Jamgon Kongtrul IV "leaves role"

Knotty Veneer

Jamgon Kongtrul IV "leaves role"

Post by Knotty Veneer »

Apparently this is from his FB page: https://www.facebook.com/nyima20/posts/ ... cation=ufi

Anyone any more info on this?
This is not the wrong life.
philji

Re: Jamgon Kongtrul IV "leaves role"

Post by philji »

Sad that the Kagyu lineage is still facing such difficulties.
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

"People are fond of saying all sorts of things about others behind their backs, mentioning their names again and again. Instead of slandering others in this way, “slander” the yidam: utter his name repeatedly by reciting his mantra all the time." - Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche - Zurchungpa’s Testament - Shambhala Publications
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Sigh...such a burden on young shoulders.
The basic problem is that the tulku system evolved in a very different world from that which prevails now universally.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
philji

Post by philji »

The article above is 3 years old but maybe still ongoing.
Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

Can find absolutely nothing on the internet about this which is odd. I would have thought that this would have been big news if true. Only other ref I could find is on an anti-Karmapa blog called tinfoilusnishna.

FB post looks valid enough, though. Pity if it is true, but a Simon points out, a big responsibility to place on young shoulders.
philji

Post by philji »

There is a letter on FB from Jamgon Rinpoche Labrang confirming Rinpoche is no longer a monk.. There is a ru our that he left back in April but can't confirm.
Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

philji wrote:There is a letter on FB from Jamgon Rinpoche Labrang confirming Rinpoche is no longer a monk.. There is a ru our that he left back in April but can't confirm.
So it seems to be true. The orignal FB post talks about April 14. I hope he is happier in whatever he chooses to do now.

https://www.facebook.com/87133108293442 ... =3&theater

More difficult times for the lineage. Just when it look liked things were settling down. Looks like the tulku system really is looking past its sell-by date in the diaspora. So many young tulkus struggling to take on the roles assigned them.
philji

Post by philji »

Yes so many problems within the Tulku system... And yet there are still some great young tulkus appearing. May be the training needs to be adjusted to take into account 21century and the difficulties we/ they will face.
Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

philji wrote:Yes so many problems within the Tulku system... And yet there are still some great young tulkus appearing. May be the training needs to be adjusted to take into account 21century and the difficulties we/ they will face.
It may well be that this sort of thing was as common in the past. In Tibet, however, a young tulku had much fewer alternatives and had to stick it out whether they wanted to or not. I don't think he should be made to do it if he doesn't want to. I am sure he can benefit beings in many ways.
philji

Post by philji »

Knotty Veneer wrote:
philji wrote:Yes so many problems within the Tulku system... And yet there are still some great young tulkus appearing. May be the training needs to be adjusted to take into account 21century and the difficulties we/ they will face.
It may well be that this sort of thing was as common in the past. In Tibet, however, a young tulku had much fewer alternatives and had to stick it out whether they wanted to or not. I don't think he should be made to do it if he doesn't want to. I am sure he can benefit beings in many ways.
Agreed.
honestdboy

Post by honestdboy »

There are many ways to be a good tulku. Obviously, he cares about the environment and wishes to help others by being a doctor. He probably wants to have a good modern education like most of us do/did. I wish him happiness and its causes. Hats off to him. :namaste:
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Pleasant journey. :namaste:
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Knotty Veneer wrote:Can find absolutely nothing on the internet about this which is odd. I would have thought that this would have been big news if true. Only other ref I could find is on an anti-Karmapa blog called tinfoilusnishna.

FB post looks valid enough, though. ...
Yes it is. I asked one of the offices on his official website and they answered, the news is valid.
tns225

Post by tns225 »

Time for radical change in how we raise our tulkus
-Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 6727489150
BuddhaFollower

Post by BuddhaFollower »

Dilgo Khyentse, Dudjom Rinpoche etc. were not monks either.

You can leave monkhood.
Just recognize the conceptualizing mind.

Return to “Kagyu”