termas found outside of asia?

Yeti

Re: termas found outside of asia?

Post by Yeti »

Changling Rinpoche told us that one of the sadhanas within Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche's Rangjung Pema Nyingthik appeared to him whilst he was on a flight from France returning to Kathmandu, apparently that was aided by a dakini sitting next to him.

I also have heard that Guru Rinpoche has hidden terma in all the continents on earth.

Then there is the saying that the whole universe appears as terma to those who have the merit of that level of perception.
"People are fond of saying all sorts of things about others behind their backs, mentioning their names again and again. Instead of slandering others in this way, “slander” the yidam: utter his name repeatedly by reciting his mantra all the time." - Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche - Zurchungpa’s Testament - Shambhala Publications
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

While not neccessarily Nyingma or terma related, there are some power spots identified by Gelug and Chinese masters that I am familiar with. The first that comes to mind is Land of Calm Abiding, a place that Kyabje Ribur Rinpoche said would one day be the holiest place in America. I also remember seeing a mention of Lama Zopa Rinpoche consecrating a mountain somewhere in the USA, which I found curious because I was thinking how could a mountain act as a holy object?

Master Hsuan Hua identified numerous power places across the US and purchased land for the construction of monasteries where feasible. In particular, Castle Mountain in Canada's Banff National Park has been identified as a holy place of Manjushri, who abides there similarly to how he abides in Wutaishan.
weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

Someone can help me out - isn't there something like a central register of the termas to come.
So if someone comes up "I have a new terma" then others can confirm that is has been foreseen?
Rationally speaking it would be useful if this register contains the location and the nature of source too... But well, rationally speaking...
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE
florin

Post by florin »

heart wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:57 am
florin wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:10 am I have heard of a guy from eastern Europe who revealed a terma.
Ivo? http://skydharma.com

/magnus
Yes. I think it might be him.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I heard a well known Buddhist commentator say that this represents a whole new dimension of cultural appropriation extended to the geographical.

Me? I couldn’t possibly comment.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
heart

Post by heart »

florin wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:30 am
florin wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:10 am I have heard of a guy from eastern Europe who revealed a terma.

/magnus
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=14181

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
florin

Post by florin »

heart wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:20 pm

/magnus

/magnus
I completely forgot about that discussion.
I vaguely knew that there was something somewhere info on this situation but wasn’t sure.

Reading through that thread now i am surprised about the vitriol some people displayed with regards to the possibility of a westerner being a terton. Some people will never be able to accept, not even in principle, the idea that tertons can be of any nationality and not only tibetans. This is silly and very limiting.
heart

Post by heart »

florin wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:30 pm
heart wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:20 pm

/magnus
I completely forgot about that discussion.
I vaguely knew that there was something somewhere info on this situation but wasn’t sure.

Reading through that thread now i am surprised about the vitriol some people displayed with regards to the possibility of a westerner being a terton. Some people will never be able to accept, not even in principle, the idea that tertons can be of any nationality and not only tibetans. This is silly and very limiting.
I never had any problems with Ivo and I recently watched long video with Ngakchang Rinpoche and his khandro and they seemed like nice people. Still I have some doubts about their terma and I can't put the finger exactly on what it is that bothers me. In general I have great faith in terma coming from Chokling, Khyentse and Kongtrul and other older termas.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
karmadhatu

Post by karmadhatu »

I think this is quite dangerous precedent that some people acknowledge that maybe he (Ivo) is terton and that his terna is ok . As we know also from Tibetan history tertons like Chokgjur Lingpa initialy had no trust from Situ Rinpoche or Jamgon Kongtrul Lodro. But after veryfying they have been recognise him as authentic terton also his termas as authentic. It is not very bad just for him to (in a case if he is fake and termas are fake) teach and spread, though only to a few people, but it is very, very bad also for his folowers, followers of fake termas. Karma Chakme rinpoche is saying that in the Mountain retreat. So we should be critical, and he should go to, for example, Yangsi Dudjom rinpoche, Karmapa or some other great lamas, to examine his termas, also him (maybe he is emanation one of 25 disciples of Guru Padmasambhava). And if they say that he is authentic and also termas, then it would be great and really reason for to be happy. But until then I would be very cautious.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Johnny, yes.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
yeshegyaltsen

Post by yeshegyaltsen »

Sonam Wangchug wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:57 am
Adzom Paylo Rinpoche another Crestone Rinpoche left a thumb print in a stone when he was in Colorado, in fact he did it in front of a group of students. He is known for such feats, he was asked to do it, and asked that only those with faith be present when he did, he left only his thumb print and said that was because there was one person present that didn't have faith. This stone exists somewhere, but can't recall at which Center it is housed.
This was actually at Tara Mandala. There's a video of Tsultrim telling the story posted somewhere. Though I know another of his well-regarded students who has another thumb print of his, but she's more reluctant to advertise it, so I won't mention her name.
yeshegyaltsen

Post by yeshegyaltsen »

Amelia Hall's (now teaching at Naropa) dissertation on Kunzang Dechen Lingpa discusses his revelations in America. See https://ora.ox.ac.uk/objects/uuid:87c51 ... ork=Thesis
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Simon E. wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:33 am I heard a well known Buddhist commentator say that this represents a whole new dimension of cultural appropriation extended to the geographical.

Me? I couldn’t possibly comment.
Sorry to intrude.

By bringing that up, you are commenting. Accusations of cultural appropriation? C'mon.

Then just stop and go back to Jesus or whatever. Just don't do anything you've seen anyone else ever do, because you're just appropriating their identity. None of its for you.

Everything is appropriation.
pemachophel wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:09 am Ever hear the story of Rip Van Winkle? I've heard exactly the same story in Bhutan. My Bhutanese friend even pointed out the rock in which is the door to that particular beyul.
Rip Van Winkle took place in the Catskills. There are some wonderful places there. I've been meaning to scout out some places to practice.

Not quite on point, since its a different tradition... but one of the occasional members on DW, Meido, with some others are establishing Shugendo training grounds in North America. I expect that as they carry out the practices, the local deities will be recognized and the spiritual qualities of the land will become apparent.

Seems to me, these locations will be revealed as people get out there and practice.

Again on an unrelated tradition, but in Japan, there are many sacred places that have been discovered and become practice grounds. Alan Grapard discusses this in some articles - he calls it "the mandalization of the landscape."

Again, apologies for intruding on this discussion. Very interesting to me for a host of reasons.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

“Go back to Jesus?”.....Hmmm. That would certainly be congruent with my ancestry and cultural heritage.

Maybe I should at that. It would certainly have the effect of not needing to put another head on top of my head.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Simon E. wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:34 pm “Go back to Jesus?”.....Hmmm. That would certainly be congruent with my ancestry and cultural heritage.

Maybe I should at that. It would certainly have the effect of not needing to put another head on top of my head.
You mean culturally appropriating another head?
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Queequeg,

H.H. the 16th Karmapa said that the Hudson Valley was a very special spiritual place. Almost every valley in the Catskills has its Buddhist temple, monastery, or center.

As for identifying local Deities in the U.S.:

Gochen Tulku Sang-ngag identified the local spirit of Mt. Shasta.

Namkha Drimed Rinpoche saw the Naga king Migon Karpo and the Nagini Princess Shankhapali in the U.S. and wrote sol-kha for Them.

Lama Dawa Chodrak identified the Goddess of the Mississippi and Her retinue and wrote a sol-kha for them. He also wrote a sol-kha for Popocapetl, the spirit of the volcano in Mexico. In addition, He had a familiar Theurang named Mig-mi Zang-po at His home in Iowa. Last but not least, He said that the Indian Peaks in Colorado were the U.S. home of Tsheringma and Her Sisters.

If I remember correctly, Kusum Lingpa wrote a sol-kha for the spirit of the mountain behind Rigdzin Ling, Chagdud Rinpoche's center in northern California.

Tsok-nyi Rinpoche has installed the Goddess Dorje Yudronma in a gon-khang in Crestone.

H.H. Dudjom Rinpoche's step-daughter, Norzingla, saw the spirits of Mt. Katadhin in Maine.

Chogyal Namkhai Norbu identified the Tsen Yava Rukshi as an important Protector for the U.S.

I'm sure this must be just the tip of the iceberg.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Ritro Gonpo
Challenger Point is actually a sub-peak of Kit Carson Peak which has an interesting history. The mountain was named after the famed frontiersman who had a complicated history with the American Indian. He lived among and married into the Arapaho and Cheyenne tribes but is said to have lodged an 1864 campaign to dislodge the Navajo Indians who had sided with the Confederacy. In 1995 a group including Yale University purchased a ranch for $15 million that included Kit Carson Peak. In 2006 ownership changed again when the Nature Conservancy purchased the ranch and the Peak for $31 million. At that time a local Dharma group that practices beneath the Peak attempted to rename it “Ritro Gonpo” which is the name of a Tibetan deity that serves as the protector of mediation retreats. Today it is still Kit Carson Peak.
https://www.rickcrandall.net/kit-carson ... -long-day/
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

pemachophel wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:51 pm H.H. the 16th Karmapa said that the Hudson Valley was a very special spiritual place. Almost every valley in the Catskills has its Buddhist temple, monastery, or center.
Long before the buddhism/vajrayana had such a presence in north america, new york state was already a very import place in the history of religion in north america.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lily_Dale,_New_York
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palmyra_( ... ,_New_York
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millerism

Someone ever wrote a book about it:
Ambitious in scope, this book takes on the history of fringe religious movements in upstate New York from the era of the American Revolution into the twentieth century. Staged as a response to the puzzling of historians over the question of why so many spiritual movements emerged in this single geographical area, U
https://networks.h-net.org/node/15697/r ... -early-new
From 1776 to 1914, an amazing collection of prophets, mediums, sects, cults, utopian communities, and spiritual leaders arose in Upstate New York. Along with the best known of these, such as the Shakers, Mormons, and Spiritualists, this book explores more than forty other spiritual leaders or groups, some of them virtually unknown, but all of them fascinating. The author uncovers common threads that characterize these homegrown spiritualities
https://www.sunypress.edu/p-6033-upstate-cauldron.aspx
TrimePema

Post by TrimePema »

weitsicht wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:02 am Someone can help me out - isn't there something like a central register of the termas to come.
So if someone comes up "I have a new terma" then others can confirm that is has been foreseen?
Rationally speaking it would be useful if this register contains the location and the nature of source too... But well, rationally speaking...
Is there even a text that says the number of terma hidden?
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

I can't get away from the feeling that the Lunigiana, where I have lived for the last 10 years, is peppered with sacred sites, but I'm not up to identifying them.
It's the opposite end of Tuscany from where ChNNR's centre is.
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Ramblings: lunidharma.blogspot.com

Return to “Nyingma”