Lama Jampa Thaye

visitor_001

Lama Jampa Thaye

Post by visitor_001 »

I am nearing the completion of my second foundational practice, Vajrasattva Purification. I need to receive the lung and instructions for Mandala Offerings and have chosen to receive these from Lama Jampa Thaye (who I understand carries the transmission of the Karma Kagyu).

My preliminary investigations all seem to indicate Lama Jampa Thaye is a well respected and excellent Lama.

Could anyone with direct experience of Lama Jampa Thaye share their experiences of him?

Many thanks.
Tenma

Re: Lama Jampa Thaye

Post by Tenma »

visitor_001 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:36 pm I am nearing the completion of my second foundational practice, Vajrasattva Purification. I need to receive the lung and instructions for Mandala Offerings and have chosen to receive these from Lama Jampa Thaye (who I understand carries the transmission of the Karma Kagyu).

My preliminary investigations all seem to indicate Lama Jampa Thaye is a well respected and excellent Lama.

Could anyone with direct experience of Lama Jampa Thaye share their experiences of him?

Many thanks.
He's an authentic lama. My refuge lama, Lama Kunga Thartse Rinpoche of the Ewam Choden, has invited him at times to teach.
visitor_001

Post by visitor_001 »

Thank you Tenma. That's exactly what I was hoping to hear.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

visitor_001 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:36 pm I am nearing the completion of my second foundational practice, Vajrasattva Purification. I need to receive the lung and instructions for Mandala Offerings and have chosen to receive these from Lama Jampa Thaye (who I understand carries the transmission of the Karma Kagyu).

Many thanks.
No direct, but I know others I respect regard him highly. I also checked carefully and would be happy to receive empowerments etc. from him, but haven't yet done so. He has hosted HH Sakya Trizin recently.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
visitor_001

Post by visitor_001 »

Thank you, Mantrik.

This is all very positive. I'm looking forward to meeting him.

Thanks again.
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

Not to bring up a spectre on your path, but i would consider carefully when it comes to Karma Kagyu lamas. Due to the lineage split decades ago, certain lamas have certain allegiances, and many practitioners do, too.

I personally went from OTD's camp staunchly to meeting lots of solid practitioners from TTD's camp and came to realize that we can all get along if not for a few polarizing figures and thw issues they've brought.

Just be aware that Lama Jampa Thaye may side a certain way, or may even abstain from acknowledging and following either (I honestly have no idea where he stands on this). Either way there is usually a certain amount of polarization that'll happen with that aspect of the sangha.

I'm glad I've gotten some distance from it, personally. And i wish you all the best on your journey. May all be auspicious!

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Either way there is usually a certain amount of polarization that'll happen with that aspect of the sangha.
Yeah I think you could say that, as long as it is said as a generalization and not a hard and fast rule. For instance I’m in one camp and Greg is in the other. I certainly don’t think badly of Greg for it. I respect him and his practice.

Suffice it to say that I don’t think all Kagyu lamas should be dismissed because of that lama drama, sad though it may be.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
passel

Post by passel »

If you focused on learning Sakya from him you could sidestep the aforementioned awkwardness to some degree, if that’s an option. And that’s assuming you don’t want to get involved in center-school alliances and feuds. Plenty of people actually do- or else they’re driven to it when just Sila-Samadhi-Prajna gets boring which is most of the time.
"I have made a heap of all that I have met"- Svetonious
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

passel wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:47 am If you focused on learning Sakya from him you could sidestep the aforementioned awkwardness to some degree, if that’s an option.
As far as I know there is no problem with this Lama taking sides in any way.

The focus here should be on entering into a samaya relationship with a Guru.

The Guru is the focus, and I can't see how it would be possible to decide some of his teaching is wholesome and other teaching to be avoided.

philji

Post by philji »

As has been said most of not all reports of this Lama are positive. However the only query i have and it is really not important as i don't study with him is the fact that he does not encourage you to go to other teachers. I know someone who was involved with Dechen community and she was discouraged from going to India / BodhGaya or even to other centres in UK as Lama Jampa could provide everything she needed in respect of teachings( his words). Also he does seem to favour the high thrones and special treatment as if he is a rinpoche. I would feel uncomfortable with this.
Tsongkhapafan

Post by Tsongkhapafan »

philji wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:40 am As has been said most of not all reports of this Lama are positive. However the only query i have and it is really not important as i don't study with him is the fact that he does not encourage you to go to other teachers. I know someone who was involved with Dechen community and she was discouraged from going to India / BodhGaya or even to other centres in UK as Lama Jampa could provide everything she needed in respect of teachings( his words). Also he does seem to favour the high thrones and special treatment as if he is a rinpoche. I would feel uncomfortable with this.
Without personal experience of this Teacher, is it is a good idea to criticise? The internet is rife with rumours and criticism. If Lama Thaye did say that he could provide everything the student needed, perhaps it's true! If he is presenting a complete path to enlightenment then it is true. We have to believe that each tradition has its own complete path, so why would you need another?

It's my view that we should practise our own tradition while respecting all others because this leads to harmony.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

philji wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:40 am As has been said most of not all reports of this Lama are positive. However the only query i have and it is really not important as i don't study with him is the fact that he does not encourage you to go to other teachers. I know someone who was involved with Dechen community and she was discouraged from going to India / BodhGaya or even to other centres in UK as Lama Jampa could provide everything she needed in respect of teachings( his words). Also he does seem to favour the high thrones and special treatment as if he is a rinpoche. I would feel uncomfortable with this.
This would be illogical as he invites many other teachers including HHST to visit his groups and teach them. In that sense only, he may have advised that since many other teachers are available to Dechen, then Dechen could provide a very diverse experience and as a Guru provide all they need by way of a path. I don't know the person you quote - perhaps he decided she was not someone with a history of chasing rainbows and seeking saviours.

As for visiting other centres in the UK, for a type of particular person, I can easily see a reason for the advice. In Bristol, where there is a Dechen centre, most other main centres are run by dodgy cults. ;) Those from legit organisations there, such as Lam Rim, have no problem mixing with Dechen followers and I know of no deterrence.
Last edited by Mantrik on Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

philji

Post by philji »

Thanks, I was not intending to criticize just lose a question. Sorry for any offence.
Mantrik wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:44 pm
This would be illogical as he invites many other teachers including HHST to visit his groups and teach them. In that sense only, he may have advised that since many other teachers are available to Dechen, then Dechen could provide a very diverse experience and as a Guru provide all they need by way of a path. I don't know the person you quote - perhaps he decided she was not someone with a history of chasing rainbows and seeking saviours.

As for visiting other centres in the UK, for a type of particular person, I can easily see a reason for the advice. In Bristol, where there is a Dechen centre, other main centres are run by dodgy cults. ;) Those from legit organisations there, such as Lam Rim, have no problem mixing with Dechen followers and I know of no deterrence.
SuryaMitra

Post by SuryaMitra »

I have received many teachings and empowerment from Lama Jampa Thaye. He`s a very respected lama , very knowledgeable and He is Sakya/Kagyu.His teaching style is very traditional, yet as the same time very clear and accessible. Highly recommended. He also invited many great lamas to teach in his centers from Kagyu,Sakya and Nyingma traditions. I don`t know if you have any particular connection with either of the Karmapas...Lama Jampa Thaye , as far as I am aware, respects both, and stay away from politics and so on, however the one He follows is Karmapa Thaye Dorje. All the best !!! http://www.dechen.org/about/#/lama-jampa-thaye/
Gatinho

Post by Gatinho »

philji wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:01 pm Thanks, I was not intending to criticize just lose a question. Sorry for any offence.
Mantrik wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:44 pm

As for visiting other centres in the UK, for a type of particular person, I can easily see a reason for the advice. In Bristol, where there is a Dechen centre, other main centres are run by dodgy cults. ;) Those from legit organisations there, such as Lam Rim, have no problem mixing with Dechen followers and I know of no deterrence.
Without wishing to speak for Lama Jampa himself I would say the following. He is an extremely open, positive and helpful person, someone who walks the walk of dharma if you like. But when it comes to teaching dharma he is quite strict about the things you mention. He works within the lineage of his main teachers (including HHST) and works to preserve this pure lineage tradition. Because of this he does discourage people 'shopping around' once they have settled in Dechen. I think perhaps, this is because he sees this as the most effective way of 'working'. I guess as a student you have to choose - are you happy to stick to these teachers and these texts? and if not - well, walk away. It is at least a safeguard against the eclecticism and window shopping that does go on these days.

As to high thrones - I think this goes back to not wanting to change anything in traditional practice until buddhadharma is properly embedded in the west. We I think he has defined as being when western masters have been born and died in our culture - when I assume western etiquette and so on will be adopted.

As with everything you should make a careful examination before diving in (for 12 years perhaps?) and then own the decision (supposing one was thinking of going to any lama I mean).
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Gatinho wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:46 pm Without wishing to speak for Lama Jampa himself I would say the following. He is an extremely open, positive and helpful person, someone who walks the walk of dharma if you like. But when it comes to teaching dharma he is quite strict about the things you mention. He works within the lineage of his main teachers (including HHST) and works to preserve this pure lineage tradition. Because of this he does discourage people 'shopping around' once they have settled in Dechen. I think perhaps, this is because he sees this as the most effective way of 'working'. I guess as a student you have to choose - are you happy to stick to these teachers and these texts? and if not - well, walk away. It is at least a safeguard against the eclecticism and window shopping that does go on these days.

As to high thrones - I think this goes back to not wanting to change anything in traditional practice until buddhadharma is properly embedded in the west. We I think he has defined as being when western masters have been born and died in our culture - when I assume western etiquette and so on will be adopted.

As with everything you should make a careful examination before diving in (for 12 years perhaps?) and then own the decision (supposing one was thinking of going to any lama I mean).
I was with you until the last paragraph.
I'd love to know how many Westerners observed and examined a Lama for 12 years before becoming their student. Any? I think this was perhaps the very first bit of advice to be abandoned. The Western approach, right or wrong, seems to be a bit like dating a few people before choosing a life partner.

As this Lama already transmits Kagyu and Sakya lineages and invites others to teach at his centres, Dechen does probably offer a complete path with choices along the way.

However, the key is to return to the point that we should focus on the Guru above all else. I think the OP has received enough info to decide if this one is well respected.

Gatinho

Post by Gatinho »

Mantrik wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:46 pm
Gatinho wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:46 pm Without wishing to speak for Lama Jampa himself I would say the following. He is an extremely open, positive and helpful person, someone who walks the walk of dharma if you like. But when it comes to teaching dharma he is quite strict about the things you mention. He works within the lineage of his main teachers (including HHST) and works to preserve this pure lineage tradition. Because of this he does discourage people 'shopping around' once they have settled in Dechen. I think perhaps, this is because he sees this as the most effective way of 'working'. I guess as a student you have to choose - are you happy to stick to these teachers and these texts? and if not - well, walk away. It is at least a safeguard against the eclecticism and window shopping that does go on these days.

I was with you until the last paragraph.
I'd love to know how many Westerners observed and examined a Lama for 12 years before becoming their student. Any? I think this was perhaps the very first bit of advice to be abandoned. The Western approach, right or wrong, seems to be a bit like dating a few people before choosing a life partner.

As this Lama already transmits Kagyu and Sakya lineages and invites others to teach at his centres, Dechen does probably offer a complete path with choices along the way.

However, the key is to return to the point that we should focus on the Guru above all else. I think the OP has received enough info to decide if this one is well respected.
LOL yes I put 12 years in brackets with a question mark because I do realise that this traditional period is probably not what people can do these days. In any case - a period of time should be spent examining the teacher before making a serious commitment - which I am sure you agree is appropriate and wise.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Gatinho wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:16 pm
LOL yes I put 12 years in brackets with a question mark because I do realise that this traditional period is probably not what people can do these days. In any case - a period of time should be spent examining the teacher before making a serious commitment - which I am sure you agree is appropriate and wise.
Oh yes, indeedy! There are threads on here right now about the harm people have suffered through the wrong choice.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I think the 12 years cited applied to a very different culture to that of the modern west. An individual could take their time while being surrounded by a culture which in general terms supported things Dharmic. Not so in the west where support for being a practitioner is not found outside of established sanghas.

Just to add an endorsement for Lama Jampa. He is on good terms with both HH Sakya Trizin and Thrangu Rinpoche. He is widely admired for his adherence to traditional dharma and his conscientiousness as a teacher.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

Simon E. wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:07 pm I think the 12 years cited applied to a very different culture to that of the modern west. An individual could take their time while being surrounded by a culture which in general terms supported things Dharmic. Not so in the west where support for being a practitioner is not found outside of established sanghas.

Just to add an endorsement for Lama Jampa. He is on good terms with both HH Sakya Trizin and Thrangu Rinpoche. He is widely admired for his adherence to traditional dharma and his conscientiousness as a teacher.
No, no. That's 12 in dog years.

I have never heard anything bad about Lama Jampa. On the contrary, most people come away impressed. His guru Karma Thinley Rinpoche is exceptional and from what I hear thinks highly of him.
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava

Return to “Kagyu”