difference longchen nyingtik vs chokling tersar

toha0652

difference longchen nyingtik vs chokling tersar

Post by toha0652 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:08 am

what are the mqin differences?
are they very different? im especially interested in the ngöndro. how do they relate to one another.
im asking because ive read myingur rinpoches book about ngöndro and could relate to it. also there is extensive commentary on the longchen nyingtik.
however in Austria, especially where i live, we dont have a center that teaches the longchen nyingtik, i trink. but there is a Center (gomde) from another son of tulku urguyen rinpoche, chokyi nyima rinpoche, but they teach the chokling tersar tradition.
so are they completely different or can i do the ngöndro of chokling while still getting inspired by the commentary of longchen nyingtik?

heart

Re: difference longchen nyingtik vs chokling tersar

Post by heart » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:23 pm

toha0652 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:08 am
are they very different? im especially interested in the ngöndro. how do they relate to one another.
im asking because ive read myingur rinpoches book about ngöndro and could relate to it. also there is extensive commentary on the longchen nyingtik.
however in Austria, especially where i live, we dont have a center that teaches the longchen nyingtik, i trink. but there is a Center (gomde) from another son of tulku urguyen rinpoche, chokyi nyima rinpoche, but they teach the chokling tersar tradition.
so are they completely different or can i do the ngöndro of chokling while still getting inspired by the commentary of longchen nyingtik?
First, if you asked Chökyi Nyima Rinpoche (and brought the Tibetan text) you could probably get "lung" for the Longchen Nyingtik ngondro from him. Then IMO there are not big differences between these two ngondros. The so called Chokling tersar ngondro is actually the ngondro for the terma called Tukdrub Barche Kunsel that is the biggest part of the Chokling Tersar and contain numerous instructions and practices.

The Chokling Tersar is a very big collection of termas, much larger than the Longchen Nyingtik.

Dzongsar Khyentse have a online program for the Longchen Nyingtik ngondro (and the Karma Kagyu and the Chetsun Nyingtik) on ngondrogar.org. He give "lung" for these ngondros now and then during webcasted teachings.

You can of course use Longchen Nyingtik ngondro commentary as inspiration no matter what ngondro you do.

I also want to add that I have been to Gomde Austria several times (Chökyi Nyima Rinpoche is my root teacher) and it is a wonderful place with great people and I would like to suggest that you visit it no matter what ngondro you do.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

toha0652

Post by toha0652 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:28 am

thank you for your valuable info

since i have like literally no money available to travel somewhere far away. are they giving transmissions/empowerments at gomde?

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:00 am

First of all, it’s excellent that you’re asking about doing the preliminary practices. Many people start by asking, do I really have to do the preliminary practices.

There are many cycles of practice in the chokling ter and several have their own preliminaries. Your first step should be to work out with a lama which you want to do - as this is a multi-year commitment - and then you need to do the preliminaries for that.

If you are interested in the chokling ter, chokyi Nyima Rinpoche has in the past few years been developing an online program around one of the cycles of practice based on Tara. I’ve heard it’s really accessible and well organized. (I don’t practice it myself.)

If you’re interested in the longchen nyingtik then there are many lamas that can get you started on that.

However the key decision here is the lama. I would suggest you go on chokyi Nyima’s website (dharmasun.org) and look at both his teachings and the programs.

heart

Post by heart » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:47 am

toha0652 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:28 am
thank you for your valuable info

since i have like literally no money available to travel somewhere far away. are they giving transmissions/empowerments at gomde?
Yes.
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

ratna

Post by ratna » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:32 pm

Chökyi Nyima Rinpoche is an amazing teacher and if you can make a connection with him you will be fortunate.
Don't touch me while I'm tantric.

TrimePema

Post by TrimePema » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:16 am

toha0652 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:08 am
the difference is they lead to different cycles of teachings that have the same essence.

don't get too caught up in this, though. if you complete one ngondro you can most likely pick up the other and do an abbreviated number of accumulations to fulfill the requisites of completion before moving to other teachings in that cycle.

better to practice than not and you also have an absolutely amazing Teacher available to you in Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche and all the resources of Gomde - wow!

Terma

Post by Terma » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:47 am

ratna wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:32 pm
Chökyi Nyima Rinpoche is an amazing teacher and if you can make a connection with him you will be fortunate.
Absolutely agree. Rinpoche is wonderful in so many ways. 🙏

Good advice so far but I will also add that it might be good to lean towards what you feel you have a strong connection with, or rather more of an inclination to practice. Both lineages are very rich so you really can't go wrong with either.

Return to “Nyingma”