Where have all the Kagyupas gone?

Natan

Re: Where have all the Kagyupas gone?

Post by Natan »

So ones talking about Niguma's lineage which is alive and well. Shangpa Kagyu. I know a young lama carries this on in Bhutan.
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Well, Shangpa Kagyu is a completely different lineage than any of the "greater" or "lesser" schools/lineages stemming from Marpa, through Mila and Gampopa.

"Kagyu" means, simply, "oral lineage." Or maybe "Word lineage."

In any case, the Shangpa Kagyu transmissions are alive and well, and actually are practiced in Karma Kagyu, Sakya, Gelukpa, Jonangpa, even by some Nyingma Lamas. Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche practiced Shangpa and even wrote a Monlam for the flourishing of the lineage.

But as an institution, it didn't last long after Khedrup Khyungpo Naljor's immediate disciples. There have been recent attempts to "re-institutionalize" it, but by and large it flourishes mainly amongst the students of the previous Kyabje Kalu Rinpoche, who dubbed his transmission the DakShang Kagyu, to symbolize both Dakpo (Gampopa) and Shangpa lineages.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Tom

Post by Tom »

Here is an interview with Gharwang Rinpoche about the Zurmang / Surmang Kagyu lineage. There interview touches on Trunga Rinpoche, Rechung Nyengyu and many wonderful stories about His Holiness the 16th Karmapa. Enjoy.

http://learn.wisdompubs.org/podcast/gharwang-rinpoche/
passel

Post by passel »

Tana Yelpa lineage- I don't know anything about it beyond what's in this link, but I'd suspect it will become more accessible to anglophone practitioners shortly:

https://tsoknyirinpoche.org/the-tana-ye ... -rinpoche/
"I have made a heap of all that I have met"- Svetonious

Return to “Kagyu”