Kagyu residential centers in the U.S.

Schrödinger’s Yidam

Kagyu residential centers in the U.S.

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

This is a bit of a copycat thread from another thread that's in the Nyingma forum. I'm interested in Kagyu places in the U.S. I can rent a room at for a few months at a time. City or country makes no difference to me. Having an on-site lama is a big plus. I know of 3 already:
Karma Triyana in N.Y.
Karma Thubten Choling in N.Y.
Vajra Vidhya retreat center in CO. (when there isn't a 3 year retreat underway)

I know there are lots of places in India, but I'm spoiled by flush toilets and water I can brush my teeth in.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
conebeckham

Re: Kagyu residential centers in the U.S.

Post by conebeckham »

Kagyu Droden Kunchab--SF
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Iconodule

Post by Iconodule »

KTC in Shamong, NJ is a big house with a bunch of bedrooms. It's officially the US residence of the Karmapa but, well, he's never there. I suspect if you asked you would be allowed to stay a while there- very nice people. It might help if you have some kind of referral. There is a lama in residence.
Enter eagerly into the treasure house that lies within you, and so you will see the treasure house of heaven. For the two are the same, and there is but on single entry to them both. The ladder that leads to the Kingdom is hidden within you, and is found in your soul. Dive into yourself, and in your soul you will discover the rungs by which you are to ascend. - Saint Isaac of Syria
lisasimmarco

Post by lisasimmarco »

Garchen center in AZ
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

Drong Ngur Jangchubling is a Drikung center in the Tampa, FL area where one can do extended retreat by resisting in one of the rooms in the temple or in one of the retreat huts on the grounds. Drupon Thinley Ningpo Rinpoche is the resident lama, and being a retreat master is eminently qualified to help guide you in your practice.

If you're interested in learning more, visit http://dnjus.org/resources/ and scroll down to Personal Retreat Documents, or else contact them directly.

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ

Return to “Kagyu”