Murder of Akong Rinpoche & Entourage

DGA
Former staff member

Re: Killing of Akong Rinpoche & Entourage

Post by DGA »

ReasonAndRhyme wrote:
Since the word "assassination" was only used by mistake could maybe one of the moderators change the thread's title into "killing" or "homicide"?
Done.

Also: this thread is temporarily locked for a badly-needed cleanup. thank you for your understanding.
DGA
Former staff member

Re: Murder of Akong Rinpoche & Entourage

Post by DGA »

I have reopened the thread in the hope that any harm caused by the posts that have been removed from view may be mended. Please continue your discussion in a way that reflects the heaviness and seriousness of this topic, and be respectful particularly of the feelings of those who have lost a dear guru, teacher, and leader.

:buddha2:
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Thank you Jikan....much appreciated.
s.
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

Akong Rinpoche really paved the way for many of the first generation of lamas to come to the West. We all owe him a debt of gratitude as a "trailblazer".
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

I always knew Rinpoche was special, but some of the things that are happening all over the world are immense. Yesterday I sent a copy of the re-birth prayer composed by Gyalwa Karmapa to one of my teachers who is working as a Drupon. The retreat centre doesn't have printing facilities, so he has hand written the prayer, and Chagme Rinpoche's one, to give to all his students in retreat. He also said that in between thuns, he will offer butterlamps and recite the prayers. This level of kindness really is a mirror of the kindness Akong Rinoche showed to us all.
"It's not ok to practice Dharma sometimes, just when you feel like it. You have to practice all the time" - Lama Rigzin Rinpoche.
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

:good:

Is there anywhere that the English translations of both swift rebirth prayers are available (preferrably with the U-chen)? Thus far I've only seen the original Tibetan typed up on Karmapa's letterhead, but I'm admittedly a very poor excuse for a translator.

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

Köncho tsasum jamtsö chintop tang
Lalop dédam tsangmay tendrel ji
Tendrö palgön yangtrul nyinmor chay
Dulchay döndu laryang char war sho

Through the blessing power of an ocean of the Three Jewels and the Three Roots
And that of the interdependence of pure faith and pure samaya of lama and follower,
May the shining daylight of this magnificent guide and protector of the teachings and of beings
Rise as a new incarnation to shine once again, thus bringing benefit to those to be trained.

This “swift return” prayer for Chöjé Akong Tulku Rinpoché was composed by the Karmapa Orgyen Trinley on the 16th of October 2013 according to the heartfelt requests of his disciples and many others.

thanks for this goes to stewart. i received this from him through email.

:anjali:
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
Palzang Jangchub

Awesome! Thank you both :thanks:

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Nice item about Rinpoche as part of the BBC's weekly obituary programme ' Last Word ' on R4.
For those who missed it it will I assume, be available on the BBC Listen Again service.

:namaste:
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Palzang Jangchub

For those not already aware, there is a biographical film about Akong Rinpoche which was already in the works before the tragic events recently. This is actually what made me aware of Rinpoche, who was previously unknown to me.

They are still trying to raise the funds necessary to complete the film, so if you can contribute in any way, please do so in honor of Rinpoche's memory so that others may come to know his legacy and generate bodhicitta.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/akong ... kable-life

phpBB [video]

Glyn

Post by Glyn »

Karma Jinpa wrote: I'm admittedly a very poor excuse for a translator.
Where did you train as a translator? Who do you translate for?
"It's not ok to practice Dharma sometimes, just when you feel like it. You have to practice all the time" - Lama Rigzin Rinpoche.
Palzang Jangchub

Glyn wrote:
Karma Jinpa wrote: I'm admittedly a very poor excuse for a translator.
Where did you train as a translator? Who do you translate for?
:oops: Please forgive me for not being clear.

I'm an aspiring translator who hasn't had enough training to have any competency, but can muddle thru for the most part given a dictionary. A month at Rangjung Yeshe Institute doesn't a translator make.

Someday, perhaps. Would be lovely to travel with a lama or join a translation project like 84,000 (http://84000.co/)

Perhaps if I can go to the language program being offered next year in Namo Buddha, I'll be a bit closer to attaining that level. Seems about as far off as the Bodhisattva bhumis at this point.
:rolling:

Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

Further advice from Lama Yeshe Losal on Akong Rinpoche's passing:
Dear Friends,

It has taken me a little time to organise all the things I had to do here before I could write to let you all know my thoughts. Now that I’ve had time to reflect, it is time to let all dharma students know.

When I learnt the circumstances of my brother's death and the identities of those who killed him and his nephew and driver, I felt extremely sorry for them because it shows how one moment of misguided anger can ruin so many lives. So, instead of feeling angry I feel compassion for them and think about how much bad karma these misguided persons have created for themselves and others.

I would like to let all our dharma friends, who wish to do something for my brother and me, know that this is the time for forgiveness. We should all have the bodhisattva attitude of mind and feel compassion and forgiveness towards those responsible for Rinpoche’s death. I have been able to forgive and this is how I was freed from my suffering.

I would like all students to reflect that when we allow our negative mind to take over we become capable of doing evil things.

As students of Choje Akong Tulku Rinpoche we should be proud of our association with him because all across the Tibetan areas of China many hundreds of monasteries and many thousands of people are now doing prayers. In these areas, as elsewhere in the world, Rinpoche has been able to bring together people of all ages and walks of life.

We should be so proud because he has spent his whole life working for the benefit of others without any desire for his own wealth and comfort. It has been an honour to be part of his life and we should keep his legacy alive by supporting all his activities and especially his charitable projects.

Choje Akong Tulku Rinpoche was especially committed to providing education, healthcare and cultural preservation in the Tibetan areas of China, and I now earnestly request you all to support these ROKPA projects in particular.

I would like to share some beautiful words from a letter of commemoration of Rinpoche's activity, by the 18th Dulmo Choje Rinpoche:

"Saintly, noble being that you are, you worked diligently during your entire life to serve the Buddhadharma and all living beings. With an infinite kindness, greater even than a mother’s tender love, you nurtured a flock of countless orphans; with a love greater even than the care of a cherished son, you looked after the many old and invalid people who are helpless and with no one to support them; with the finest generosity and with no bias or preference, you bestowed the gift of fulfilling the needs and wishes of the weakest—the sick and the poor; with the aid you provided, you gave a renewed strength to the dharma and culture of Tibet that had become like a lamp with no more fuel."

Finally I would like to thank all of you who have sent messages of sympathy, I am overwhelmed by your kindness and understanding.

I urge you to keep a compassionate and positive mind, and let us now work together to continue Rinpoche's activity,

With every good wish,
Lama Yeshe Losal Rinpoche
This is not the wrong life.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I wish to apologize for my earlier reference to cause and effect. It was not my intention to belittle Akhong Rinpoche or to cause further grief. The truth is that I held Akhong Rinpoche in high regard and considered his activities those of a true bodhisattva.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Thanks Greg, appreciated.
s.
Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

Sherab Dorje wrote:I wish to apologize for my earlier reference to cause and effect. It was not my intention to belittle Akhong Rinpoche or to cause further grief. The truth is that I held Akhong Rinpoche in high regard and considered his activities those of a true bodhisattva.
Thank you, Greg.
Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

Further messages of condolence and support on Akong Rinpoche's passing from different teachers and organizations:

http://samyeling.org/index/news-app/sto ... nd-support
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Sherab Dorje wrote:I wish to apologize for my earlier reference to cause and effect. It was not my intention to belittle Akhong Rinpoche or to cause further grief. The truth is that I held Akhong Rinpoche in high regard and considered his activities those of a true bodhisattva.
Good man.
That's appreciated.. :namaste:
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

Another obit for Akong Rinpoche. This one by Vishvapani Blomfield (who's a leading figure in the Triratna Buddhist Community, I think) in the Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/o ... u-rinpoche

Return to “Kagyu”