Deity outside of sadhana

Miroku

Deity outside of sadhana

Post by Miroku » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:26 pm

Hello,

I would like to ask whether it is possible to practice a deity outside of sadhana, by which I mean just visualizing yourself as the deity (after refuge and bodhicita ofcourse) then doing mantra, then dissolve and dedicate, without having any specific sadhana.

For example today I received via webcast a white tara empowerment from Garchen rinpoche and would very much like to practice it, however I don't know if I can practice according to the sadhana called "refined drop of immortality" and there was no lung of any sadhana, so can I just visualize myself as white tara? Or was some sadhana transmitted with the empowerment?
Child, if you are not hypocritical and out of control, that is conduct.
~ Padampa Sangye

Monlam Tharchin

Re: Deity outside of sadhana

Post by Monlam Tharchin » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:56 pm

Isn't such a practice just divine pride?
Namo Amitabha Buddha

Soma999

Post by Soma999 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:15 pm

Personaly, that's what i do when i don't have much time. I generate the deity instantly without any specific recitation, perform recitation of the mantra, dissolve the visualisation, rest in meditation a little and dedicate.

I call upon the wisdom aspect of the deity immediatly. If i have difficulty with visual details, i generate the feeling the deity is present, and i dive into this sensation without puting tension in visual details.

I find the recitation of the Heart sutra before a practice bring something, and it only takes a minute.

All deity are one, and all deity are one with the Guru which is a principle both outside and inside. And also all that is one with your own wisdom mind.

jkarlins

Post by jkarlins » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:19 pm

Yeah, definitely.

Jake

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:20 pm

Miroku wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:26 pm
Hello,

I would like to ask whether it is possible to practice a deity outside of sadhana, by which I mean just visualizing yourself as the deity (after refuge and bodhicita ofcourse) then doing mantra, then dissolve and dedicate, without having any specific sadhana.

For example today I received via webcast a white tara empowerment from Garchen rinpoche and would very much like to practice it, however I don't know if I can practice according to the sadhana called "refined drop of immortality" and there was no lung of any sadhana, so can I just visualize myself as white tara? Or was some sadhana transmitted with the empowerment?
usually the lung comes with the jenang.
Atikosha
Tibetan Medicine Blog
Sudarsana Mandala, Tibetan Medicine and Herbs
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Free of hope and fear, relax.
Human life spent in
a state of great spaciousness is enjoyable.

— Kunzang Dechen Lingpa

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:25 pm

Best if you can get the sadhana, instructions, and do the practice. But if you're taking this as a yidam you should be recollecting yourself always as the deity. In the Kagyu traditions most deity yogas are gradual, but there are elements of instant self-generation in most sadhanas as well. I don't think there's anything wrong with your approach, but divine pride will be more stable if you commit to formal sessions using the sadhana.

You could also ask if other White Tara sadhanas would be appropriate. There are quite a few out there; I'm fond of Kongtrul's Daily Yoga.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

Miroku

Post by Miroku » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:58 pm

Thank you all for you replies. :-)

Unfortunately it seems there was no mentioning of any specific sadhana during the empowerment. So I will try to email Garchen institute, however I doubt they will know.

Thank you all very much.
~ Padampa Sangye

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:05 pm

Miroku wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:58 pm
Thank you all for you replies. :-)

Unfortunately it seems there was no mentioning of any specific sadhana during the empowerment. So I will try to email Garchen institute, however I doubt they will know.

Thank you all very much.

There's one called "Refined Drop of Immortality: A Longevity Maṇḍala Practice of Ārya Tārā, the Wish-Granting Cakra" that I think is the main one GR's students use. You can find it online.
Through Dzogchen we can really understand what God is and we don’t have to worry if there is a God or not. God always exists as our real nature, the base, for everybody. - Chögyal Namkhai Norbu

Miroku

Post by Miroku » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:45 pm

dzogchungpa wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:05 pm
There's one called "Refined Drop of Immortality: A Longevity Maṇḍala Practice of Ārya Tārā, the Wish-Granting Cakra" that I think is the main one GR's students use. You can find it online.
Oh, I found that one! Is it okay to use that one? Do you have some experience with this practice?
~ Padampa Sangye

heart

Post by heart » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:38 pm

Miroku wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:45 pm
dzogchungpa wrote:
Oh, I found that one! Is it okay to use that one? Do you have some experience with this practice?
This sadhana is written by Garchen Rinpoche himself.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:39 pm

Miroku wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:45 pm
dzogchungpa wrote:
I have not done it. I'm sure it is OK to use it. If you contact the GR people I'm sure they will respond. Also, it seems you can hear some teachings about this sadhana here: http://www.dharma-media.org/mfs6.php?mediaID=00000152
Through Dzogchen we can really understand what God is and we don’t have to worry if there is a God or not. God always exists as our real nature, the base, for everybody. - Chögyal Namkhai Norbu

Miroku

Post by Miroku » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:44 pm

Once again. Thank you so much! :twothumbsup:
~ Padampa Sangye