Burning Dharma Materials

Punya

Re: Burning Dharma Materials

Post by Punya »

Dechen Norbu wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:14 pm It's always good to remember that mostly it's our attitude that counts. Our respect towards Dharma that arises spontaneously when we start to give it the proper appreciation. The way we dispose of these materials must reflect that and will very naturally. That seems more important than the practicalities that come after. :smile:
Yes, I think this is the most important.

I have been pondering this for a while. I don't have time for soaking and paper mache. What do you think about shredding (via machine) and composting dharma materials? I'm thinking mostly of materials printed from the web, but also texts printed out for particular events. Burning just seems so environmentally irresponsible these days. Wouldn't the little creatures who live in the compost and the garden gain some benefit?
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Tradition is to burn those things like pictures if necessary like if they are damaged or something. Doesn't your temple have a free literature table, if the pictures are still in good condition then why not put them there?
For books you should leave them at bus stations and waiting rooms.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I brought a shredder and shred them and then put them in for recycling.

Sometimes (if you live in a heavily urbanised area) burning is not an option.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Punya

Post by Punya »

Thanks Greg.

Maybe I can ask this question in another way: Is the burning of unwanted dharma materials specified in sutras or is it simply tradition?
~Chatral Rinpoche
humble.student

Post by humble.student »

Punya wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 4:26 amMaybe I can ask this question in another way: Is the burning of unwanted dharma materials specified in sutras or is it simply tradition?
You may want to read the first part of Dorji Wangchuk's article on "biblioclasm" or "libricide" since he mentions the ritual disposal of books. https://www.academia.edu/20274718/Wangc ... n_Buddhism_
(Scroll down past the introduction).

It is clear that intention is everything.
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

A nice resource:

https://sakyatemple.org/disposal-of-unn ... materials/

They may even have a way of incinerating metal items.

If I’m not mistaken they said that they did, when I emailed them some time back.
Punya

Post by Punya »

Thank you Sadhaka. I'm unfortunately not located in the Americas, but this may help others.
~Chatral Rinpoche
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Punya wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 10:45 pm Thank you Sadhaka. I'm unfortunately not located in the Americas, but this may help others.
Then just take it to the temple and use the burner
Punya

Post by Punya »

No temple, no burner. And vajrayana texts cannot be just randomly be left on literature tables anyway. I guess I'll end up burning them and contributing to both greenhouse gases and worsening the asthma hazards in my home town. :roll:
~Chatral Rinpoche
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Punya wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 2:07 pm No temple, no burner. And vajrayana texts cannot be just randomly be left on literature tables anyway. I guess I'll end up burning them and contributing to both greenhouse gases and worsening the asthma hazards in my home town. :roll:
You can cook some potatoes in the fire - but this needs some tin foil for the potatoes. Is this inappropriate as well?
Burn them at night, it looks very nicely.
humble.student

Post by humble.student »

Punya wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 2:07 pm No temple, no burner. And vajrayana texts cannot be just randomly be left on literature tables anyway. I guess I'll end up burning them and contributing to both greenhouse gases and worsening the asthma hazards in my home town. :roll:
Try a shredder or waste-paper recycling facility. Many cities have free services like this. I've just seen a Chinese (Taiwanese, but let's not quibble) Dharma text which has a little colophon saying that if it's not possible to bring it to a temple for ritual disposal, then packing it off into the recycling bin with a prayer is also fine.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

humble.student wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 5:25 pm a Chinese (Taiwanese, but let's not quibble)
:crazy:
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Lama Zopa and the fpmt suggest an alternative to burning the materials. Like birdhouses can be made into hanging stupas

https://www.lamayeshe.com/advice/burnin ... ing-sangha

https://fpmt.org/edu-news/caring-for-dh ... gital-age/

https://kadampa-center.org/care-dharma-materials
humble.student

Post by humble.student »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 5:32 pm
humble.student wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 5:25 pm a Chinese (Taiwanese, but let's not quibble)
:crazy:
The book was printed in Taiwan, and happened to be written in Chinese. Is there an issue?
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

humble.student wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 5:35 amIs there an issue?
No issue.
thanks for clarifying:
humble.student wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 5:35 amThe book was printed in Taiwan
:thumbsup:
humble.student

Post by humble.student »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 5:47 am
humble.student wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 5:35 amIs there an issue?
No issue.
thanks for clarifying:
humble.student wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 5:35 amThe book was printed in Taiwan
:thumbsup:
;)

Just kidding mate.
Aku

Post by Aku »

You could sell the books to a second-hand bookshop or donate to Dharma Centers.
Punya

Post by Punya »

Yes, I'm planning to donate some books to a local dharma centre.

Thanks for everyone's input about the papers. I bought a shredder. :smile:
~Chatral Rinpoche
yogini

Post by yogini »

I live in an apt. in the city, there is no safe way to burn discarded materials, without risk of causing a fire, or harming others with the smoke. I think intention is most important, respect for the dharma as well as others. In this spirit, I have decided to shred the materials, mostly printed from online, no books.

I believe it is important not to discard the word 'Buddah' and/or the names of other enlightened beings, as well as the dharma teachings. Once these are burned, or shredded, they no longer contain the names or teachings.

While I shred the items I follow Lama Zopa's advice for burning materials:

"When burning Dharma texts‭, ‬visualize that the letters of the texts to be burned transform into an‭ ‬AH‭ and the‭ ‬AH‭ ‬absorbs into your heart‭. ‬Imagine burning blank paper‭. ‬As you burn‭, ‬you can recite‭ ‬OM AH HUM‭ ‬or the‭ ‬Heart Sutra‭ ‬while meditating on emptiness‭."

I found the above here: https://fpmt.org/edu-news/caring-for-dh ... gital-age/

I will also shred the papers without any other non dharma items, using a clean shredder, and place them in a clean plastic bag, and then in the recycling bin (although I don't know if shredded paper is recycled in our apt. building) I also plan to play the recording of the Heart Sutra recitation by the Dalai Lama while doing this, found here: http://www.lamrim.com/archive/hhdl/mp3/ ... 051701.mp3. Recorded at Shoreline Amphitheater, Mountain View, CA

I hold the materials as sacred in my heart, and handle them with respect which I believe is key.
Hope this is acceptable and that this may help someone in the same situation.
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

As another side issue, what do we do with surplus, unwanted or damaged dharma texts and materials printed on plasticized paper? Even in circumstances where you can have a bonfire (or even more or less have to in rural settings) these should not be burnt. Unless they can go into a very high-temperature incinerator burning them is really an environmental no-no.
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."

Return to “Nyingma”