Shabkar's books

Pero

Shabkar's books

Post by Pero »

So does anyone have the two books below? What did you think of them? Are the songs in the style of pith instructions or like drinking songs or something? Is the autobiography like that of Dudjom Lingpa?

The Life Of Shabkar
Songs of Shabkar
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
heart

Re: Shabkar's books

Post by heart »

Pero wrote:So does anyone have the two books below? What did you think of them? Are the songs in the style of pith instructions or like drinking songs or something? Is the autobiography like that of Dudjom Lingpa?

The Life Of Shabkar
Songs of Shabkar
He was a monk and ngakpa, didn't drink or have women, so hardly any drinking songs :smile: . I have Life of Shakbar and it is very interesting until he gets famous.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
deff

Post by deff »

i just started 'the life of Shabkar' a few days ago and am really enjoying it so far. i haven't read Dudjom Lingpa's biography so i can't compare them...
Pero

Post by Pero »

heart wrote:He was a monk and ngakpa, didn't drink or have women, so hardly any drinking songs :smile: . I have Life of Shakbar and it is very interesting ..
How could it be interesting, you just said he didn't have women and didn't drink? :D
In any case I ordered it so I'll soon see.
deff wrote: i just started 'the life of Shabkar' a few days ago and am really enjoying it so far. i haven't read Dudjom Lingpa's biography so i can't compare them...
Well, Dudjom Lingpa's is kind of uhm, magical I guess. Lots of descriptions of visions/dreams and magic.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
deff

Post by deff »

so far there's not too much magic :smile: spare a couple visions and some clairvoyance - but most of it seems to be based around practical Dharma advice, i'm enjoying it :smile:
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

His Life is very inspiring, a truly non-sectarian bodhisattva.

His lamrim-like work of 23 Q & A in prose and verse is coming out in a few months from Shambhala:

https://www.banyen.com/products/emanate ... -manjushri

In Appendix 5 of Ricard's translation of his Life are summaries of his principal works. Not many (3 or 4?) have been put into English
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Kris

Post by Kris »

'Songs of Shabkar' is marvelous! It centers it's songs around specific themes; impermanence, nature, happiness, meditative experiences etc.
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Here is how Shabkar begins his Emanated Scripture of Manjushri:
Homage to the Guru Manjughosha

Churned by Mount Meru, the maker of waves, the ocean of the two accumulations gave rise to the bright,
stainless sun of the major and minor marks.
Youthful Siddhartha—victorious emanation kaya—
You rise like a sun for the glory of those to be tamed in this threefold world;
Your brilliance clears away the darkness of confusion and causes lotus buds of benefit and bliss to bloom.
The wish-fulfilling jewel of your teaching, mighty and majestic, is the source of all joy.
Thoroughly cleansed of all traces of ignorance, misunderstanding, and distortion—through explanation,
debate and composition—it was mounted at the top of a victory banner.
When the offerings of hearing, thinking, and meditation are made, accomplishments, both common and
extraordinary, will shower down.

Manjushri and Maitreya, heirs to the eradicator of spiritual poverty;
Nagarjuna, Asanga, and the rest—masters and adepts of India, you are all worthy of homage!
Like wish-granting gems, your amazing teachings have fully relieved the poverty of both samsara and nirvana.

Subsequently the dharma king, translators, and scholars endured many hardships to gather them here in the
snowy land of Tibet.
Reflecting on their kindness, who could remain unmoved?

Padmasambhava, the great master who achieved the deathless vajra kaya;
Incomparable Atisha, keeper of the treasury of Buddha’s teachings;
And, Omniscient Lobsang Drakpa, surely you are the second Buddha!
Each of you came and increased the teachings, source of benefit and bliss;
You also gave comfort and happiness to beings.
Reflecting on your kindness, who wouldn’t wish to imitate you?
Having opened the jewel casket of instructions, you have been most generous with the contents.

Precious teachers, you have been kinder to me than the Buddha himself.
Allow me to offer you the accomplishment of my practice!
As the time of our demise is uncertain, I have accordingly prepared an opulent feast of the wondrous
teachings I have received through the kindness of my Gurus.

Fortunate children of my heart, respectfully enjoy it!
Nicholas Weeks

Emanated Scripture of Manjushri

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Here are the topics covered and their sequence:
Opening Homage and Prologue

1. The Necessity of Giving Up the World
2. How to Rely upon a Spiritual Teacher: A Ninefold Perception
3. Identifying a Precious Human Birth: The Eight Freedoms and Ten Endowments
4. Death and Impermanence: Three Roots, Nine Reasons, and Three Conclusions
5. Basic Ethics: The Ten Virtuous Actions and Their Counterparts, the Ten Negative Actions
6. The Dissatisfactory Nature of Samsara
7. The Importance of Ethics
8. How to Establish Genuine Compassion
9. Nurturing Love and Compassion: The Eight Thoughts of a Great and Noble Being
10. The Cultivation of Bodhichitta
11. On Taking the Bodhisattva’s Vow: The Four Black and Four White Deeds
12. The Bodhisattva’s Vow: The Six Perfections and the Four Means of Gathering Disciples
13. An Explanation of Langri Thangpa’s Eight Verses of Mind Training
14. The Cultivation of Calm Abiding
15. Methods for Achieving Special Insight
16. The Need for Both Calm Abiding and Special Insight
17. How to Practice a Union of Relative and Ultimate Bodhichitta
18. Ultimate Bodhichitta
19. Mahamudra: A Teaching on the Nature of Mind, Based on the Songs of Milarepa
20. Buddhahood without Meditation
21. How to Prepare for, Practice in, and Gain Accomplishment in the Various In-between Bardo States
22. The Benefit of Retreat
23. Encouragement to Adopt a Nonsectarian Outlook and Concluding Advice
24. Conclusion of the Teachings at Kailash
25. Afterword
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

From the first chapter on giving up the world:
I replied [to Lobsang Tsering], “If, from the very depths of your being, you wish to practice the pure Dharma, you must practice
in accordance with the example set by the perfect Buddha and perpetuated by a stream of accomplished
gurus, up to and including your own root master. Initially, it is necessary to abandon the concerns of this
life. If these are not put aside, not only will it be difficult for you to practice perfectly, you will also fall
prey to negative actions, suffering, and reproach.

The Collected Sayings of Potawa say:
The sign of not practicing the Dharma is not having renounced this life.

Shawopa remarked:
When the concerns of this life are many, we may feel ill at ease, wander around, and the
three—negative action, suffering, and reproach—strike simultaneously.

Geshe Tonpa once asked Atisha, ‘Please explain the results of action motivated by thoughts of this life’s
happiness, personal gain, and renown?’ The elder replied, ‘Just that.’ ‘What, then,’ he continued, ‘will
occur in the future?’ ‘The realms of hell, of hungry spirits, and of animals,’ came the reply.
“Abandoning the concerns of this life, all the happiness, well-being, and renown of the dharma,
samsara, and nirvana will simultaneously occur."

The Collected Sayings of Potawa mentions:
In learning harmonics, initially the sound ‘ei’ is a difficult note to master but with
perseverance it becomes easier. Similarly, when beginning to practice the Dharma, the
initial abandonment of the concerns of this life is hard. However, once this is done and
with continual practice, it becomes easier.

The Buddha said:
If you desire every bliss,
Thoroughly abandon all your desires.
By giving up desire,
Supreme bliss is won!

Return to “Nyingma”