Looking for Ngagpa lama in Pac. Northwest.

KonchogUrgyenNyima

Looking for Ngagpa lama in Pac. Northwest.

Post by KonchogUrgyenNyima » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:17 am

Hello all,

The title really says it. Im really hoping to meet a ngagpa lama somewhere in the PNW. Doesnt seem like there are any here. Prove me wrong?

May beings benefit from your effort.

pemachophel

Re: Looking for Ngagpa lama in Pac. Northwest.

Post by pemachophel » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:00 pm

What exactly do you mean by "ngakpa Lama?" If I understood your request better, I might be able to help you.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:27 pm

I mean there's Tulku Yeshi, I don't know if he counts as "Ngakpa Lama" or not, but might be close to what you're looking for? No long hair or anything, but he's great.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

KonchogUrgyenNyima

Post by KonchogUrgyenNyima » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:45 am

pemachophel wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:00 pm
What exactly do you mean by "ngakpa Lama?" If I understood your request better, I might be able to help you.
to be more specific, I'm looking for a nyingma lama who does not have monks vows but instead has ngagpa vows (whatever those are. thats part of why i want to meet a ngagpa lama) who can give guidance in my practice of Dzogchen Longchen Nyingtig Ngondro. Thank you for reaching out it means a ton to me.
may beings benefit greatly

KonchogUrgyenNyima

Post by KonchogUrgyenNyima » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:47 am

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:27 pm
I mean there's Tulku Yeshi, I don't know if he counts as "Ngakpa Lama" or not, but might be close to what you're looking for? No long hair or anything, but he's great.
yes i've tried to get a hold of this tulku after receiving teaching from him on one occasion, but he proves very difficult to get a hold of.
thanks for replying,
may beings benefit greatly from your effort. <3

Maybe you have some way of getting a hold of him easily?

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:42 pm

Tulku Yeshi Rinpoche is on FB. He posts several times per day. So no problem getting ahold of him. I know that He has given ngakpa vows to several of my Dharma friends. Although Tulku Yeshi dresses like a monks, I'm not sure He still is. Never asked Him since that's not any big deal one way of the other for me.

However, if you're looking for a Longchen Nyingthig Teacher in the NW, I highly recommend you see Kilung Rinpoche on Whidby Island, WA. He is the Tulku of one of Jigme Lingpa's "four Jigmes," His four Heart-sons. So a very, very close connection to the Longchen Nyingthig. He's a good Teacher and very approachable in my experience. He is married; so He's not a monk.

Both these Teachers speak good English.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

KonchogUrgyenNyima

Post by KonchogUrgyenNyima » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:37 pm

Thank you so much my friend i really appreciate this.

mahabuddha

Post by mahabuddha » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:46 am

Lama Wangdu in Portland.

TrimePema

Post by TrimePema » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:23 pm

KonchogUrgyenNyima wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:45 am
pemachophel wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:00 pm
to be more specific, I'm looking for a nyingma lama who does not have monks vows but instead has ngagpa vows (whatever those are. thats part of why i want to meet a ngagpa lama) who can give guidance in my practice of Dzogchen Longchen Nyingtig Ngondro. Thank you for reaching out it means a ton to me.
may beings benefit greatly
that's not exactly what a ngakpa is. lots of people have ngakpa vows as part of having received higher initiations but they arent actually ngakpa. The vows can also be given to students in separate ceremonies but this also doesn't usually mean those students have accomplishment. It just means the Teacher is letting them relate to the path in the way that they feel most connected to it. It is wonderful to compassionately aspire to being a ngakpa on ones way to Buddhahood, and profoundly meritorious to take and keep the vows, even if one has no siddhi like probably all of us here.

ngakpa means you have accomplishment, generally in the wrathful activities associated with exorcisms and helpful things like controlling the weather.
if you want ngondro guidance you can get it from any lama and probably also a lot of people who are ngondro instructors and senior students who are not lamas. Ngakpas are generally householders, however, because it is easiest to pass mundane siddhis through a bloodline, due to some karmic complications.

In general there are lamas, monks, and ngakpa. A lama can be a monk, ngakpa, or neither. A lama may have ngakpa vows but not actually have accomplishment. A ngakpa refers specifically to someone who holds the ngakpa vows and has accomplishment. A ngakpa lama is someone who has accomplishment, holds the ngakpa vows, and is also a lama.

Likewise, a householder can have ngakpa vows and not be a ngakpa. A householder can also be a lama and not be a ngakpa.

My point is, a ngakpa refers specifically and only to someone who has accomplishment in a certain area of mundane siddhi and is available to perform that action for whoever requests it, free of charge (although dana is usually helpful in creating the necessary karmic links for the activity to be accomplished because it happens to be something very dear to everyone).

and yes, Lama Wangdu Rinpoche is a ngakpa lama.

Return to “Nyingma”