summer retreat at palyul

sato

summer retreat at palyul

Post by sato »

Hi, did any of you guys did one month summer Tsa-lung retreat at Palyul Center, either in US or Namdroling in India ? I did ngondro many times and all that, but my question is: is this dzogrim practice based on any Yidam nyendrub practice ? I mean do you have to complete a Yidam mantra recitation before this Tsa-lung teaching and practice ?
Could you tell me a bit how it looks like ? Who is the teacher ? Would you recommend it ?
Thank you for as much info as you could write.
jake5521

Re: summer retreat at palyul

Post by jake5521 »

You could try contacting Namdroling in India, they respond pretty well. Their website has contacts and stuff
sato

Post by sato »

thanks jake
pema tsultrim

Post by pema tsultrim »

I do not believe there is a mantra accumulation prerequisite. I have not done the Palyul Tsa Lung but I did my Ngondro in the Palyul/Namcho tradition at Namdroling. I also know many people who have and none of them ever mentioned that.

At Upstate NY, AFAIK, you must fulfill one of three prerequisites for Tsa Lung: 1) having done the 40 day Namcho Ngondro retreat at Namdroling or NY with a commitment to complete the 500,000 accumulations, 2) having completed the 500,000 accumulations in Palyul or another tradition, or 3) special permission from an authorized Palyul lineage teacher. Namdroling I would say has the same requirements. I don't know how easy it is to go to Namdroling nowadays. I was last there in 2005, but a PAP is definitely required and this can take time to get. A letter of introduction from a Palyul teacher or a lama who studied at Namdroling could also help open doors there. Of course now, with no one flying, and the Ngo-Tsa-Dzog retreats taking place after Losar, you have time to plan.

At Palyul NY, I know different teachers have done the daily instruction in Tsa Lung: Among them, Lopon Rabjee Wangchuk is known to be very good at Tsa Lung, as well as Drakmar Tulku. I believe both of them have led TL at Namdroling as well, but there are many many lamas there.

I have heard excellent things about the Namcho Tsa Lung retreat and practice. Like other Namcho practices, it is known for being very simple compared to other systems, and blessings and signs of accomplishments are swift and easy to attain. If money and freedom to travel ever become not an obstacle again for me, I will definitely try to receive these teachings.

Best of luck to you.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

pema tsultrim wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:35 am I do not believe there is a mantra accumulation prerequisite.
Yup, there is.
sato

Post by sato »

that's really grand! thank you very much pema tsultrim, that is all I want to know.
sato

Post by sato »

I have one more question: during the Namcho Tsalung course is there a tummo practice only or other dzogrim practices, like milam, bardo, osal, powa, gyu lu and so on ?
pema tsultrim

Post by pema tsultrim »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:46 am
pema tsultrim wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:35 am I do not believe there is a mantra accumulation prerequisite.
Yup, there is.
Malcom, do you mean that there is a mantra accumulation requirement as a part of the Namcho tsa lung instructions, or that one must complete before one will be allowed to receive the Namcho Tsa Lung instructions in the Palyul NY or Namdroling 40 day retreat? If the latter, are you referring to the accumulation of Om Mani Peme Hung from the Avaloiteshvara in the Six Realms sadhana?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

pema tsultrim wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:43 pm
Yup, there is.
Malcom, do you mean that there is a mantra accumulation requirement as a part of the Namcho tsa lung instructions, or that one must complete before one will be allowed to receive the Namcho Tsa Lung instructions in the Palyul NY or Namdroling 40 day retreat? If the latter, are you referring to the accumulation of Om Mani Peme Hung from the Avaloiteshvara in the Six Realms sadhana?
Generally, as I understood it at the time, you have to complete Trowa Roza beforehand.
pema tsultrim

Post by pema tsultrim »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:48 pm

Yup, there is.
Generally, as I understood it at the time, you have to complete Trowa Roza beforehand.
Thanks for clarifying, Malcom. Is it okay if I ask when and where you were able to receive those precious teachings?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

pema tsultrim wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:56 pm
Malcolm wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:48 pm

Thanks for clarifying, Malcom. Is it okay if I ask when and where you were able to receive those precious teachings?
I didn't, but I was there in the first year retreat with Penor Rinpoche. I was unable to return, for various reasons. Obstacles.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Trowo Roza=a form of Gyalwa Gyamtso?
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

conebeckham wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:45 pm Trowo Roza=a form of Gyalwa Gyamtso?
Wrathful Corpse eater? Somehow I don't think so. :-)
Kunzang Tobgyal

Post by Kunzang Tobgyal »

conebeckham wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:45 pm Trowo Roza=a form of Gyalwa Gyamtso?
When I received Trowo Roza from Palyul Khenchen Teswang, I was told that it was simply a wrathful manifestation of Chenrezig.
Charlie123

Post by Charlie123 »

Kunzang Tobgyal wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:05 am
When I received Trowo Roza from Palyul Khenchen Teswang, I was told that it was simply a wrathful manifestation of Chenrezig.
Khenchen Tsewang Gyatso is awesome.
Guru Dragpo

Post by Guru Dragpo »

http://retreat.palyul.org/retreat-2020-announcement

Hello. In Namcho Tsalung there is a Guru Yoga practice and Idam practice and Tumo practice.
Kunzang Tobgyal

Post by Kunzang Tobgyal »

mandog wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:17 am
Kunzang Tobgyal wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:05 am
Khenchen Tsewang Gyatso is awesome.

Agreed.
Cinnabar

Post by Cinnabar »

I was always drawn to those retreats (upstate NY), but really couldn't commit to doing another full ngondro to participate.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Cinnabar wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:02 pm I was always drawn to those retreats (upstate NY), but really couldn't commit to doing another full ngondro to participate.
You can talk with the teachers and see if you have to do one more or just small amount of accumulations or etc.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Formerly known as Miroku.
Cinnabar

Post by Cinnabar »

I was told one has to do the whole ngondro again to participate.
Könchok Thrinley wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:40 pm
Cinnabar wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:02 pm I was always drawn to those retreats (upstate NY), but really couldn't commit to doing another full ngondro to participate.
You can talk with the teachers and see if you have to do one more or just small amount of accumulations or etc.

Return to “Nyingma”