Jamgon Kongtrul IV "leaves role"

Post Reply
Knotty Veneer
Posts: 484
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:50 pm

Jamgon Kongtrul IV "leaves role"

Post by Knotty Veneer » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:07 am

Apparently this is from his FB page: https://www.facebook.com/nyima20/posts/ ... cation=ufi

Anyone any more info on this?
“Trump’s grand and vulgar self-absorption is inviting all of us to examine our own selfishness. His ignorance calls us to attend to our own blind spots. The fears that he stokes and the isolation he promotes goad us to be braver, more generous.” - James S. Gordon.

philji
Posts: 763
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 2:26 pm

Re: Jamgon Kongtrul IV "leaves role"

Post by philji » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:13 am

Sad that the Kagyu lineage is still facing such difficulties.

Yeti
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:30 pm

Re: Jamgon Kongtrul IV "leaves role"

Post by Yeti » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:31 am

"When a Dzogchen Yogi hears Shakyamuni Buddha turning the Wheel of the Dharma of the Four Noble Truths he hears Samathabhadra proclaiming the most profound Dzogpachenpo." - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche

Simon E.
Posts: 5545
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 11:09 am

Re: Jamgon Kongtrul IV "leaves role"

Post by Simon E. » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:14 am

Sigh...such a burden on young shoulders.
The basic problem is that the tulku system evolved in a very different world from that which prevails now universally.
If you use the word 'mind' without defining your terms I will ask you politely for a definition. :smile:
This is not to be awkward. But it's really not self-explanatory.

philji
Posts: 763
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 2:26 pm

Re: Jamgon Kongtrul IV "leaves role"

Post by philji » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:26 am

The article above is 3 years old but maybe still ongoing.

Knotty Veneer
Posts: 484
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:50 pm

Re: Jamgon Kongtrul IV "leaves role"

Post by Knotty Veneer » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:13 pm

Can find absolutely nothing on the internet about this which is odd. I would have thought that this would have been big news if true. Only other ref I could find is on an anti-Karmapa blog called tinfoilusnishna.

FB post looks valid enough, though. Pity if it is true, but a Simon points out, a big responsibility to place on young shoulders.
“Trump’s grand and vulgar self-absorption is inviting all of us to examine our own selfishness. His ignorance calls us to attend to our own blind spots. The fears that he stokes and the isolation he promotes goad us to be braver, more generous.” - James S. Gordon.

philji
Posts: 763
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 2:26 pm

Re: Jamgon Kongtrul IV "leaves role"

Post by philji » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:59 pm

There is a letter on FB from Jamgon Rinpoche Labrang confirming Rinpoche is no longer a monk.. There is a ru our that he left back in April but can't confirm.

Knotty Veneer
Posts: 484
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:50 pm

Re: Jamgon Kongtrul IV "leaves role"

Post by Knotty Veneer » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:10 pm

philji wrote:There is a letter on FB from Jamgon Rinpoche Labrang confirming Rinpoche is no longer a monk.. There is a ru our that he left back in April but can't confirm.
So it seems to be true. The orignal FB post talks about April 14. I hope he is happier in whatever he chooses to do now.

https://www.facebook.com/87133108293442 ... =3&theater

More difficult times for the lineage. Just when it look liked things were settling down. Looks like the tulku system really is looking past its sell-by date in the diaspora. So many young tulkus struggling to take on the roles assigned them.
“Trump’s grand and vulgar self-absorption is inviting all of us to examine our own selfishness. His ignorance calls us to attend to our own blind spots. The fears that he stokes and the isolation he promotes goad us to be braver, more generous.” - James S. Gordon.

philji
Posts: 763
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 2:26 pm

Re: Jamgon Kongtrul IV "leaves role"

Post by philji » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:16 pm

Yes so many problems within the Tulku system... And yet there are still some great young tulkus appearing. May be the training needs to be adjusted to take into account 21century and the difficulties we/ they will face.

Knotty Veneer
Posts: 484
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:50 pm

Re: Jamgon Kongtrul IV "leaves role"

Post by Knotty Veneer » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:22 pm

philji wrote:Yes so many problems within the Tulku system... And yet there are still some great young tulkus appearing. May be the training needs to be adjusted to take into account 21century and the difficulties we/ they will face.
It may well be that this sort of thing was as common in the past. In Tibet, however, a young tulku had much fewer alternatives and had to stick it out whether they wanted to or not. I don't think he should be made to do it if he doesn't want to. I am sure he can benefit beings in many ways.
“Trump’s grand and vulgar self-absorption is inviting all of us to examine our own selfishness. His ignorance calls us to attend to our own blind spots. The fears that he stokes and the isolation he promotes goad us to be braver, more generous.” - James S. Gordon.

philji
Posts: 763
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 2:26 pm

Re: Jamgon Kongtrul IV "leaves role"

Post by philji » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:27 pm

Knotty Veneer wrote:
philji wrote:Yes so many problems within the Tulku system... And yet there are still some great young tulkus appearing. May be the training needs to be adjusted to take into account 21century and the difficulties we/ they will face.
It may well be that this sort of thing was as common in the past. In Tibet, however, a young tulku had much fewer alternatives and had to stick it out whether they wanted to or not. I don't think he should be made to do it if he doesn't want to. I am sure he can benefit beings in many ways.
Agreed.

honestdboy
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:29 pm

Re: Jamgon Kongtrul IV "leaves role"

Post by honestdboy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:08 pm

There are many ways to be a good tulku. Obviously, he cares about the environment and wishes to help others by being a doctor. He probably wants to have a good modern education like most of us do/did. I wish him happiness and its causes. Hats off to him. :namaste:

smcj
Posts: 5757
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 6:13 am

Re: Jamgon Kongtrul IV "leaves role"

Post by smcj » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:11 pm

Pleasant journey. :namaste:
I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against Lama abuse.

User avatar
Ayu
Former staff member
Posts: 6973
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:25 am
Location: Europe

Re: Jamgon Kongtrul IV "leaves role"

Post by Ayu » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:00 am

Knotty Veneer wrote:Can find absolutely nothing on the internet about this which is odd. I would have thought that this would have been big news if true. Only other ref I could find is on an anti-Karmapa blog called tinfoilusnishna.

FB post looks valid enough, though. ...
Yes it is. I asked one of the offices on his official website and they answered, the news is valid.
I have decided to stick with love.
Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

tns225
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:16 am

Re: Jamgon Kongtrul IV "leaves role"

Post by tns225 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:03 am

Time for radical change in how we raise our tulkus
-Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 6727489150

BuddhaFollower
Posts: 602
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:41 pm

Re: Jamgon Kongtrul IV "leaves role"

Post by BuddhaFollower » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:51 pm

Dilgo Khyentse, Dudjom Rinpoche etc. were not monks either.

You can leave monkhood.
Just recognize the conceptualizing mind.

Post Reply

Return to “Kagyu”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cmjd3055 and 20 guests