comment on strange experience?

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Re: comment on strange experience?

Post by Grigoris » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:53 pm

lisasimmarco wrote:But what about the ones who were able to absorb the positive experience on the way and enhance their practice?
Those were the ones that followed their teachers advice and just treated the experiences with equanimity and kept on practicing.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

lisasimmarco

Post by lisasimmarco » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:03 am

Sherab Dorje,

With all due respect, in your very first post to me, you came on this board and baited me in a dismissive tone.

My sense is that you don't really want to dialogue with me: you have an ax to grind. There are wonderful nuances here to explore, but you are out just to win, saying the same thing over and over again.

From the Dalai Lama:

"The tendency to look at Buddhist techniques in black and white terms as if one particular technique is applicable everywhere, universally, without any qualification, must be avoided."

I came on the board to find out if anyone had had similar experiences, and perhaps how they had integrated them into their practice. I received some very useful information privately, as I said, and by the time you posted, I had already moved on.

If anyone would like to share their experiences, similar or not, I would love to know. Otherwise, I am finished.

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:43 am

lisasimmarco wrote:With all due respect, in your very first post to me, you came on this board and baited me in a dismissive tone.
With all due respect: you are wrong! :smile:

In my first post to you I pointed out that you are acutely aware of what needs to be done yet are choosing to ignore it. That is hardly dismissive. I a merely pointing out that that your role in your situation is very active and that you already recognise the solution. If you send an email to your lovely teacher (long life to him) I am sure that he will verify this.

It is not dismissive to say: "Do not rely on the deluded ranting of internet strangers setting themselves up as experts."

Go with your "inner wisdom" and when in doubt ask your teacher. It's a winning combination.

And what I said above is not my opinion, it is reality. From my personal experience and that of many other practitioners I know (both advanced and beginners) that have shared their knowledge with me: Clinging to experiences causes obstacles, treating experiences with equanimity and integrating them into the path causes progress.

No surprise there. It is in all the practice manuals too, if you don't believe me read them yourself.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."

amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:48 am

Who sets themselves up as experts Greg?

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:59 am

amanitamusc wrote:Who sets themselves up as experts Greg?
I am talking in general.

amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:44 am

Sherab Dorje wrote:
amanitamusc wrote:Who sets themselves up as experts Greg?
I am talking in general.
Since you have spotted those pseudo experts .You have acquired an ability quite useful .

Becoming a bit of an expert are you ?

You are the one giving unsolicited advise on this thread.

lisasimmarco

Post by lisasimmarco » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:30 pm

Sherab Dorje,

I was thinking about it last night, and I decided to change my mind and respond to you. I think you are very wise, very pure in your commitment and devotion to the Dharma, a veritable lion. I actually do wonder if Vajrakilaya is your personal yidam.

I wish that I had been more evolved in my responses to you. I still have a long way to go.

It's a good thing that I didn't post about the out-of-body experience that happened after that, where I became filled with terror, cried to God for help and then said to myself, "Oh, right! I'm a Buddhist!" and shouted internally, " Garchen! Garchen...." and slammed back into my body.

Maybe I didn't post about it because I wasn't attached to the experience?....hmmmmm... :rolleye:

Sherab Dorje, I wasn't kidding when I said I loved you. You are my sangha brother and if we were on a lifeboat together that was sinking, I would save you before I even thought of my own life. I would do this because of the wisdom of the 37 Practices of a Bodhisattva.

The exception to this is if my three remaining kitties were on board. I would definitely save them before you. But then, I would have to decide which of them to save first, and by that time we would have all drowned.

:rolling:

May all beings, boundless as the sky, know happiness and the causes of happiness
May they be free of suffering and the causes of suffering
May they never be separated from the joy that knows no sorrow
May they rest in equanimity, free from attachment and aversion

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:53 pm

amanitamusc wrote:Since you have spotted those pseudo experts .You have acquired an ability quite useful .

I have this other useful ability too: the capacity to spot trolls.

If you have a problem and are incapable of discriminating between general remarks and personal attacks, then there are a couple of good therapists I can introduce you to, if you want to deal with your problem.

Please feel free to add something intelligent to this conversation.

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:56 pm

lisasimmarco wrote:The exception to this is if my three remaining kitties were on board. I would definitely save them before you.
So would I! Kitties before women and children!

amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:14 pm

Sherab Dorje wrote:
amanitamusc wrote:Since you have spotted those pseudo experts .You have acquired an ability quite useful .

If you have a problem and are incapable of discriminating between general remarks and personal attacks, then there are a couple of good therapists I can introduce you to, if you want to deal with your problem.

You should try practicing what yuou preach.You with such dominant intelect? :coffee:

Your use of ad hominem and personal attacks are very much troll like.

lelopa

Post by lelopa » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:03 am

Sherab Dorje wrote:
lisasimmarco wrote:The exception to this is if my three remaining kitties were on board. I would definitely save them before you.
So would I! Kitties before women and children!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
ཨོཾ་ཨཱཿཧཱུྃ་བོ་དྷི་ཙིཏྟ་མ་ཧཱ་སུ་ཁ་ཛྙཱ་ན་དྷཱརྟུ་ཨཱཿ

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:35 am

amanitamusc wrote:
Sherab Dorje wrote:

You should try practicing what yuou preach.You with such dominant intelect? :coffee:

Your use of ad hominem and personal attacks are very much troll like.
I did not attack or even respond to you at a personal level at any point in time in this thread. So please, pretty please, let go of all the paranoid rambling and bugger off. I am actually trying to have an intelligent conversation and your personal interventions are beginning to become extraordinarily annoying. Thank you.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:10 am

newbie wrote:Keep practicing to stabilize the process!

:anjali:

Bump. :namaste:
If you use the word 'mind' without defining your terms I will ask you politely for a definition. :smile:
This is not to be awkward. But it's really not self-explanatory.

muni

Post by muni » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:02 am

See all experiences as precious stones on which to continue on the purifying journey. This can only by letting go, other ways we have to try to remain standing on such stone while wondering what kind of stone it might be.

An experience on the underground/tube/metro: I was sitting in such a underground train and it was full of people. All little heads wobbling by the movement of the train. In each one of them is a whole world playing, all kind of experiences, sensations and so on are flowing after each other. This world is conducted by what we experience as I. Dharma experiences as being practices, whether elaborated or very simple, are said to be like cleaning soaps to give rise to clarity, which is not just a passing. And by which compassion arises for all the wobbling heads, suffering by being slave of thoughts, feelings, emotions, or all kind of experiences...just like we all experience.

Wishing you good journey, from one step/soap to the following. :namaste:
May all beings have happiness and the cause of happiness.
May they be free of suffering and the cause of suffering.
May they never be disassociated from the supreme happiness which is without suffering.
May they remain in the boundless equanimity, free from both attachment to close ones and rejection of others.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:23 am

Lisa do NOT see ANY experience as a 'precious stone' would be my advice.

See experiences rather as a tree sees its leaves in autumn, they may be beautiful or dull..but in both cases just let them go into the breeze.
Dharma life is not a process of accumulation. It is a process of shedding.

As a rule of thumb Lisa I think that Vajrayana students should seek advice only from those who have formally gone for Refuge with a recognised Vajrayana teacher. Even better if they are students in the same Vajrayana tradition. In this case the Karma Kagyu.

:namaste:
Last edited by Simon E. on Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you use the word 'mind' without defining your terms I will ask you politely for a definition. :smile:

muni

Post by muni » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:41 am

I think by letting go I made myself clear, Simon, whether we see it as precious stones or leaves from last year or steps on a ladder...the most importance is to encourage practice by letting go.

Let go grasping to whatever expression is maybe one we may not forget. Thank you!
Last edited by muni on Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
May they never be disassociated from the supreme happiness which is without suffering.
May they remain in the boundless equanimity, free from both attachment to close ones and rejection of others.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:45 am

Gosh, its amazing how defensive the egoless often are.
I think I will stick to struggling with my ego.
It means taking things less personally I find.

amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:42 am

Simon E. wrote:
newbie wrote:Keep practicing to stabilize the process!

:anjali:

Bump. :namaste:
Bump :consoling:

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:03 pm

'Bump' is an online convention used when bringing a post back to the top of the thread. Often because the 'bumper' feels that a post has not been appreciated fully.
Or as in this case, because it actually answered the OP completely many posts back.

muni

Post by muni » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:15 pm

May all beings, boundless as the sky, know happiness and the causes of happiness
May they be free of suffering and the causes of suffering
May they never be separated from the joy that knows no sorrow
May they rest in equanimity, free from attachment and aversion
By which the dedication prayer flows genuinely: by the merit of practice, may all be freed from negative forces, beyond the ocean of samsara, freed from birth and death.

As maybe also not to forget the importance of dedication for all and all, allowing the experiences by samsaras' dichotomy 'me and other' to fade.

Return to “Kagyu”