rinpoche’s student I will just trust in what he tells me is best for me to do...
that's good intention, but please don't rush to adopt a lama before you have a talk with him.

i am in the camp who think that you can ask a lama anything. the fact you didn't finish ngondro doesn't mean you decided not to finish it - if it is correct, you can still do it. probably the second sentence i uttered to my teacher was: "can an ordinary guy like me study 6 yogas?" the answer was: "i can't promise you 6 yogas, you have to do ngondro first. do you know what ngondro is?" when i said i know and it is a preliminary practice he smiled and told when he did it it didn't look like a preliminary to him at all... anyway, if i were you i would be just open and sincere holding no expectations and see how it'll go.
Great advice, yagmort.

I might add this as well to keep in mind. It is good to remember that when we do request things like teachings, transmissions, etc., And even if the Master doesn't say yes we still definately accumulate merit just by doing so. Some teachers actually sometimes have the habit of having us ask several times. I think it also creates auspicious conditions and strengthens the connection between you.

Like yagmort said, just be honest, open and sincere. See what kind of a connection you have. It is quite important to develop a relationship with a teacher with whom you have a good connection with and one with which you can develop and nurture strong faith and devotion towards.

Best of luck to you!

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:04 pm

B0DH15ATTVA wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:13 pm
I have a sit-down arranged with a Dudjom Lineage-holder and I figured some of the savvier and well-seasoned folks here might be able to provide some suggestions as to some neat lungs for prayers and mantras, or practices that I could request from Rinpoche.
If it was me, I'd use the opportunity to ask him to bless me for success, do some rituals for different things, enchant different objects, recharge amulets, sprinkle some holy water on me and my customer's business cards,etc.

DawaJigme

Post by DawaJigme » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:13 pm

Simon E. wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:37 am
Ask for blessings for fresh impetus to finish the ngondro.

:namaste:
Excellent suggestion!

Return to “Nyingma”