termas found outside of asia?

kadak dummy

termas found outside of asia?

Post by kadak dummy » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:16 am

Hi,

Im curious, have tertons revealed earth or other physical termas outside of asia? I have heard of some being revealed in India, but how about elsewhere? really interested to know if something was revealed in say north america or europe.

thanks

DawaJigme

Re: termas found outside of asia?

Post by DawaJigme » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:04 pm

According to the late Shenphen Dawa Rinpoche, HH Dudjom Rinpoche revealed a (presumably mind-) terma in Los Angeles(!) very late in life. It was a Green Tara of Wealth terma. You might be able to find more information at www.tersar.org. The info about this sadhana's being a terma was part of a description of the practice, IIRC.

Since termas are often kept secret for some time, years might pass before we learn of other terma treasures outside of Asia.

tingdzin

Post by tingdzin » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:43 am

I have the idea that Jigme Phuntsok and Kusum Lingpa both revealed termas outside Asia, but I can't recall details off hand. I could also be wrong.

TrimePema

Post by TrimePema » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:05 pm

I heard a nyingma Rinpoche once said there are termas in the great mountain ranges of the US but they cannot yet be revealed due to the karmic situation. Some of these mountains are in reality stupas constructed by the wisdom mind of Guru Rinpoche but appear to be mountains for now due to our karma.

I asked another nyingma lama about this and he said there are some mountains that are auspicious and have signs that indicate this type of thing.

But who knows

SonamTashi

Post by SonamTashi » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:26 pm

TrimePema wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:05 pm
I heard a nyingma Rinpoche once said there are termas in the great mountain ranges of the US but they cannot yet be revealed due to the karmic situation. Some of these mountains are in reality stupas constructed by the wisdom mind of Guru Rinpoche but appear to be mountains for now due to our karma.

I asked another nyingma lama about this and he said there are some mountains that are auspicious and have signs that indicate this type of thing.

But who knows
Did they specific about the mountain ranges at all? Like were they talking about the Appalachian Mountains, Rocky Mountains, or were they non-specific?
:bow: :buddha1: :bow: :anjali: :meditate:

TrimePema

Post by TrimePema » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:47 pm

SonamTashi wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:26 pm
TrimePema wrote:

But who knows
Did they specific about the mountain ranges at all? Like were they talking about the Appalachian Mountains, Rocky Mountains, or were they non-specific?
This was specifically regarding mountains in Mojave, but the specific range I don't know. It would not be surprising to me if it was also the case in the Rocky Mountains. Actually, it would not be surprising to me if it was relatively common.

tkp67

Post by tkp67 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:01 pm

How about the area blessed by the HHDL in America? Does this have any meaning?

SonamTashi

Post by SonamTashi » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:47 pm

TrimePema wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:47 pm
SonamTashi wrote:
TrimePema wrote:

But who knows
This was specifically regarding mountains in Mojave, but the specific range I don't know. It would not be surprising to me if it was also the case in the Rocky Mountains. Actually, it would not be surprising to me if it was relatively common.
That's really interesting to me, because that's where I live. In fact the name of the temple I go to translates to "where the red rocks protect."
:bow: :buddha1: :bow: :anjali: :meditate:

TrimePema

Post by TrimePema » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:08 pm

SonamTashi wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:47 pm
TrimePema wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:47 pm
SonamTashi wrote:

That's really interesting to me, because that's where I live. In fact the name of the temple I go to translates to "where the red rocks protect."
You live in Mojave?

This part about the mountains there was said to a friend of mine by Lama Chodak Gyatso Nubpa from Ari Bhod. That place is really special and worth a trip.

The other time I heard something about it was from a yogi Rinpoche who lives in Los Angeles. He said something along the lines of: "I wouldn't have moved here if there weren't auspicious signs [in the environment]. The mountain I live under is shaped exactly like Guru Rinpoche's hat... there are some other signs, too but I shouldn't talk about those because it doesn't make sense unless you know how to see them."

Likewise, I asked Lama Gyatso's son Tulku Rigdzin about it and he said "Well, my dharma name is Vidyadhara of the Western Ocean [or something like that, I forgot exactly] and there's some meaning in that... whatever it is." I took this to mean that in the future when the Dharma flourishes here there will be termas that can be revealed from the stupa treasuries of Guru Rinpoche in the mountains.

Maybe I have a strong imagination.

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:38 pm

Tulku Yeshi Gyamtso (Who also sometimes goes by the Terton name Thrag-thung Lingpa) discovered both handprints and footprints in the foothills just west of Boulder, CO. I believe He also discovered a Vajra Yogini cave. Not terma per se, but moving in that direction.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:42 pm

Sorry, I should've said that Tulku Yeshi discovered Guru Rinpoche's handprints and footprints just west of Boulder. That was maybe two years ago.

Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:08 pm

:good: :woohoo:

Brings up a question .... what about Europe? :D

I just know that HH. Chetsang Rinpoche discovered some Vajradakini cave in the USA and founded a nunnery near the place. The cave was and still is a holy grounds for native americans around there. But not sure if my info is correct, but more can be found in his biography.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Formerly known as Miroku.

TrimePema

Post by TrimePema » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:00 pm

Is it possible there is a beyul somewhere in the West, too?

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:13 pm

TrimePema wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:00 pm
Is it possible there is a beyul somewhere in the West, too?
For sure.

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:09 am

Ever hear the story of Rip Van Winkle? I've heard exactly the same story in Bhutan. My Bhutanese friend even pointed out the rock in which is the door to that particular beyul.

The 16th Karmapa said that a certain number of siddhas would arise in Crestone, CO.

H.H. Dudjom Rinpoche said that a valley in western Montana was also a place where a certain number of siddhas would arise.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:13 am

TrimePema wrote:

But who knows
Who indeed....
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:20 am

pemachophel wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:09 am
Ever hear the story of Rip Van Winkle? I've heard exactly the same story in Bhutan. My Bhutanese friend even pointed out the rock in which is the door to that particular beyul.

The 16th Karmapa said that a certain number of siddhas would arise in Crestone, CO.

H.H. Dudjom Rinpoche said that a valley in western Montana was also a place where a certain number of siddhas would arise.
Is that where the Garden of 1000 Buddhas is located? Always wondered about why it was put where it was, place has some serious the mojo, the entire region does.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

florin

Post by florin » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:10 am

I have heard of a guy from eastern Europe who revealed a terma.

heart

Post by heart » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:57 am

florin wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:10 am
I have heard of a guy from eastern Europe who revealed a terma.
Ivo? http://skydharma.com

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Sonam Wangchug

Post by Sonam Wangchug » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:57 am

Miroku wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:08 pm
:good: :woohoo:

Brings up a question .... what about Europe? :D

I just know that HH. Chetsang Rinpoche discovered some Vajradakini cave in the USA and founded a nunnery near the place. The cave was and still is a holy grounds for native americans around there. But not sure if my info is correct, but more can be found in his biography.
He had quite a bit of obstacles in discovering the cave (someone slammed his hand in the car door) and had to descend dangerously down a rope with his injured hand. He said it was Local spirit/s making obstacles.

I believe there was also Sindhura found in that cave.

I also heard that the late Kunzang Dechen Lingpa described an important cave shaped like a Phurba? In VT I think he saw it in his dream.

I think one would be hard pressed to find Sa Ter in USA, although there are some dubious claims. However, there are masters who have revealed Gong ter here, H.H Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche had a Gong ter that triggered due to the tendrel of sitting next to a certain women on a plane to France, I can't recall what Terma it was, but if there are any of H.H's students on this forum they may know. Kunzang Dechen Lingpa also had Gong ter in USA. (As did H.H Dudjom Rinpoche as mentioned above)

Some other interesting stories about land in the Western world

When they were constructing KTD Gompa in New York, at one point they had trouble getting any water. The 16th Gyalwang Karmapa saw in his vision a Golden colored local deity whose hand was obstructing the well. He composed an offering verse for him, and then they were able to get water. I hear this verse is still chanted at KTD during Mahakala.

Gangteng Rinpoche saw some local deities in the form of Giant Native Americans in Colorado, I also believe he composed a verse for them that is chanted at his center in Crestone.

H.H Dudjom Rinpoche encountered the local deities in France, who were wearing tattered clothing saying they had been neglected, and no one had given them offerings. I believe it was a Sang that he composed for them. H.H Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche also composed a sang for local French deities.

16th Karmapa did say that there would be Siddha's in Crestone CO as mentioned above, I recall hearing the number at 40, but cannot say that is definitive as I heard it second hand.

When H.H Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche visited a certain spot in Crestone CO he made an auspicious prediction by stabbing a Phurba into a particular area, this is where Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche's Sangdo Palri is now.

Adzom Paylo Rinpoche another Crestone Rinpoche left a thumb print in a stone when he was in Colorado, in fact he did it in front of a group of students. He is known for such feats, he was asked to do it, and asked that only those with faith be present when he did, he left only his thumb print and said that was because there was one person present that didn't have faith. This stone exists somewhere, but can't recall at which Center it is housed.

Some people talk about Crestone like it is a Beyul, I've heard regarding its geomancy it is a very ideal place for retreat, and indeed special. I've heard in the large valley there, there is a massive amount of water underneath which water companies were trying to exploit. Kusum Lingpa Rinpoche had a Naga shrine built by a stream there.

Some Local's were also told to place Tsa Tsa's at certain dips in the Crestone mountain peaks for energetic reasons, it was quite dangerous, but I do not remember which Rinpoche in specific asked them to do that.
"To have confidence in the teacher is the ultimate refuge." -Rigzin Jigme Lingpa

Return to “Nyingma”